Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The Alfie effect

So Alfie comes back from an injury and the team's overall play is improved dramatically. This is not the 1st time we've seen this happen.
It's pretty much every time Alfie gets hurt and comes back. I think the Sens are 11-24-1 without him in the lineup.

Here's a quote from Foligno on tsn.ca

"Oh absolutely," Senators left-winger Nick Foligno said. "He's the heart and soul of this team and he's our captain for a reason. Just having him back shows how big he is on our team and what he can do on any given night. He's brought that leadership, that stability, and we've all fed off of him."

If this is the case, and evidence of the Sens' record without Alfie certainly indicates that it is.... WHY? is it that there hasn't been retaliation of any kind when an opposing player takes a cheap shot at our captain.

Other teams need to know that you don't mess with our captain. The Sens as a team need to send a message that if you even look at him the wrong way, you'll pay the price. Alfie has proven that he's willing to lay it all on the line for this team. It's time for the team to do the same for him. Not just the big boys (Neil, Phillips, Fisher, Carkner, Volchenkov, Donovan) We need all of our players to buy into the "you don't mess with Alfie" attitude.

If they can do that, then they can also have the "you don't mess with anyone on our team" attitude. Now if they can do that, then maybe they'll learn to play with the same tenacity with or without Alfie in the line up. He's 37 and probably only has a few more years left. So they can't rely on him for ever.

January 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I dont think its a matter of people not being willing to stick up for alfie. Its without doubt that the guys in the dressing room love alfie or we wouldnt see such a difference in their play. Im not quite sure who suggested it out of the three amigos but it wouldnt suprise me if alfie would be the "forget about it and lets play the game" kind of guy. Cark tried to get a bit of revenge on the last hit but it wouldnt shock me if his hands were somewhat tied.

January 21, 2010 at 5:02 PM | Registered CommenterPhlax

did anyone see what Daniel Carcillo did to Gaborik last nite, their Superstar gets the tar beat out of him by a goon and not one
other player on the ice comes to his defense at the time. Reminds me of another superstar on a certain team we root for.

January 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Gaborik started it with Carcillo. If you poke a dog with a stick you'll get bitten. Gaborik got what he asked for.
So, it's totally different from what happened to a certain someone on a certain team we cheer for.

January 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM | Registered CommenterTank Dawg