Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Bad Reffing in the NHL??? No way ...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305786

Burrows may be just chirping, but the back story there sounds pretty dirty. How many times have we judged the refs agenda with regards to the Sens ...? Time to air some dirty laundry ...

January 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

We can't just hang this on the refs. The NHL has a boys club and there is favoritism from the top down. We desperately need to replace Bettman with someone who will bring honesty, consistency, and fairness to the league.

January 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

This is gonna get dirty, and I mean DIRTY, for everyone involved. Both have reputations, so it will be even more of a he said vs he said. If what AB is accusing Auger o doing is indeed true, then that's very troubling. There is a reason the score score sheet is blank when you start the game. Those mentioning that Burrows has a rep or had it coming could be in the same mind set of Auger. If what Burrows predicts does come true, the Canucks missing the playoffs by 1 point, then Nucks fans will hold a grudge for a long time.

January 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM | Registered CommenterBrennan Dixon

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/?id=305809

here's a great blog by bob mckenzie. really gives it the once over and does it fairly, looking at it from all sides.

good read.

January 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Brian Lewis was on "Off the Record" and was asked about this mess. Being an old ref of course he said no way a ref would say something like that. I love this. I have no doubt that certain refs have it out for the Sens and this is going to put a spot light on the whole officiating mess.

January 12, 2010 at 8:16 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

i'll put my money that this just get's glossed over and swept under the carpet. as usual.

January 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

They'll try but for the next while, people are going to question any bad call and wonder if something is going on. This may make certain refs think twice before making bogus calls. This could help the Sens, especially when certain refs are out there.

January 12, 2010 at 8:55 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

I was watching this game and it was totally obvious that Burrows didn't interfere w anyone during the late PP that the
Canucks had. Then it was 4 on 4 and Sedin did trip a Pred player and then it was a 4-3 w 3 minutes left in game and it
cost Canucks a chance to go to OT. Preds scored on the 4 - 3.
Shorthouse and Garrett the announcers were dumbfounded like I was because there was no interference that any of us
could see. Total bogus call and the same ref called a dive on Burrows earlier in the game that was real shaky too.
I hate refs but this was a real retribution and this ref should be suspended for sure.

January 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

sure makes you wonder when you see one of those "how could he not call that?" calls. maybe there is a reason other than incompetence.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

i take no pride in telling you I told you so.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305888

January 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

man u were right, a ref could say anything outside out of earshot of any other person and you can't do anything about it.

All the weasel has to do is lie and he's home free, they never explain the interference call on Burrows, where the hell
was the interference that is as plain as anything. God I hate Bettman and Colin Campbell and all that crap in the NHL
office

January 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Too bad Burrows wasn't mic'd up for TSN or something. Now that would have made it real interesting to have a recording of that conversation durring the warm-up and everything else leading up to Burrows getting the game misconduct.

January 13, 2010 at 9:20 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

In every arena when Auger is announced as one of the refs, the fans should boo as loud as they can.

January 13, 2010 at 12:11 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

As expected, Butman and the NHL have decided to try and sweep the Burrow's matter under the rug and hope the whole mess goes away. Burrow's was given a fine, $2,500, but no suspension. The lack of any real punishment over what is a serious matter indicates that the NHL is nervous and hope by issuing what amounts to no more than a slap on the wrist, Burrow's will let the matter drop. If they had decided to hammer him, he probably would have dragged the union into it and there would have been a lot more unwanted publicity.

To bad they couldn't find someone who reads lips and try and figure out what was really said.

January 13, 2010 at 3:49 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Get rid of them, then. If the refs can't be counted on to be impartial on on-ice calls and simply call the rules as they apply, go to a total video review system. Review every ref call and point out a change or error WHEN they're made. Video review already shows us how many things people get away with out there (i.e "... oh, Neil got away with one there ...") ... just eliminate the problem altogether. Right now so long as the on-ice ref is distracted or screened, anything goes ... it requires a near act of God to get an on-ice decision overturned. If the original hit that Burrows allegedly dove on was peer-reviewed at the time and not after the game, maybe Auger wouldn't have felt the need to take it any further ... likewise, if a ref makes a questionable or dirty call, he can be called on the carpet for it later ...

... if we can slow down an HD camera to show us how many hairs are sticking out of Iginla's chin, then why don't we use it and get rid of the on-ice refs ...

As fans, we're not stupid - the NHL is treating us as if we are. If we can see it and question it ... if we can plainly see that the emperor has no clothes and call it as we see it ... then we can emotionally involve ourselves in the game we love and call infractions of the rules as they occur. Define hooking - then call it every time.

If the rules don't matter, then we all just say 'whatever' and let apathy reign ...

January 13, 2010 at 9:21 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

The NHL is having their own little Macbeth moment here ... out, out damned spot ...

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/columnists/story.html?id=6e331129-2031-451c-8aef-2a3bbcdfeb7b

http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id=ee671142-3e54-4953-9b01-21bdabab1d73&add_feed_url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.faceoff.com%2ftopstories.atom

... it's not going awaaay, Colin. You might want to deal with it ...

January 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

i didn't see this the other but i found the youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaNNvFCm9XE

i have always been a big ron mclean fan but this is just shameful. the sheer bias that mclean, a referee, shows in this interview is disgusting. i am not defending burrows or taking his side at all, but mclean is completely unprofessional here.

January 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

A. Vingneaut the Vancouver Coach agrees w you Russell, All anyone has to do is watch the video of the penalty called on
Burrows for interference and see that is never a penalty in a game. After the jackass ref calls it he fu**ing smirks as he
goes back to his position. If Ron Mclean had watched as he claims the video his biased ass would have seen that.
Just sayin

January 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Another reason that the CBC sucks. That segment couldn't have been more one sided.

A few referees in the NHL need this kind of treatment.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0dc_1263644436

January 18, 2010 at 6:38 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

The part that bothers me is the 'thou shalt not question the referee' attitude in all of this ...

If his call is valid, then there should be no question or fear of a question. Yup, that's icing. Yup, that's a high-stick. Yup, he dove on that one ...

... who watches the watchmen, indeed ... apparently we do and we don't like what we see.

January 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

the leafs were called for an unsportsmanlike pen late in the game last night. ponikarovsky slammed the bench door ( like that's the first time a hockey player has done that) as he was frustrated with a pen he just served. the ref didn't like being showed up and gave him anoher two mins. again, a ref's ego overiding his common sense.

oh, by the way, the ref was... Stephane Auger.

January 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell