Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > LaClaire

Just my opinion... he blows. Flame away.

January 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

LeClaire, however, rocks! Despite those softies he's letting in....

January 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

La, Le, doesn't matter. The french guy between the pipes looks like he wouldn't make an OHL team the way he's been playing. Fans may not want it but there's a goalie crisis brewing in Ottawa unless Leclaire (or Elliott for that matter) can pull his stuff together right quick.

January 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM | Registered CommenterHTSensNut

Sorry, I thought it was a feminine Claire... didn't realize it was masculine.

January 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Personally I could go for an eclair right now

January 8, 2010 at 3:50 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

This guy is a good goaltender. It's just to early to completely give up on him.

Let's put it this way. He's only played 24 games this season, of which his record is 11-8, and that's not a terrible record for a starting goaltender. Yes his save % sucks ass, but you have to keep in mind that this team is terrible defensively outside of the first pairing. Couple that with almost NO goal support, and 11-8 starts to look pretty good to me. The thing i think people are having trouble with is when he loses, he loses BADLY. I'll be the first to admit that he had an apocalyptic game last night, 4/5 were brutal goals. But he just needs to get back to the technical basics. He's such a great reactor, but like Mcguire said today, he's constantly losing his net. Those are things that can be fixed, BUT FIRE ELI F*CKING WILSON. That guy has made goaltenders with promise turn into complete turds, so i would start there.

We have to give this guy the whole season before we send him packing. Besides, all we gave up for him was Vermette, and i can easily do without that guy. Let's take a deep breath!!!

January 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

I saw in the Sun today, that Pascal is pissed that people are on him for playing badly. I believe he said something like, "F**k, I make mistakes (he probably threw in an Hostie or Chalice for good measure.) But I did a lot of good things..." or somethign to that effect, which was true, but the mistakes made the game impossible to win.

Does anyone remember how well that young Brodeur fellow played? I can't help but think that it would be worthwhile to see if that was a fluke.

January 8, 2010 at 6:57 PM | Registered CommenterPortera

He just needs more time to get into a groove, once he does the weak goals be less frequent. The weak goals he does let in are fixable, he just needs to work on his positioning, like Gert said. Either way he is the best goalie we have right now, and he has previously shown that he can be a starter. Elliot is young and may be a starter one day but he isn't right now, and statistically he's not any better than leclaire. Brodeur has one game of NHL experience and calling him up would be admitting that we have no confidence Leclaire or Elliot. Lehner has rebound control issues but was recently named the OHL goaltender of the month so he has some promise, but I would imagine he is at least two years away (unless they rush him).

Leclaire is under contract for next season and his cap hit is only 3.8 million which makes him one of the cheapest goalies in the league, and you get what you pay for. We can't expect Leclaire to be an an elite, lights-out goaltender every night unless we are willing to pay him (or anyone) as such. I know this doesn't excuse the weak goals he's let in but if he's still letting them in by the end of the season then maybe it's time to complain. Anyways whether we like it or not we're stuck with Leclaire and Elliot for the foreseeable future as goaltending is the most key position in hockey and your not gonna get a quality starting goaltender in free-agency or via trade because no gm (not even sather) is gonna give up a worth while goalie for cheap.

January 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM | Registered CommenterJames Raen

I have no doubt that Leclaire can be a very capable NHL starter. The problem is, he hasn't been. Even when he was playing lights-out (for a short while), he was still letting in softy on a fairly regular basis. Virtually every hockey player that's played a position outside of goalie knows that nothing kills the confidence of your team more than a goalie that you can't count on. It creeps into your mind all the time...if I make a mistake, it might end up in the back of the net.

People shouldn't take the railing on Leclaire as an indication that we've given up on the guy...we all hope he succeeds. He just needs to show it to us before a) his confidence gets shot or b) the team in front of him feels they can't count on him. Both of these scenarios are deadly.

January 9, 2010 at 12:19 AM | Registered CommenterHTSensNut

I wonder what the habs would want for Halak. Probably would refuse to deal with Sens.

January 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior