Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > What's more important?

So this is my second full hockey season in Canadaland. It seems to me that the World Juniors is more looked forward to and considered more important than the World Cup - I figured that this was mainly because the World Juniors seem to be in Canada (or is this not the case every year) and that the timing of the world cup means that a lot of the NHL best players aren't appearing.

I wondered what this means for the Olympics, when the best players (despite the efforts of Gary Bettman) are there - so what does the average Canadian look forward to more? The World Juniors or the Olympics?

December 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

For me, in order: 1) olympics, 2) world juniors, 3) world cup

See #3 just has players from all the bad teams which aren't in NHL playoffs. Whereas other two have the best of best (supposedly) and there has been some level of auditioning.

December 11, 2009 at 1:12 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

There are 2 reasons why the World Juniors is huge here.

1. TSN tells us it is important. Face it they made this what it is here.
2. We want to watch the best in the world play. The World Juniors showcases the best Juniors in the world, basically the NHL futures (mind you some Juniors are already in the NHL and there teams will not give them up for the tourney). But what is the World Cup? It is the best players already eliminated from the NHL playoffs, not the best in the World (unlike the Olympics).

December 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

1) Olympics with NHL players is single biggest event in Canada and unrivaled in it's ability to get an entire country, both lovers of hockey and the casual fan, excited.

2) World Juniors - Every Canadian hockey fan in Canada looks forward to it. With the exception of the city in where it's played, most casual fans don't really get up for it.

3) World Cup - this tournament is designed to provide solace for die-hard fans of teams that don't make the playoffs.

As for me, I've been watching World Junior hockey for as long as I can remember and I absolutely love it! There's something about watching young, hungry players give everything they've got every single shift. Most NHL players tend to loose that edge.

December 12, 2009 at 8:15 AM | Registered CommenterHTSensNut

maybe i'm the odd man out here but I really don't get that pumped up for the olympic thing. I know it's the best tourney but i guess it's because I grew up with the canada cup and the summit series, when international hockey was something special and unique. we HATED the russians yet respected them so much. (pretending to be Yakushev and karlamov playing street hockey. too fun) it's just not the same anymore because foreign players are an everyday thing now. the 1987 canada cup final against the russians were three of the best hockey games you'll ever see. get the dvd!

the juniors just has an energy to it you can't get outside of the stanley cup finals. these kids just go all out every shift and don't take prisoners. after watching three months of lackluster nhl reg season hockey, it's a welcome relief. plus it's so often the coming out of future stars.

the world cup is just an also ran. growing up, before the international players started in the nhl, canada never had a chance as it was always their best against our cast offs. it was never a true tourney. not too mention it takes place during the playoffs.

December 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

For me it's World Juniors, Olympics, then the World Championships.

The World Junior's is my favourite because these kids are playing for fun. They're not worrying about contracts [well maybe, but that's second to just playing for their country], or the politics of hockey, they just go out there to have fun. It's refreshing to get all this salary cup, "you're supposed to be our number 1 centre so we'll put you there even though you suck" and other drama out of the game and just see some good hockey. And that's exactly what it is, just damn good hockey and nothing else. Plus my loyalty towards junior players [specifically the WHL] is a lot more than the NHL. I am so in love with the WHL and its players. I love that entire league the same way I love the Sens.

Olympics are great because it's truly the best in the world competing for a title. Plus it's really the only hockey on at the time, so you don't have a choice but to watch.

World Championships are just at the worst possible time so we have to send all the NHL playoff rejects there. I'd rather watch the NHL playoffs then wake up early for the WC, so I really don't care about this tournament.

December 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM | Registered Commenterinnocent-sheep

Dudes, the World Cup and World Championships are completely different things.

I would say the Olympics, World Cup, World Juniors, then World Championships.

Because the Olympics are only once every 4 years, I put the World Cup ahead of the World Juniors. The World Juniors... you get those every year. Even though it's just a money grab for the NHL and NHLPA, the World Cup outranks the Juniors 'cuz the quality of players is better and we see that kind of tournament very sparingly.

December 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM | Registered Commentersensfanleeman

sorry, i meant world championships.

December 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Well where does the World Cup rank for most? My guess is that I would be in the minority in saying it means more than the Juniors....

December 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM | Registered Commentersensfanleeman

i've mentioned on the show that I think the pros should go back to the world cup and leave the olympics to the amateurs. i'm all for the old format.

December 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell