Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Savard

7 years $4.2 mill per year cap hit

Now I adore my mancrush - but having Savard signed to more or less the same contract that Fisher is signed to puts it into perspective somewhat.

December 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

this is going to really get Stooli's mancrush on Chiarelli foaming. that is a great signing for one of the best set-up 1st line centers in the game. awesome deal for the Bruins.

December 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

only downside for Bruins is he'll be 39-40 when deal is done

but they do have a top 5 pick this year thanks to a stupid team in Ontario

December 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

2 years to long. He may have 4 or 5 decent years left.

December 2, 2009 at 12:44 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Just right, because when those last two years come and he's feeling tired and not interested in pocketing $525K per, he'll retire, he'll come off their cap, and the Bruins will have gotten five years of a player for more than a million dollar cap discount.

December 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM | Registered CommenterSENShobo

That's what is so brilliant about it. If they only signed him for the 5 years, he'd have wanted the same money and would have been a bigger cap hit. So they pay him the same money, but stretch the length of the contract. If they are done with him after 5 they buy him out.

Look at this:
$29.4 million deal.
If they signed him for 5 years that'd be $5.88 mil per year. An extra $1.7 on the cap each year.
Worst case, after 5 years they buy him out it saves them another $2.8 million off the total contract

The other thing to keep in mind is that Savard will have a longer career than Fisher based on how they play. The risk is minimal and worth it.

December 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

I hear a lot of people whining on the radio about how this isn't a good deal because of the term. Bottom line, they got a 90 point/year guy for 4.2, that's an amazing deal. Even if he slips in the last 2 years, he'll still put up 50 - 60 points. Rocket deal for Boston for sure.

December 2, 2009 at 5:59 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

tell me right now, right here, who out there would take spezza at 7.5 million a year over savard at 4.2 million per year? right now?

December 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

is the answer jesus?

December 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

I'll take jesus over both those guys.

December 2, 2009 at 9:07 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

Knew someone would bring up Spezza's bloated contract that most of us were happy he signed but now.........

Who knew u could circumvent the cap with these long deals when Spezza signed his

Question for Hobo so he can retire before years 6 and 7 and no penalty at all to Bruins?? If that is the case it's a totally brilliant contract.

December 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

it's not a comment on if spezza's is too much, I'm just saying it's a great deal for the bruins, comparitively.

December 2, 2009 at 10:58 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I don't like it.

December 3, 2009 at 2:46 AM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Other GMs understood how to handle the cap with longterm contracts, but Muckler didn't. I am continually amazed by just how bad he screwed over this organization.

December 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM | Registered Commenterpucknut

I like it. Savard is a big factor for the Bruins and now they have him at a reasonable rate for the future.
Gertkenator brings up a good point, even if he slips he's still going to contribute. Though I must disagree with you over taking Jesus over Savard and Spezza, come playoff time Jesus has a history of traditionally getting nailed to the boards.

December 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM | Registered CommenterDanhl

@tjlincoln2000

Question for Hobo so he can retire before years 6 and 7 and no penalty at all to Bruins?? If that is the case it's a totally brilliant contract.

If they retire before the end ... yes they are off the books and the player gets nothing. The only money that is guarantees even after retirement is a contract signed by a 35 year old player that exceeds 2 years in length. One of the scary parts of Afies contract.

December 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM | Registered CommenterStooLi

One advantage Jesus has over Savard or Spezza is that if the ice melts during the game and turns to water, Jesus will still be able to contribute

December 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Speaking of deals...
Are we gonna find Capmbell and his gingerness dead in a dumpster? The Hawks are gonna have to do something if they are to fit the Big 3 under the cap.

December 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM | Registered CommenterBrennan Dixon

Jesus could also pull some nifty pranks with the opposing goalie's water bottle.

December 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

don't be so sure. there's some question as to whether jesus was really so great. see for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik0yz5Jo4Os

December 3, 2009 at 12:43 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Well, at least he wouldn't be the worst PR decision that Ottawa has made. Ya know, I never noticed it before but at the 1:40 mark you can see his lines written on the back of the shield.

December 3, 2009 at 12:47 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

tank army!!!!!!

December 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Somebody buy that guy a microphone!

Could be worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvxQa9Z7z6g&feature=related

December 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Brings the Lumberjack song to mind! Nice!

December 3, 2009 at 5:04 PM | Registered CommenterDanhl

"our mother was a referee" HA!!!

it does sound like the lumberjack song.

December 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell