Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Sens @ Sharks (Oh Dany Boy... ) !!!

And here we are!

We've circled this day on our calendars for the past couple months ... the Senators only game this season against San Jose. There are a couple storylines here including:
- Michalek & Cheechoo playing against their former team
(but most importantly...)
- Senators playing their first game *against* Dany Heatley after demanding a trade (and all the sh*t disturbing that ensued this summer and lead up to training camp)

So, throwing out a bunch of random thoughts:
- Man oh man, 10:30pm EST start. I'm gonna be sick tomorrow!
- I hope we don't see a gutless performance from the Sens and shades of former ex-teamate encounters such as Corvo, etc.
- You just GOTTA beleive the Senators are going to be keyed up for this.
- The fans are KEYED UP!
- Even if the Senators need to play the high road and just play for the win and maybe some of them have it behind them... really... that has GOT to be in the back of their heads.
- Volchenkov is back, but hopefully if he tried to bodycheck Heatley he doesn't reinjure himself
- We are missing Neil, but here is hoping Ruttu gets his pest on!
- Who am I kidding, Heatley doesn't fight, he avoids. A successful game against Heatley is one where we score goals while he is on the ice and he isn't backchecking well.
- Will I even still be awake after the 1st period?
- Will McCleary be referee?
- If Cheechoo is sent out to decaptitate Heatley, and Cheechoo is suspended, are the Senators still on the hook for his salary cap hit?

December 1, 2009 at 9:45 AM | Registered CommenterLegatron

You live up to your moniker there Canuck... starting the game thread 12 hours before puck drop... now that dedication (and hatred for Doucher)

December 1, 2009 at 10:51 AM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Like we all aren't already thinking about the game!!

Surely, I'm not the only Crazy one? (insert Heath Ledger joker laugh here)

Actually... I wonder if Sens fans don't need to thank the Doucher... his off-season antics kept the media off Pascal LeClaire's back all summer long. He had a great start to the season. And this strange puck injury is just more time for him to rest and the media to focus on Elliot (who is doing awesome). We get back a rested and determined to prove himself LeClaire without all the months media pressure!!

Ok, where the hell did that come from? Back to the game... GO SENS GO! KILL DOUCHE KILL!

December 1, 2009 at 10:56 AM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Do u know for sure that Volchenkov is back? According to the game notes he is still on IR. Anyone got a link to an article saying he is back for tonight's game?

Heres the link to the game notes: http://senators.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDFs/091201_Ott-vs-SJ.pdf

December 1, 2009 at 11:36 AM | Registered CommenterG-roy

I heard it on the Team1200 this morning that Volchenkov was back tonight. No links to be found yet. Ottawa Sun is reporting that Brian Elliot is bruised and will be playing hurt tonight. Geez...

December 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM | Registered CommenterLegatron

i wanna see some of our bigs guys put his face into the boards.....

dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher dany doucher

December 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM | Registered CommenterGranNy

I guess radio is an advantage you all get over me... being that I live in Eastern Canada, and dont listen to team1200 much.

December 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM | Registered CommenterG-roy

Hmm instead of taking heatley to court how bout we get Alfie to ask for the teams 4 million dollars back alfie is a goalie, defense player and a forward , coaching and management yet I think yes!

December 1, 2009 at 12:23 PM | Registered CommenterStewart Coutu

I recommend tuning into the Team 1200 from 3-6pm for the Healthy Scratches, should be a good way to get fired up before your pre-game sleep, listen here.

Must say, most I'll have been fired up to watch a game for over a year. At least someone doesn't think Heatley's all that far ahead in terms of real value contributed to his team.

And for some reason, I wonder what would happen if Bob Cole were calling the game?
"Heatley looks poised like stone in the slot... no wait... he's greenish... must have grown roots for stability."
"Whatever is Friedman doing in the Ottawa net? And why is Brodeur on the bench???"
"For the second time tonight, and the first time in history, Heatley has scored on his own team."
"And breaking in at breakneck speed is Mi-CH....CHKKK...." *Heimlich pause* ".....the...Ottawa goalie..."
"....I'm still shocked we haven't seen Sundin yet tonight."

December 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM | Registered CommenterSENShobo

I know we are all wanting Heatley to get absolutely smoked by a big open ice hit tonight, but my understanding was that for a hit to be really effective BOTH players need to be moving at speed which kind of rules Dany out doesn't it....

December 1, 2009 at 2:04 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

F**k you Heatley!

December 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

Volchenkov's in, Campoli's out, and San Jose's playing their backup goalie. Just speculation, but typically with a workhorse like Nabokov, you slip in the backup for an easy opponent during a rough three games in four nights or five in seven stretch. The Sharks didn't play yesterday and won't play tomorrow. So why Greiss?

The Sharks know that for all the public dismissals, the Senators want to win. They want to win because of Heatley's departure from the team, for his slap in the face to Clouston, for his slap to the fans, and for staring at the ceiling while spouting the same tired answers as to his motivation. Volchenkov is back, and while Neil and Donovan are out, it will be a physical and above all punishing game that the Sens want. The Sharks know this. They also know that this is not Philadelphia.

In Philly, Emery wasn't hated the way Heatley has been, and filling him in was the goal to salvage a little revenge, with a win looking to serve just as well, but the whole team could stand up, and did, to help Emery avoid that fate. It's not quite the same for Heatley. Even if he didn't score any goals and was a minus player, if the Sharks win, it'd be seen as Heatley winning. If the Sharks lost, but Heatley potted a couple and it was some timely goals from players not named Spezza, Michalek, or Cheechoo, it'd be seen as a Heatley victory in spirit.

So instead, you see Greiss. Instead of facing down one of the best goaltenders in the League with your top two centers nursing injuries, you are facing down a goalie with a sub-900 save percentage and a GAA above 3. Instead of trying to fill Heatley in, knowing that the Sens need a win to start their trip West off right, needing a win to set their road record right, they'll look at Heatley, and they'll look at Greiss. Maybe between Nabokov and Heatley the Sharks' $7.5 million (ok, $4 million this season), the Sens would look to fill Heatley in, maybe Volchenkov would overlook Heatley's non-rookie status when seeking to add a notch to his belt.

But when it's Greiss and the aforementioned needs of the team being looked at alongside Heatley, while body shots will be taken, it'll be Greiss the Sens seek to fill in, and Heatley the asset that San Jose will have successfully deflected risk from. At least that's the aim, but Sens fans remembering a period ending with Alfie looking to score in the Cup Finals and staring down Niedermayer know, sometimes the aim can still be a little off.

December 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM | Registered CommenterSENShobo

great bob cole imitation, Hobo.

December 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Predictions??

- Cheechoo gets a hat trick and hangs his ass over the Sharks bench ...
- the San Jose announcers mis-pronounce Michalek's name ..."Mick-a-lev? Micky-a-loo? How do you ...?"
- Elliot puts on Brodeur's jersey and comes out - just to mind-f**k San Jose ... shoulda started your number one goalie now, eh, smart guys ...?
- Volchenkov blocks a shot so hard that the puck shatters ...
- Heatley admits his gay crush on Alfie and tries to hug it out ... then is struck dead by a bolt of lightning.
- Spezza admits his gay crush on Heatley and tries to hug it out ... then is struck dead by Volchenkov.
- Fisher scores on the road ... during the game and afterwards ...
- Kovalev skates around the rink and sits back down again ... every shift.

... okay, maybe the last one ...

December 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Awesome Bob Cole impression. And to think we'll likely have to listen to Boob Cole during the 2010 Olympics. Surely, that's gotta be it for Boob?

Time for the pre-game NAP(s)

December 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Campoli sitting Karlsson playing? I guess Clouston is trying to send a message but I think I would rather see Campoli in there.

December 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

boob...hehehehehehehehe

December 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Well lads, starting the forum off nicely. Great passion already. Now if only the Leaftards had lost. Oh wait, the Scabs lost, so its still a great start to the night!

December 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM | Registered CommenterHwydog

GM just said Ottawa media tough?? Of course he had tongue firmly planted in cheeck, and a little grin to boot!

December 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM | Registered CommenterHwydog

YEAH Baby Yeah!

1 hour nap earlier (much earlier, but hey...)... and a grande Starbucks coffee consumed earlier. Feeling good now, let's see in an hour (was up at 6am).

ARE YOU READYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Team1200 was talking about the "possible" need for a backup goalie (to Elliot) on the roster while Pascal is out... Gerber is available. Heh heh heh heh heh. Actually, it does make some sense as I'm sure he's cheap... but ... ha ha ha ha, poor guy doesn't need that does he?

Leafs won eh? I hear the playoff drive is back on now... Burke is a trade away from a contender baby!!!! Yeah Yea... Shredder will understand once he breathes the air down there tomorrow... try the koolaid... it's trippy :)

Why am I rambling on? Because I'm pumped and have no alcohol! Woot woot!!!! GO SENS GO!!!

Oh, and for the record, no way I'm dropping my drawers at the ACC and utter the word suck (even if "Leafs" precedes it).

December 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Why is Joe Thorton going on and on about Heatley's size? Nevermind, don't answer that.

December 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Uh oh, CC you have a major jag on! This should be a good time!

December 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM | Registered CommenterHwydog

Portuondo is a bit of a geek, did he get his start on Muchmusic?

December 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM | Registered CommenterHwydog

"Working on my PC should be easier?" wow... Kirsten... wow!

December 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

heh heh... "accountability arrived, and then a trade request..." nicely said Ian Mendes!

December 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron