Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Episode 5 ready for download... kind'a...

Tuning in to the live feed tonight was the only way you can listen to the real Episode 5. Major technical issues tonight and unfortunately, we weren't able to capture the complete show for the audio podcast.

I only realized half way through the show that my computer was having issues with the recording. I thought we had captured at least the first 45 minutes but then after listening to it, the audio that was captured, was just awful.

Thankfully, the interview we recorded with Ray Ferraro went without a glitch. So we released an episode which basically only contains the interview.

I bought a new iMac last week... the new Macs don't come with Firewire 400 ports anymore (don't know why). My mixer connects to my computer via FW400 so what I did was purchase a converter cable which goes from FW400 to FW800. When I did my initial testing, it seemed to work just fine... I guess I was wrong. It recorded the interview and the bits we added before and after the interview just fine but everything else was just a flop!

Oh well... will have this figured out by next week for sure.

Also, tonight was also the first time we did a show with the game on. I think that'll be the last time we do that. Too much of a distraction... the live streaming we can get used to (and become better at it) but with the game on, it's too much. Plus, I didn't really get to enjoy the game - missed most of it actually. I like to watch hockey games... not have them in the background while doing something else. Regardless, we tried it... and now we know.

Anyway, it is what it is... we'll be back next week all fired-up and ready to go!!

Enjoy the interview.

October 29, 2009 at 12:00 AM | Registered CommenterShredder

LOVED IT!
Hugs and Kisses Shredder.

October 29, 2009 at 12:28 AM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

No worries about the technical glitches Shredder, it'll come around. Although I agree that doing a live stream during a game is distracting. Good thing is that there are only 5 other games that the Sens play on a Wednesday. Three of them are in December. So it would only be a few nights to reschedule.

October 29, 2009 at 6:47 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I would say that my email to you last week was very timely.......... It is good to hear Shredder has the shows legacy as the first priority.

However, I am confused about something. Are you saying something with a Mac didn't work? Or you just didn't know how to make it work??? I was under the assumption that was not possible with a Mac. May I suggest you try Windows 7.

October 29, 2009 at 8:32 AM | Registered CommenterSystine

I knew there was a reason I suggested that someone capture the video to post on Youtube without permission, this will forever be known as the truly lost show. And does this mean that the first email I send this season winds up on the lost show? If you followed me on twitter, I'd publicly berate you :P.

October 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM | Registered CommenterSENShobo

@systine

The problem wasn't with my Mac... in fact, in the 4+ years we've been doing this, it's always been on a Mac. The problem is that new Macs don't come with Firewire 400 ports... not sure why Apple is phasing them out. BTW, most PCs don't even come with Firewire. So what I did was buy a FW400 to FW800 cable to upconvert the signal from my mixer and with my initial testing, it seemed to work just fine. Turns out that the driver (developed by the company who made the mixer I use) has issues with up converting. At least that's what I think it is since that's the only difference between previous configurations. I read some of the documentation that came with the driver and there are known issues...

I'm not gonna get into the Mac vs PC debate... don't really feel the need to. I've been making a living working on and developing for Windows for almost 20 years so I'm well aware of what Windows has to offer. And that's why I have nothing but Macs in my home... Macs aren't perfect, but with the amount of experience I've had working with both Macs and PCs, I'm proud to say I'm a Mac!! But hey, to each there own.

Having said that, I heard Windows 7 is pretty decent. Just wonder why it took so long for MS to get their crap together!! I actually have a copy of Windows 7 with me, haven't installed it yet.

October 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM | Registered CommenterShredder

It was a joke :P

October 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Have you guys considered bringing someone in to handle the technical stuff so you can concentrate on the discussions. At least until all the bugs are ironed out.

October 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

This may not come out right but there's not that people I know that would understand my set-up. And plus, the technical issues we had this week had nothing to do with the streaming. In fact, the streaming part went very well. The problem was due to a different cable I used from my mixer to my new computer.

What I will do from now on is just turn on the stream and forget about it. We'll just do the show like we've always done and if people want to watch then great. So this way, there won't be any distractions on my part since I won't really have to do anything once the show starts...

October 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM | Registered CommenterShredder

That sounds like an excellent plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But how are you going to keep Stooli away from it :P

October 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Best show yet.

October 31, 2009 at 11:47 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

keep pushing my buttons, pops!

October 31, 2009 at 2:00 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell