Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Carkner's 2 year extension

Carks officially signs a 2 year extension worth 1.4 million.So we got a second Neil but for half price?What do you guys think of this?

October 20, 2009 at 2:14 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

Love it, we need guys like Carkner. He's a character guy who'll always give 100% and will stand up for his team mates. That kind of player rubs off on others. I don't see anyone taking runs at LeClaire or Alfie and get away with it anymore.

October 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Carks is now the organizations poster boy for hard work in the minors. I hope someone cuts out the news clipping and puts it in Lee's locker. Bass too.

October 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

Carkner for Calder!

October 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM | Registered CommenterDanhl

That's a good point pucknut. Im excited because he's been all-world so far this season. Lee and Bass have to get some drive back.

October 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

No one thinks that it might be a little premature to give him a one way contract after only 7 games this season?

October 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM | Registered CommenterJoe

that's a good point, Joe but it is for so little that even if it doesn't work out, it's not a big deal.

October 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I agree that its a great signing, but I have to side with Joe and say this is a little early to hand a guy a contract. This early in the season, good play and bad play is all over the place and in no way reflects what things will be like later in the season.

October 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM | Registered CommenterDroc

Again, I think this has alot to do with Murray sending a message to everyone about being rewarded for being a good soldier. Pay your dues, work hard and you'll be rewarded. I think it's a great message and one this club really needs to embrace after the last few years of chaos. Sens prospects and free agents take note!

October 21, 2009 at 11:43 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I was surprised by how early it was, but this is what you need to look at:
http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=OTT&season=0910

Look at the 10/11 season. Only THREE defenseman signed for $8 mil. Volchenkov will take a big chunk to keep on board, Campoli will be due for a raise if the Sens want to keep him, then there is the Brian Lee question. The Sens NEED some cheap defenseman to fill out the blueline and stay under cap. You can't sign a proven NHL blueliner as cheaply as they signed Carkner. They could risk letting Carks walk and sign another unproven guy for that money OR they take the chance on Carks who has been a good soldier in the minors and is working his tail off in the NHL.

The icing on the cake is the message it sends to Bass, Lee, and the other prospects. WALK THE WALK

October 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut