Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > CBC - Can't they sell the rights?

Two or three times per year, when CBC chooses not to air a Sens game and we're forced to watch the Laughs, I e-mail CBC and ask them why they don't sell the rights to the game to TSN or Sportsnet. Each time I send this e-mail, I get no message in return. In addition to the fact that they aren't showing the Sens, it upsets me that the CBC is subsidized by taxpayer $'s and when they choose not to sell the rights, they are quite literally wasting those $'s.

So, does anyone know if CBC can sell the rights to another network or are they not permitted under their contract? Hopefully people here will be more receptive to this question than CBC seems to be.

October 12, 2009 at 11:24 AM | Registered CommenterHTSensNut

Not going to happen. I'm with you man, but CBC knows that if they sell the rights to TSN, it wold be a big chunk of viewership they would lose because those people would not be watching HNIC.

They're perfectly content showing stupid leaf games and keeping the rights to all the other canadian games to themselves.

I actually emailed them once too. It doesn't surprise me that you've never gotten a response.

October 12, 2009 at 12:09 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

gert is right! it's a lost cause... I've also e-mail CBC on numerous occasions and each time, never got a response.

October 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

Gert - I get it...I just don't think the logic is there. I for one won't watch the Leafs get spanked (although that can be fun) and I would imagine that most Sens fans wouldn't either. Why not sell the rights to Sportsnet...they're locked into regional contracts and would only be able to show the game in the Ottawa region anyways. How much viewership would CBC loose? Why not sell the rights to compensate for any lost revenue? It just makes no sense to allow (and promote) this monopoly.

Shredder -, should you have someone on the show with an affiliation with CBC, you would be doing your fans (well, at least me and Gert) a service if you posed this question to them.

October 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM | Registered CommenterHTSensNut

Most of us wouldn't watch the Leafs anyway, but there are those who could have been undecided, and so better from CBC's perspective to have them watch and become a fan of the team they always cover, as well as to keep "Hockey Night in Canada" a CBC association, without competition (TSN did snag the tune, after all). If they sold it, the only people who would buy it would be those networks that could turn a profit on it, meaning CBC would be helping their competition. The best solution? Live in a place hundreds of kilometers from any NHL team, and get Center Ice or NHL GameCenter Live. Or move to Europe. It'd be nearly impossible to get any kind of meaningful protest or resistance to the decision, even though in Canada, every game should be covered and should get a decent audience (in Phoenix, it's a battle to see which draws less, the game on television or the game in the arena), whereas in the States, so desperate for TV coverage, the League would willingly give rights to a network that had no intention of broadcasting all games, if only to give them that power and dominance.

October 12, 2009 at 1:06 PM | Registered CommenterSENShobo