Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Ottawa golies

I thought your discussion on Ottawa goaltenders was a bit of a cop out. First of all, you repeated the same old line that Ottawa has "never" had a good goaltender. I just don't understand why Hasek doesn't count. He got injured, but we had him didn't we?? Also, Emery was not a bad goaltender, he just had some personal issues. Both subsequently went on to play successfully in the NHL (well, Emery we'll see, but so far so good). To say that public hostility didn't have something to do with the departure of these goalies simply isn't true.

October 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum

Can we say that the public hostility was deserved and justified?

October 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

I don't think so... Hasek I never really knew the whole story. But everyone knew he was crazy before he came.

Emery was a jerk, but again, I don't think that "hostility" from the public was ever something he particularly deserved.

October 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum

I wouldn't say so far so good for Emery.... he's like a sieve over there in Philly.

And Hasek went "cheap" on the tickets to the Olympics and felt the pain of a transatlantic crossing. Whether he paid for the coach seats or his country did remains to be seen... but I don't think it matters. Hasek was damaged goods when he got here (see. "nagging injuries" for my only gripe with the Sens current goalie - prove me wrong Snoopy!)

October 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Hasek was over the hill by the time he got here. When you get old, you get injured, and that's what happened. I thought Emery was ok, he benefited from a great team playing a great system in front of him. I'm putting my money on Leclaire.

October 11, 2009 at 9:58 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

Well, Hasek played okay during his time here if I recall correctly... of course we also had a fantastic team at that time, but still, he played pretty well. Too early to tell about Emery, of course he is also playing on a good team again. But there's no doubt that he's at least a competent goaltender. A good team could win with him in net.

October 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum

Emery never stepped up and became the goaltender we needed. Sure he had skill and potential, but that was wasted both litterally and figuatively. Ray was immature, unprofessional and damaged, his habits ate away on the franchises patience and team chemistry.

Yes Hasek is the first netminder to step into Ottawa and remove all question from concerned fans and franchise in regards to the position. But Hasek was not a plan beyond the one year he signed up for and ultimatly left a very sour taste, specifically with his teammates. Alfie and co begged him to step when Dom said he was 90% and Ottawa needed him when faced with elimination. Be it ego for not being named the starter for the playoffs or concern for his health/career, Dom refused.

To our point. It Is one thing to perform at a high level for a stretch of games or half a season. However it's entirely another to be the franchise backstop. To be the goaltender that is the unquestionable #1 for the short and long term. Lalime always let in the softies, Dom was great for 5 months but a destine for injury, Ray was a gifted athlete with a drug problem
, Tugger was all heart but short on skill, Rhoads came from the Leafs ;), Hurme, Prusek, and others were stop gap poo. But for Hasek, can you name any goaltender in our franchises history to do or accomplish anything as a true #1 anywhere? Where are any of them now?

Pascal may flop too, but he is easily the most skilled addition in goal that could solidify the Sens for yeas to come on this team EVER!

October 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM | Registered CommenterStooLi

injuries are part and parcel of the profession, however it is imperative that one looks after own health and try to recover as fast as possible,
good luck,
regards ,bryan
Hernias

October 27, 2009 at 2:29 AM | Registered Commenterjustin kohler

I think Stooli has ink poisoning(lol). You stay with the chick ya brought to the dance. As a hockey player, Emery was gold. No way I will ever forget the run to the cup. Didn't he set a rookie record for wins to start a career? Portents of great things to come. He was big, he was athletic and he had personality, just what Ottawa needed.
Now as a rich young man with the world at his feet - he was found lacking severly enough to be run out of town and out of the league, both deservedly so.
Rumors and inuendo aside, he simply couldn't handle it. Now he gets a second chance after a year in Siberia (almost literally) and is rocking.
We as fans of the Sens continue to blame all our failures on goaltending. For several years, we couldn't score in the playoffs. We gave the Leafs(suck) shutout after shutout.
Anyway, its a good start to the season and the team chemistry looks even better.
Should we knight Clouston yet?

October 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM | Registered CommenterHwydog