Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Crunching the Numbers

Sharp has a great post on his blog crunching the numbers for the Ottawa roster.

"You're allowed to keep 23," assistant general manager Tim Murray said, when asked if there was a particular number Ottawa was targeting for its opening day roster. "Ideally, we would not want to keep 23. We would like to keep 21, maybe 22, but definitely not 23."

And so there's our magic number, or numbers, if you will.

---------------------------------

For starters, barring injury, we can be fairly certain of the two goalies: Pascal Leclaire and Brian Elliott.

That's two.

Then on defense, there's Chris Phillips, Anton Volchenkov, Filip Kuba, Chris Campoli, Alexandre Picard. Those guys aren't going anywhere, so there's five more.

We're up to seven.

Offensively, Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza, Alex Kovalev, Mike Fisher, Jonathan Cheechoo, Milan Michalek, Ryan Shannon, Nick Foligno, Chris Kelly, Chris Neil, Shean Donovan, Jarkko Ruutu, Jesse Winchester and Christoph Schubert are all either established NHLers or on one-way NHL contracts. So, that's 14 more.

Up to 21.

But wait: Obviously, Ottawa isn't going to start the season with just five defensemen. It will probably be more like seven, even if one of them is Schubert (who, it should be noted, is listed among the defensemen for Tuesday night's exhibition in Halifax).

So, what if we pencil in Brian Lee and Erik Karlsson back on defense?

Suddenly, that's 23, though.

He goes on to analyze the bubble guys and some of Murray's comments. Sounds like Murray is looking to make a trade to open a roster spot for Bass, Regin, or Smith. From Bingo's perspective things are looking really good.

September 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM | Registered Commenterpucknut

I'd really like to see Bass make the team. I really like his toughness, and he looks like a real mean prick. Whatever happens this year, i DO NOT want to be pushed around by the fricking leafs!

September 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

I agree Gert... the Sens need some toughness especially in the back end. With all the goons on the leafs squad, who is gonna drop them for the Sens? Neil, Ruutu (sometimes), Fisher????

That has to be Murray's next move!

September 15, 2009 at 11:18 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

Speaking of toughness... if only Ruutu was wearing a Sens jersey in this fight.

Ruutu vs Tucker

September 15, 2009 at 11:24 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

Im trying to think of who you could pair with Neil and Bass for an ugly 4th line. Donovan isn't really that kind of player. Ruutu? What do you guys think the rough lines will look like?

Michalek-Spezza-Alfie (To me, alfie should always be on the first line.)
Cheechoo-Fish-Kovalev
Foligno-Winchester-Shannon
Neil-Bass-Ruutu

That's what im thinking. Alfie might develop some magic with Kovalev. They could both probably play their off-wing. I also think that Cheechoo should start on the 2nd line and work his way up if he's capable. Love Fisher, but i think we all know he's not a great 2nd line center. Anyway, i think no matter what, we will always have 2 real solid lines.

I think Winchester can take over for Kelly, who i would like to see moved. He's making $2m for killing penalties. Winchester can do that for like 500k.

September 16, 2009 at 12:15 AM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

How do we get rid of Schubert... the guy is touted as a D-Man who can play wing but he's not an NHL Caliber player at the former so why the hell do they let him play the latter... or either for that matter.

Does he have trade value... maybe we can trade him to the Leafs, they're stupid enough to do that... right?

September 16, 2009 at 2:20 AM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

i'm not worried about beating the leafs. they are a non-playoff non-factor. murray should be building the team thinking about beating the pens and bruins.

September 16, 2009 at 7:26 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Looking at the highlight reel of last nights game I have to change my mind about Schubert.... I don't think we should try to trade him at all.

Just bring him out behind Scotiabank Place and put him out of our misery.

September 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Ruutu, Kelly, Donovan and schubert. at least two of these guys have to go to make space on the bench and on the cap. Kelly and Schoobs are my picks to ship, if anyone will take them. ideally, in a trade to bring in a tough, stay at home d-man, like a philips type. we could then ice three shut down d and three puck movers. in my perfect world.....

September 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Yablonski was given a 2-way contract this summer and is being watching in camp. Expect him to be called up when needed.

"I'm just an energy player. I just hit. I fight. I'm physical. I mean, that's something I think they're looking to get a little more of up here. And that's what I do. I maybe cause a little havoc out there, and make things happen. So, that's all my game."

September 16, 2009 at 10:34 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut