Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Sharkbait

What annoys me about the whole thing isn't that we didn't get a fair return for Heatley, we all knew that was likely from the moment Bryan Murray's hands were tied when the trade request became public. It's not that we had to take back some other team's dodgy contract, again we knew this was going to be likely - after all Heatley makes a lot of money.

The thing that annoys me most is that Heatley, in the end, got exactly what he wanted all along - and that pisses me off.

I'm guessing that after speaking to Heatley yesterday and maybe seeing the first day of camp and how things were unfolding, Murray decided that he had to take a deal he would possibly have rejected earlier otherwise the dressing room and the team could be destroyed before the season had even started.

So whilst Michalek, Cheechoo and a 2nd isn't a great return for Heatley when you realise that we've also got the turd out of the punchbowl it becomes much more palatable.

September 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

I would have rather had have stoll and frolov but atleast it's done and we only have to see him about once a year,and finally no more distractions

September 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

And is this enough to get a new show soon?

September 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

The Sens totally got screwed!!!! Stoll and Frolov yes, but Michalek, Cheechoo????? This sucks!!

September 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

And is this enough to get a new show soon?

We're prepping-up for season 5 now... not sure when our first show will be but it will be before the start of the season for sure.

September 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

Stoll has pretty bad case or arthitis .... Knees and elbows ... Word is he failed a physical and won't start the season. That's what stopped the deal

September 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM | Registered CommenterStooLi

I wanted Clowe!
Can we trade Schubert for him.

September 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

I heard that San Jose gave up so much cause they really like Heatley's leadership skills. I hope they give him the C!

September 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM | Registered CommenterDave

I heard that San Jose gave up so much cause they really like Heatley's leadership skills. I hope they give him the C!

Actually what i think of Dany heatley starts with a C. I actually think they'll give Heatley an A just to make a point.

Ottawa should make sure somebody wears #15 next year. Personally, I'd give it to Erik Karlsson as a sign to show that he's a standard bearer for the new Ottawa Senators.

September 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Do you think we'll make a run at Sykora now or would that be overkill? What's our cap space at now?

September 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM | Registered CommenterLuciferSam

Good idea UK...

September 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

UKSEN, you are walking away with the "best line' award hands down today!!

September 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Im with UK sen. I'm glad this nonsense is done with, but im so pissed that that little prick got exactly what he wanted. It just makes me so mad. I wanna see someone take a run at this guy and put him out for the season. Im not kidding.

September 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

I'm not sure we need Sykora. Our wingers at the moment are Kovalev and the Golden God, Michalek and Cheechoo, Foligno and Shannon, Ruutu and Neil - i don't see where Sykora fits in unless we trade Kelly and move Shannon to centre.

Another good thing about the trade is, that with Cheechoo, we have another player with a name that is fun to say - I don't think that should be underestimated.

September 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

there is no room or need for sykora. plus, we didn't rid any cap space and we're still right up against it. if anything, murray needs to move some bodies now.

September 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Hopefully Tucker gives Heatley a warm welcome to the Western conference.

September 12, 2009 at 5:57 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

Gleaned from end of CBC article ...

"The Senators play in San Jose on Dec. 1 but the Sharks won't visit Ottawa until next season unless the two teams meet in the Stanley Cup final in June."

... can you imagine that one??? Hopefully there's lots of Sens jerseys in the audience on Dec 1st ...

... just to make him feel all cuddly inside ...

September 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

- "The Senators play in San Jose on Dec. 1 but the Sharks won't visit Ottawa until next season unless the two teams meet in the Stanley Cup final in June."

What would be good is if SJ gets bounced in the 1st round in 4 straight games with Heatley getting no points and the Sens going deep into the playoffs.

On Dec 1st, I just want to see A-Train, Philips, Neil, Ruutu, Bass to hit Heatley all night long. The game is on SNET-E. I don't usually stay up for the late games, but I think I'll make an exception for this one.

If he were to get injured sometime after Dec 1st and not able to play in the Olympics, well I don't think anyone in Ottawa will feel sorry for him. Maybe Cheechoo somehow tears it up the 3 months it up and replaces him with Spezza as his center.

September 12, 2009 at 6:55 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I love that Dany was standing in front of that big photo with "Sens Win" on the wall behind him.

I truly believe that irony is the key word.

September 12, 2009 at 8:01 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Murray calls him DanLY... ha ha ha.

September 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Murray also mentioned that a couple of minutes after the deal was made people were calling him to confirm it!

That's a pretty horrible leak in someone's office.

September 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Do the Sharks know the Heimlich Maneuver? Just wondering since Dany and Joe are on the same line.

September 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM | Registered CommenterBrennan Dixon

Cheechoo since the 56 goal year has had double hernia groin surgery and hasn't been the same. Course if any of
us had that I'm sure we'd be slowed down too. Michalek has been inconsistent to be kind and he's never lived up to
his high draft position. They make right around the 7.5 Heatley was making so cap space still a concern for Sens.

Cheechoo was a 3rd line winger and Michalek a 2nd line winger and Sharks get a front line LW to play with Thornton
and if he stays healthy the Sharks by far got the best of this deal.
And choking will be a problem Brennan.

September 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

So we got rid of a player on the way down and got back two... I'm still alright with that.

na na na na
na na na na
hey hey
goodbye

good riddance to bad rubbish.

September 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

So who's the odd-man out now? Kelly, Donovan, Schubert, Winchester? Kelly had value in the past, do you think it's best we keep him for a while to strengthen his stock? Arguably, all these guys were playing well under Clouston.

September 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM | Registered CommenterLuciferSam