Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Paul Kelly

Professional hockey is a screwed up world. The one guy that ever made any sense, Paul Kelly, head of the NHLPA, has been fired. WTF? Bettman has been in for decades, and he seems to have the business sense of Homer Simpson. Goodenow lasted for years, and was completely ineffective. Glen Sather inexplicably keeps his job. ¡¡Wade Redden gets paid 6.5 million/season!!! And yet, a guy who actually makes sense, and hasn't even been in his job for two years gets fired??? I gotta say I had some hope for him to be an agent of change in the NHL.

August 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum

I hope that Hargrove doesn't succeed Kelly, otherwise we will have a strike the next time the CBA is up

August 31, 2009 at 5:16 PM | Registered CommenterNimmsens

Hopefully after this stupid Phoenix debacle costs the owners many millions they'll finally fire Bettman.
Don't know enough about Kelly to know one way or the other but both sides need to realize that they are the fourth sport
in North America and they could drop if they screw up again. (Lockout or Strike)

August 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

This seems to be a common response to the firing but I honestly don't know how anyone outside of the union could know what kind of a job Kelly was doing. For all we know he could have been embezzling money from the players.

And as for Bettman, somehow I don't think he goes and spends millions of the owners money without their endorsement. I know we would all like to see him go but apparently the owners like the job he is doing. I would start blaming them as much as Bettman.

September 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM | Registered CommenterSystine

Of course we don't know what kind of job Kelly was doing behind the scenes, although I doubt he was embezzling money, or they probably would have come right out and said so. For the moment they are suspiciously tight lipped though.

I don't blame Bettman for remaining employed, that is obviously the owners' fault, just as I don't blame Redden for accepting 6.5 million. But, it's just weird that the only sane guy around is the first to get fired.

September 1, 2009 at 8:08 AM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum

I doubt he was embezzling money too, but I was just saying we don't know jack about it.

September 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM | Registered CommenterSystine

As if to underline my point here comes an interesting article:

http://www.nesn.com/2009/08/kelly-firing-proves-nhlpa-will-never-learn.html

Naturally none of this is proven, but it certainly makes sense. "According to sources, part of this group’s desire to get rid of Kelly also stemmed from Kelly ordering an internal audit (by a top former FBI forensic accountant) of the players' association's expenses during the previous three years before he took over. That audit was still ongoing prior to Kelly’s dismissal. Sources claim that through the audit, Kelly discovered that then-interim leaders Penny and Lindros were spending millions of dollars of the union’s money. Lindros ended up resigning, but word is, that move fueled this attack on Kelly, and Lindros was very much involved. Kelly also beat out Pink for the executive director job, and the belief is that Pink is still sour over that. "

September 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum