Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Oh Kovalev...

The guy hasn't dressed for a game yet and he's already talking about leaving...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289008
http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2009/08/28/10647496-sun.html
-----------
"I was disappointed. I thought for sure I'd be staying here," Kovalev told reporters at his charity golf tournament in Montreal. "In the end, I took it from a business point of view. You had a chance to stay here, and you didn't, so you just go and do the job somewhere else.

"I've been back to Montreal four or five times in the last three weeks," he added.

"Everytime you see a fan on the street, (they say) they're really disappointed. That's why I say, maybe after two years I'll be back again. But it's not for me to talk about Montreal -- I'm part of another organization."

Kovalev, who spent the last four seasons the Habs, said he decided to accept the deal with the Senators because they were the only other team to offer a two-year deal.

"We couldn't get any better offer from anybody else," said Kovalev. "Ottawa was kind of the last choice for us. If we didn't sign, we were going to end up someplace else for one year."
------------
What an entertaining season this will be

August 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

Don't read too far into it. Chara did the same thing when he went to Boston and hasn't looked back since, http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/FreeAgents/2006/07/05/1669520-sun.html
Kovie will light it up with the Sens this season.

August 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM | Registered CommenterLuciferSam

will it never end?

August 29, 2009 at 9:09 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Chara signed a monster contract, in his prime, and was given the captaincy. Kovalev is an aging rent-a-player who took the only 2 year deal he could get, commuting distance from the city he wants to play in. The good news is that he'll be a nice chip to offer around at the deadline this year and next year.

August 29, 2009 at 10:23 AM | Registered Commenterpucknut

I'm not gonna make a big fuss out of it... so he really liked it in Montreal and wish he could have stayed there. Maybe after playing a couple of years with the Sens, he'll feel the same way about Ottawa - although I doubt it.

Maybe he should have worded things differently or at least make it sound like he was excited to be a Senator even though it wasn't his first choice. Oh well... I don't really care. If he can score and help our team win, that's all I care about.

August 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

lol....it's pretty tough being a senator fan now a days.....

August 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator