Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Balsillie’s NHL

I know that this subject has been beaten to death but I would just like to put one more point of view in. First of all I am all for another Canadian team, even another one in the GTA (I would prefer the East side though). However, the way Jim is going about this I think could potentially kill the franchise in Ottawa, just bare with me on this doom and gloom…

So let’s say Jim gets the team and moves it to Hamilton. Now Ottawa has another team to deal with for TV coverage, as if it wasn’t hard enough to get on CBC. Jim probably aware of this and knows there is no way he will get coverage over Toronto. So it would be in his best interest to leave the team in the Western conference where many of his away game would be played after the Toronto games ended, thus allowing SportsNet and TSN to do back to back games for Toronto. Since Jim as already shown that he doesn’t like to play by the rules he muscles the schedule makers so he gets some afternoon games, and I don’t just mean on the weekends (MLB does it, why not hockey, we can cut work or school and go check out a game Tuesday afternoon). That way he can really smooch his clients during work hours. The remaining home games he gets scheduled later like 9:00 PM start times, terrible for kids but great for joining the game in progress after the Leafs and for him to get to the game after work. Now for the Ottawa bit, since Jim has already set a precedence on moving teams, Melnyk decides to join in. He already has a team in Mississauga and being a Toronto native he retrofits the Hersey Centre to house a NHL team. Work the schedule so the OHL team doesn’t play the same nights as the NHL team and we use the arena pretty much every night. Since Jim’s Hamilton team doesn’t play at standard times then Melnyk reaps overflow from the Leafs in Mississauga.

How is that...

August 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Improbable but not Impossible... although the league allowing there to be afternoon games (without pressure from an American TV Network) is kind of a big leap.

thanks for the reading material btw.

August 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Melnyk was on Prime Time Sports tonight talking about the Phoenix situation. He said that the very same lawyers representing Balsillie approach him to move the Senators to Hamilton when they were having financial troubles. He would not comment on that situation any further. But he also said something else, he would love for the Senators to play some preseason games in Mississauga at the Hersey Centre. If Balsillie gets his team in Hamilton it would open that door for Melnyk too.... and then........... crazy am I?

September 17, 2009 at 7:06 PM | Registered CommenterSystine