Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Campoli

Do we still have to sign Campoli? Cause I'm not sure that 1.2 mil is going to do it...

I'm confused about our D - is it going to be: Campoli, Kuba, Phillips, Smith, Volchenkov, Lee, Karlsson?, Cowan?

Are we trying to trade Smith's 2.6mil? Or Kuba's 3.7mil?

So much talk about Heatley, what's going on on the back end?

July 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM | Registered Commenterce034

Campoli is still under contract until next year when he becomes an RFA.

Karlsson and Cowen are not playing in the NHL this year.

July 7, 2009 at 11:59 AM | Registered Commentermoxie

Kuba has a NTC for the 1st year of his deal so it's unlikely he's going anywhere this year (much to Shredder's disgust of course). Cowen has still not completely rehabilitated his knee so has no chance of making the NHL team this year, Karlsson will have the chance to make the team but needs a good camp and for us to lose some of the other Dmen already on the roster to be able to do that. The organisation also seem very high on Patrick Wiercoch so I would expect to see him in Bingo this year.

Bell wasn't given a qualifying offer, Schubert is definitely up for grabs but no-one appears to want to grab him. I think the Sens would like to get Smith's 2.6 off the books by way of retirement, trade or salary dump. Lee and Picard remain on the bubble but I think that Murray would look to keep both of those given the choice. The d this year could be Phillips/Volchenkov Kuba/Campoli Picard/Lee unless we get a dman back from a Heatley trade, should it happen - if it does then Picard or Lee become instantly expendable.

With the three big prospects already in the system (Karlsson, Wiercoch and Cowen) things look fairly positive on the blueline moving forward which is good because, as already stated, Campoli is an RFA and would be looking to at least treble his salary, he might not get that here - especially when you consider that Phillips and Volchenkov have only 2 years and 1 year left on their respective deals and I'm sure we would all agree that resigning at least Volchenkov is a must. I would imagine that Kuba gets traded once his NTC expires to free up the money.

This is just another reason why Heatley's trade request is ultimately a good thing for the organisation and highlights the issue of being a forward loaded team in terms of cap percentage.

July 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Thanks UKsen, great perspective!

July 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM | Registered Commenterce034

UKsen that really was a good wrap up thanks a lot.

That Kuba contract was too much in my opinion and those 3 prospects are really important for Ottawa's system that is
something Murray has done right even though I still think he makes too many mistakes.

July 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln