Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Sens sign Kovalev

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283891

Do I smell....desperation?

July 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

I dont know what to think about this one, i am still in shock

July 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM | Registered CommenterHomer Simpson

Stooli should peek over this one :P

July 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Kovalev has a history of being unpredictable. It all depends on which Kovalev shows up. If he his happy, he could be a top 20 player. But if he starts pouting he'll just add to the drama and toxicity of the locker room. Personally, I don't think it's a risk worth taking. There are too many young guys on this team who need quality leadership. With a rookie coach that leadership needs to come from other players and Kovalev is not who I want to have setting the example for the kids.

From Kovelev's perspective...seems like Ottawa was best way to keep a short commute to home. Wonder if they'll let him fly his helicopter to the games 8^)

July 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

As some of you know, I work (and have become good friends) with Matt Dandeneault's. He told me a number of things about Kovalev that is making me wonder if this is not that bad of a deal. The biggest knock on this guy is that he's hot & cold. It seems to most of us, and it seems to be the reputation Kovalev has developed, that it's intentional. But I'm told that it's not the case... it's not deliberate, it just seems that way. When Kovalev is "ON", he unstoppable. The question is, will he be "ON" long enough to actually help this club.

Imagine Kovalev (when he's "ON") beside Spezza and Alfie!! The other problem in Mtl was that he never had the line-mates to play with.

I still don't know how I feel about this acquisition. I have to admit, I was in shock when I heard about it but part of me wants to be excited about this. Damn-it, it's time for us to get excited about our team 'cause all this bitching is starting to get to me!!

I think I'm not gonna knock the guy until he gives me reason to (in a Sens uniform).

Matt's dad was also telling me that apparently during practice, Kovalev does things with the puck that leaves the other players standing with their jaws down to the ice. I know it's in practice but I've heard many players (primarily on OTR) say that there's no one better than Kovelev one-on-one and that he's probably one of the best stick-handlers in the game.

I say we give him a chance.

July 6, 2009 at 4:51 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

With this signing does this mean that Healtey is benched for the season or is heatley going to swallow his pride and work with the coach?

July 6, 2009 at 5:28 PM | Registered CommenterHomer Simpson

I wish Murray had waited till the Chicago issue was resolved. That $5 mil would have been nice for going after their UFAs

July 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

I'm stoked by this!! With all of the H drama I'm glad to see something nice!!

July 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM | Registered Commenterce034

I've really got to agree with Shredder we should give him a chance we really have no choice he's on our favorite team now.

What did he sign for in Dollars I didn't see that just saw that the contract is for 2 years.

July 6, 2009 at 7:52 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

2 years for 10million so 5 mill a season

July 6, 2009 at 8:06 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

cant wait to see this guy in action against the habs

July 6, 2009 at 8:46 PM | Registered CommenterHomer Simpson

I can't say i like the direction this team is headed in. I hope Karlsson is really freakin' good.

The whole thing looks like it's in complete peril to me. But im a pessimist.....

July 6, 2009 at 11:21 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

STOKED!!!!

I think Stooli is too. HE NEEDS MORE ENEMY'S ON THIS TEAM.

Plus this looks like Murray showing some bawls by not going in the "big, bad, Senators" direction that we all expected him to take.

July 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

what are you guys talking about. this season wont be perfect but it going to be a big improvement.We got leclaire,karlson,kovalev(even tough he dosint show up some nights,but he outscored are entire team last year except for heatley and spezza)and if heatly returns we will get ATLEAST 30 goals and if he gets traded we will get some decent goal scorer(s).so i for one am extremely excited for next season

July 6, 2009 at 11:32 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

Me too.

July 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

I'm a Rangers fan so I've seen a lot of Kovalev. I will say this:
1) He is a nice, funny guy. Gives great interviews and is a real character.
2) The guy loves to play. He'll frustrate you on the ice at times, but people mistakenly think its because he's lazy or doesn't want to play. He loves the sport.
3) The double edged sword is that he plays his own game. Sometimes to the teams benefit, other times you'll end up cursing and wonder what the heck he's doing.

This signing is growing on me. I think the Sens have lacked some personality on the team. It is a 2 year deal and I guarantee that you will love Kovalev this season. By the end of the second year you'll be cursing him more, but it'll be the last year of his contract.

Anyone know if there is a no trade clause? Kovalev would be a nice chip to cash in at the deadline in 2 years.

July 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM | Registered Commenterpucknut

i think it's a good thing...i mean when Heaters gone, we will need this guy...and besides he's cheaper than heatley.....we are going to be a much better team next year.....this may make a big difference....teams had grown used to defending against the pizza line.....it was becoming in effective......and if heater does stick around.......this guy could be great on a second line..............he's gritty......

July 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM | Registered Commenterzebek

This is the worst signing Murray could have made. Kovalev is the epitome of the Ottawa Senator stereotype. This is the most desperate, crazed move Murray has made over the course of his career.

July 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM | Registered Commentermoxie

that is freakin' funny, moxie!!!

July 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I was thinking about superimposing Murray's face onto Wile E Coyote, but decided against it. Looking forward to the show this evening, boys.

Cheers

July 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM | Registered Commentermoxie

"But what about your fact checking job?"

"Oh, here's a fact... Iiiiiiii'm The Wiz!"

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/IImoxieII/thewiz.jpg

July 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM | Registered Commentermoxie

I can't say i like the direction this team is headed in. I hope Karlsson is really freakin' good.

The whole thing looks like it's in complete peril to me. But im a pessimist.....

don't worry gert, we hadn't noticed

July 7, 2009 at 1:40 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle