Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > HEATLEY TRADED....maybe

If Penner can get back to the type of player he was in Anaheim, this could be a decent deal. I don't know if Murray knowing him when he was with the Ducks is going to help Penner get back into form [it certainly didn't help Gerber], but I'm choosing to stay positive.
RIght now, Penner and Cogliano are around 20 goal scorers. Cogliano could go up in that regard as his career goes on. Penner was once around 30 goals when he was with Anaheim. Personally, I think the retarded paycheck that Penner got put way too much pressure on him, and after going from Anaheim to Edmonton [a city that actually cares about hockey], well all that together probably caused him to crack. It might still continue in Ottawa since that's a hockey city too, but maybe a change of scenery can help the guy out. He's still overpaid for what he does/can do, but it could be worse.

Personally, I would have liked to see another forward instead of Smid [Gagner probably wouldn't have happened, but Nilsson or Brule might have been nice], but Oilers fans seem to like him so maybe it was a good idea.

However, if this NYR package is real [Dubinsky, Callahan, Del Zotto + something else] is true, I'd rather go with that. Dubinsky and Callahan could be decent secondary scoring, I liked Del Zotto during his draft year, and if there's a 4th component, well that's just a bonus. Plus it allows cap space in order to get a free agent to play on the top line.

Of course I've never managed a team before, so I don't know what would be best for the Sens. I just want the Heatley drama to end...

July 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM | Registered Commenterinnocent-sheep

and every hour that heateley sits around with his thumb/head up his ass, the sens miss out on free agents as they sign with other teams. you have to wonder if he's doing it on purpose.

July 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Russell great point! Havlat to LA or Minnesota, Cammelleri to Habs, Hossa Chicago, etc etc. some happened others I
mentioned are rumors but all the TOP 6 FORWARDS are going fast.

That NYRanger deal that innocent-sheep spelled out looks intriguing in that it doesn't include Penner, and Del Zotto last year
was supposedly targeted by the Senators before they took Karlsson.
NYRanger offer would leave some space to get that ever elusive TOP 6 FORWARD Murray has stated on a million occasions
that he wants.

The Leafs take Komisarek from the Freaking Habs (hate both those teams). And Kubina put in NHL purgatory in the ATL

July 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Not sure we would have been too active anyways. Most we save from the Heatley deal is 1-2 million likely.

TSN just reported that Heatley is saying he has not agreed to the deal because he feels the Sens have put a gun to his head and forced him to make a choice he does not like. He feels it is unfair.

Just think about that for a second.

I hate this guy more and more each day. I feel ashamed I ever cheered for him. I am at the point that I barely care about getting anything back. Bury him in Bingo for the rest of his contract.

I am not supposed to be this bitter and angry 3 months before the season.

July 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM | Registered CommenterGhost of Ron Tugnutt

i do believe he will still be with the team next year but by putiing in bingo he will have to pass to through waivers wich he wont and we will get nothing for him,we do not want that.do we

July 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

It is an interesting question. Which is worse, Dustin Penner or nothing?

July 1, 2009 at 7:32 PM | Registered CommenterGhost of Ron Tugnutt

Cogliano and a bad contract that's the going rate for Heatley, or nothing it is a conundrum.

Sather somehow got rid of a bad contract in Gomez he's not as insane as last year YET.

July 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Im very much ready for this crap to be over. Ive gone through all the stages of sens negative feelings. Im finally at acceptance. This team is going to be awful for a long time and there's not much any of us can do about it.

July 1, 2009 at 7:56 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

from tsn "Sources say members of the Oilers management team have arranged a face-to-face meeting with Heatley in hopes of convincing the star forward to waive his no-move clause" the drama is ongoing

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283472

July 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

First off i want to state that I DO NOT like this deal, however i do not believe that it is absolute garbage. Now Heatley may be a two time 50 goal scorer but that was two years ago, the past two years he has gotten 40 and 39. Now consider that we would be replacing him with what essentially two 20 goal scorers, one of whom is young and entering his third season and would be a legitimate second line center, and the other is a big, stanley cup winner, with 30 goal potential (but should be considered a 20 goal scorer). I mean i would certainly prefer Souray instead of Penner, but no GM is gonna fill one hole by creating another. While we aren't getting full value, because of the salary cap and the economy we just aren't gonna get full value, this way at least Heatley's output is spread out a bit more. And trading Heatley for cap space just isn't going to happen, not only because there aren't many teams with cap space to take Heatley, but we would struggle to stay competitive next season as well.

ALL OF THAT SAID, i also feel that Penner's contract is ridiculous given what he brings to the table, we are just gonna have to take the good with the bad.

July 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM | Registered CommenterRacinette

just two hours remaining

July 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

tsn is reporting that heatley is metting with oiler management right now

July 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

Racinette well put, but just wait till we type during games about this piece of overpaid crap Penner.
I predict no one will be happy with his listless uninspired play once the season starts and he'll end up being a healthy
scratch at times because Clouston doesn't seem to put up with indifferent play.
I hope I'm wrong.

Betcha he approves the deal QC

July 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

well i guess it better than nothing right

July 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

Let's hope, if it happens, that Murray knows how to bring out the Penner that played in Anaheim. Maybe Edmonton was just a bad fit for him. gotta hope, right?

July 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

well we will know where he ends in the next half an hour or so

July 1, 2009 at 11:30 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

That's all we'll have is hope Cogliano better be good. Heatley expected to make a decision any minute now he's talking to his
family.

July 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

QC you watching TSN? I have to keep up on twitter there's a bunch of Hockey writers there including Darren Draeger.

July 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

well either way im happy right now because my allouetes are winning :)

July 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

yeah im on tsn.ca,twitter and watching the cfl game on tsn

July 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

Well QC supposedly the decision is real soon according to Eklund Any minute now

Now Dreger says Heatley not making a decision tonite and Sens on hook for the 4 million
Is Heatley now more hated than Yashin?

July 1, 2009 at 11:42 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

If heatley stiffs ottawa for the 4 million, expect murray to pull the plug on the deal.

July 1, 2009 at 11:47 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

well acording to darren dregger it looks like heatley wont make is decision today so we will probably pay him the 4m

July 1, 2009 at 11:49 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

its not official tough acording to bob mckenzie

July 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

If I was melnyk, I wouldn't pay him and make him sue me for it. stick it right back to him. he broke the contract so why shouldn't melnyk break it too?

July 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell