Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Burke rips Heatley

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282128

Oh my gawd. Now I have to agree with Brian Burke. But I still can't stand Burke.

June 17, 2009 at 10:06 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Next you know, you'll be agreeing with Shredder!

June 18, 2009 at 1:51 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Clearly none of us here have a great love for Brian Burke and have nothing but disdain for the organisation he is attched too, but the vast majority of us are in agreement with him over this one I imagine.

I don't neccesarily have that much of an issue with Heatley requesting a trade, players and organisations fall out of love with each other all the time and the only truly loyal people in the field of sports are the fans. Gloss over the fact that he had a NMC and a contract he was happy to sign very recently, the fact is that the power in mosy major sports these days is with the player.

My issues with Heatley are the way that he and his agents have chosen to go about this - it's classless (please note that it's also a lot of other things, but this is a family website). To go public with the trade was crass and disrespectful and put Bryan Murray in a weak and position and he'll have to have mucho cajones to get a really good deal for the senators out of this.

That being said, I think this could be a great thing to happen to the organisation - nearly everybody thought we were too top heavy with forwards in this salary cap world, a good trade for Heatley could provide us with 3 or 4 pieces for one player and that could be a great thing. The pieces don't have to come directly from the trade, it could include a UFA that we, otherwise, would not have been able to afford.

I had always advocated trading away Heatley rather than Spezza and it looks like Bryan finally listened - those weeks in a tree outside his house were clearly worth the exclusion order and jail time. Finally a word in defence of The Dangler - he gets ripped apart fairly regularly here, there and everywhere and all he says is that he'll continue to work harder at his game, smiles that goofy grin that divides the nation's capital and gets on with it. In short he's being a professional.

Heatley gets a minute amount of criticism (in comparison to that laid at the door of The Dangler) and he starts blubbing and demands a trade - he doesn't like his ice time, he doesn't like being on the 2nd PP unit, he doesn't like that the press don't universally and unconditionally adore him. That's not being a professional, that's not even being a kid, that's being a front bottom.

June 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Nice one UKSen... you know, that could have been a blog. Weren't you supposed to write something last week?

June 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM | Registered CommenterShredder

Chris Pronger

June 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM | Registered CommenterGermanrebel

Nice sentiment on Burke's part (though he's still an ass), but I can't help but think that he may have a different attitude if not for 2 things:

a) The Laffs have nothing that we'd want.
b) There's no way we'd trade him in the conference and to our biggest rivals

June 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM | Registered CommenterSpaceman

my first set of inner musings are ready to go

June 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

My inner musing is:

Dany Heatley is a gutless spineless piece of garbage who quit on his teammates and his organization because of what
exactly?
Has the jackass even told anyone what it is he's bent out of shape about, Dean Brown who knows the puke sent him an
email wondering what was going on and the bum sends Dean back an email "talk to my agents".
He knows the creep and that's the answer he gets back from this supposed "professional" next post I won't sugarcoat what
I think about this turd.

June 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Who was the guy who dealt Pronger to Anaheim after he inappropriately asked for a trade? Flippin' hypocrite. But hey, being a leafer does that to ya.

June 22, 2009 at 3:57 PM | Registered CommenterBrennan Dixon