Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Why Does Heatley Want Out???????

Does anybody know?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356

June 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Maybe ... in order to have a chance at winning a cup?

June 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM | Registered Commenterneonpablo

Yeah i saw this coming. I remember when he had a public little feud with Clouston after he was hired. I knew he wasn't into staying with this team. Fantastic, our biggest goal scorer asks for a trade. Who's going to score on this team?

June 9, 2009 at 1:42 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

He's probably sick of the media and the circus that constantly surrounds the team.

Hopefully Murray gets a good return for him, maybe he'll be moved at the draft?

June 9, 2009 at 1:58 PM | Registered CommenterLego

There are some teams that could take on his salary and be able to trade for him
Minnesota: they have the cap and assets such as d-men to trade
Atlanta: third pick and and few prospects would be the minimal. They could put him back with Kovalchuk again.
Vancouver: Mike Gillis finds a way to do everything.
Columbus
San Jose: Thornton for Heatley? Would you do it?
Edmonton: Finally someone to play trigger with Hemsky

June 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM | Registered CommenterBrennan Dixon

The sun, as 'reliable' as it might be, seems to be hinting at clouston being the cause.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/06/09/9739076.html

June 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM | Registered CommenterHighstead

I've been saying for a while that if one of Heatley or Spezza had to go I think we would get more for Heatley and that it's easier to replace a goal scoring winger than a legitimate number one centre.

The cap situation with this team is that we had to lose one of the big four forward contracts and this way we should have no shortage of suitors and hopefully the return will be excellent and provide us with a way to add top line talent to the blue line and scoring depth in the forwards.

June 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

From http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/06/09/9739076.html :

"It's believed Heatley has a rocky relationship with coach Cory Clouston and would like to be moved so that he can get more of an opportunity to play his style of game"

His style of game??? Isn't Clouston style Heatleys style... or did he want to play Hartsbergs style?

June 9, 2009 at 3:38 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

The organization is in shambles and not getting better anytime soon. Can't blame him for wanting out.

BUT - Clouston is not a players coach. He holds guys responsible and makes them work hard in practice. That is a tough adjustment for the guys who liked the old Ottawa country club. Clouston turned things around in Bingo, but when Hunt came in the team checked out. Played some of the worst hockey ever I've seen during the most important games...but they all said how much they loved Hunt.

Ottawa needs a coach that the players don't like and anyone who can't handle that can let the door hit them on the way out. Bye Heater, hope you bring us some nice prospects in return. This is really good news IF Murray can land several solid players/prospects/picks and solve the cap situation.

June 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

i think everyone is in agreement that Clouston was the prime force behind turniong the club around last year. He did this with hard work, an offensive system and accountability - if Heatley doesn't want to be part of that then I would rather see him gone.

June 9, 2009 at 4:30 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Russell, Shredder, Stooli, this, among other nhl stories deserves a podcast! I've really missed the podcast!

June 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM | Registered CommenterBrennan Dixon

Really good news... now we don't have to worry about him not agreeing to waive his no trade clause. Presuming we get what we need back, this could be a blessing. And since Heatley seems to be leaving because he's lazy, and the coach actually is being a pain, it's doubly good news.

June 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum

i don't think he's going back to atlanta buddy

June 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM | Registered CommentersensfanQC

This may be a way out theory, but I reckon he's seen Hossa make (smart) a Cup decision and create a 7.5 mil hole at the Pens. They've been looking for a gun Winger for Croskin. Not sure what they'd offer though. I just don't see Heater wanting to go to a no hoper like Atlanta or Edmonton. Also, it has to be said: He's probably just sick of Tits Danglepants giggling.

June 9, 2009 at 8:50 PM | Registered CommenterAtheist Aussie

I think Clouston got in his face, as he did the other under achievers, and he didn't like it. He prefers to sit off to the side of the net and one time Spezza's passes. To bad he doesn't understand that he can be a much better all around player.

June 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

I've always liked Heatley but if he doesn't want to be a Senator, then he can get the hell out.

The only thing that sucks is that we finally get a REAL goalie and we may lose the best goal scorer this team has ever had.

June 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

Unless they get exactly what they want for Heatley you don't trade him he doesn't make decisions for management.
He signed a long term contract with a no trade clause so the Senators have the juice and they don't do anything
that hurts the team to satisfy this guy in my opinion.
I'd only trade him for someone like Phaneuf or if they can get real prospects for very little money or high draft picks
so they can free money for Bouwmeester that would even out the salary structure on the team.
He's going to be very difficult to trade because of term and money most teams now are signing players to deals
like Zetterberg Franzen what the Sedins are going to get which is very long contracts that make the cap hit
friendly unlike Heatley's is.

June 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I smell a trade with Philly for Emery.

June 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM | Registered CommenterStephen Butler

Islanders have a lot of cap room, a lot of good young prospects and picks, and a history of taking bad trades from Ottawa.

June 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM | Registered Commenterpucknut

Murray won't trade Heatley within the division, Heatley won't accept going back to the Southeast, and there are no options, really, in the Atlantic. Murray's best hope is to get real competition going, prospects to fire up Binghamton, let them earn their time in Ottawa, and be all the better for it. Wondering if one of our numerous defensemen gets packaged with him.

Don't worry, I'll let you know whatever chatter crosses my path at the draft.

June 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM | Registered CommenterSENShobo

The problem is the salary. There are few teams that can take on that much cap without having a lot of money going back. That means a Heatley for prospects deal is unlikely. The only way we get prospects is if we take someone elses problem off their hands. Like Wade Redden! ;)

June 10, 2009 at 12:38 PM | Registered Commenterpucknut

Heater is one of my favorite players on Ottawa ... hell, favorite Canadian hockey players, period.

That being said, he's gotta go ... better to have a good unwilling player gone than keep a good unwilling player on the payroll and ruin the team’s rhythm …

We've seen a lot of prima donna behavior since the Cup run a few years ago; we had to get rid of Emery for pretty much the same problem ... asking for (and getting ???) a big contract then not playing worthy of it, pouting when he can't get his coveted 40 goals when he doesn't start competing for it until the season is pretty much over ... blaming everyone but himself.

The Sens played better than anyone else down the stretch because they were FINALLY playing as a team. Clouston brought accountability and moved the guys that weren't contributing further back in the line-up - no surprise there. They have needed someone to ride these guys for their best performance, find a way to drive them when they flag, praise them when they do well, and punish them when they don’t contribute.

… and Heatley doesn't seem to like it. Too bad. This is a team sport ... play like it.

I'll cheer for the talent and drive of Dany wherever he chooses to play - he's probably one of the best to ever wear the Team Canada crest. If he can't play for Ottawa like he turns it on for the worlds, then let him go and prosper somewhere else ...

June 10, 2009 at 4:50 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

What's the deal with pro athletes not honoring their contracts? Suck it up princess... I could think of 7.5 million reasons to listen to the coach and work your butt off. If that's too much to ask... hit the road.

June 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM | Registered CommenterSinbinSylo

Can someone clarify about front-loaded contracts: Does Heatley's 10mil this year get paid by the Sens, then only 8mil and finally 6mil by who ever gets him next? I know the Cap hit stays the same, but it kinda seems like we get ripped off.

June 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM | Registered CommenterAtheist Aussie

Heatley's agent was on HockeyCentral at noon with Nick Kypreos today if you want to listen to a weasel you can pick it
up off Itunes or on sportsnet. 6-10 Broadcast.
Why is it all agents sound like lying weasels everytime they open their mouths???

June 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln