Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Habs hire Jacques Martin as new coach

Not sure this is a good choice. Habs will be more boring next year.

June 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

How did they come up with him??? Didn't he do enough damage in Florida to scare anyone off?
I hate the Habs so good on them with him as coach.

June 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Well there's NO DOUBT the Habs will be more boring next year!! At least FROM THE STANDPOINT of post-game coach interviews!

June 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

I guess im the only one who likes this move. I know he's boring....but im a big Jacques fan. He is in the top 10 wins list as a head coach, and he is great at developing young players. He couldn't push the sens over the top, but that was a team that i loved cheering for. Plus, the media yuppies in montreal get their fracophone coach.

Let's just hope the habs never have to face the leafs in the playoffs ;)

June 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

I don't mind Martin. The only beef I had against him was that he never showed emotion or anger behind the bench! I felt that at times, the players could have fed off of having a coach yell at the refs or show some sort of passion. Plus hearing his boring interviews drove me nuts!

And the Sens didn't lose against the leafs because of Martin... they lost because of goaltending. I always believed that and I heard Yorky say the same thing on the radio this afternoon.

June 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM | Registered CommenterShredder

Sens fans aren't fair to Martin. We had some pretty exciting, high scoring teams under him, especially considering it was the trap era. Sure, HE wasn't the most exciting guy, but at least he could coach, unlike some more recent Sens coaches.... And considering the sad sack franchise that we were before he showed up, you'd think people would be a bit more grateful. Some of my best (and worst) memories of the Ottawa Senators are from the time he was our coach. I wish him good luck with Montreal.

June 2, 2009 at 5:54 AM | Registered CommenterRalph Wiggum

Jacques is over-rated. Martin did get his butt handed to him by Quinn in a few of those series. he is a good teacher but hockey is more than x's and o's. no, he never had a great goaler but he never had a plan B and could never adjust in a playoff series. he just kept going status quo no matter how bad things were going. his problem was he could never motivate players to go above and beyond. and i'm sure he'll get along fine with kovalev, maybe the most enigmatic player in the league. that ought to be fun to watch. and how was his record in florida? they made the playoffs how many times? zippo.

and for a team that has problems signing players because of the media, language issues, taxes, and the psycho fans, i'm sure any offensive players will think twice before they jumo into jacques' D first system.

Habs suck so I love it!

June 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell