Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Blues got Screwed!

All the talk about the Brodeur "phantom interference" last night and people seem to have forgotten that a Ref Screwed the St. Louis Blues out of a game! I don't care if the only game they showed up for the entire series was game 4. Hockey cannot be decided by the Officials. That stupid ass rule needs to change. IMMEDIATELY

I didn't see the guys hand go for the whistle until Bobby Lou had the puck between his legs in the blue paint... which means that the guy was officially "thinking" about blowing it for a two count while the puck had already entered the net and was on its way back out.

Sickening.

Ok. I'm done venting.
GO BRUINS!

April 22, 2009 at 1:42 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Even if that goal had counted, there was still a whole period to play, so no guarantees the Blues could have held the lead.

They ref did have his hand up, and was going to blow the whistle. I doubt any of the players would have heard it anyway.

The Blues had 6 minutes of PP time in OT and couldn't score, that crappy power play is one reason they're out.

April 22, 2009 at 1:58 PM | Registered CommenterVelocity Boy

VB is dead on. The Blues lost because they couldn't convert on 2 lengthy 5-on-3s and an OT double-minor. We've seen the "I was gonna blow the whistle so it doesn't count" call many times before. Overall, that series was pretty well-called. The team that deserved to win each game won each game of that series. Vancouver was better offensively, defensively, and in goal for every game.

And the call on the Brodeur play was right as well. No idea what the complaint is there.

April 22, 2009 at 5:14 PM | Registered Commenterpitlick

I have no doubt that the Nucks would have won the series anyway but they were holding on for dear Bobby Lou's Life up to that point.

And I think that a stupid rule- which allows ref watching a puck cross the line be pushed back out and then say he meant to blow the play dead 3 seconds ago- is what makes hockey really ludicrous and idiotic at times.

Why not blow the whistle when you lose sight of the puck... then check the reply without making the decision to create an out for your self by saying you MEANT to blow the whistle... I can bring my hand from my waist to my mouth in less then three seconds, keep my eyes open, my other hand in the air, and still be conscious enough to exhale into a piece of plastic and pay attention to what's going on in front of me... whew!

Sadly NHL refs cannot. They need a "special" rule which allows them an out because they meant to do something. Sadly I've never been able to use the excuse of "I meant to do that" to get out of anything in my life so far... especially not something to do with my job.

Oh and the puck over the glass from the defensive zone... HATE IT!

P.S. Fisher gave Marty B. the same treatment a couple of years back. I had no problem with it then and I have no problem with it now. ;-)

April 22, 2009 at 10:13 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Yeah I know you're just ragging on the rule -- fair enough. Frickin NHL.

But I never felt like the Blues were real contenders, even in game 4. Sure they put together a good period, maybe even two with parts of the overtime. But the Canucks felt so calm and in control. It's like a lesser version of Detroit -- in those first couple games when Columbus came out flying and dominated the shot count, I still always felt like Detroit was in control. They were like Ali playing rope a dope. To a much lesser extent, I always felt like the Canucks had that confidence in the blues series. The scores were close, but it never seemed like they were close to losing. To me at least.

April 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM | Registered Commenterpitlick

I agree completely. I think the Nucks, as long as there goaltending is there (here's hoping there aren't any nagging injuries with Bobby Lou), I notice that they are built quite similarly to another Stanley Cup winning team from a couple of years back.

And they have Sundin... so Toronto fans can see him watch from the press box and mentally will the Nucks to a Stanly Cup Win... yes he is good enough to WILL a team to win while not playing. Ask any Leaf's Fan what the Nucks now owe them.

I'm so glad we can all hate Toronto together!

GO HAWKS! (My pappy's favorite team. Sorry Flames fans)

April 22, 2009 at 10:36 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible