Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > National Anthems

Now I know it's not my national anthem and I know I don't even think they should be played at the games, but St Louis fans booing Oh Canada is poor form of the highest order.

Have some respect.

April 19, 2009 at 7:08 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Don't tell me that's starting again???

I'm actually at the office right now doing some work and won't be able to watch that game... but if the fans boo'd our anthem then I hope the 'nucks kick their ass 10-0.

People R Stoooopid!

April 19, 2009 at 8:03 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

i'd like to point out that I would be equally as pissed off if the Canucks fans did it to the Star Spangled Banner.

Watching England football games in the 80s and 90s I was always embarassed by the booing of the opposition's national anthem - the only time it didn't happen was against Liechtenstein and that's becaus etheir anthem has the same tune as God Save The Queen so the crowd thought it was the England anthem.

April 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Of course... any booing of any national anthem is just wrong.

In North America, I think it started at a Raptors-Pistons playoff game. I think it was the Americans that started it first... then they responded in Toronto... then they started doing at hockey games - primarily in Montreal. I was glad it had finally stopped.

But St, Louis fans may have just started it again.

April 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

if you went to a soccer game in europe and the worst thing that happened was the anthem being booed, wouldn't you call that a huge success?

April 19, 2009 at 9:21 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

yes i have supported England in many places that used to be pretty

April 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Sorry to say here in San Jose against Edmonton a few years ago in the playoffs they booed the Canadian anthem.
People finally stopped when it was pointed out that almost every Shark was a Canadian. Go Figure, Shredder said
it best People R Stooopid!!

April 19, 2009 at 10:00 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Yeah, i was dissapointed to see the fans booing our anthem. I like to think we have more respect.

April 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

"if you went to a soccer game in europe and the worst thing that happened was the anthem being booed, wouldn't you call that a huge success?"

lol.

Anyways I think anthem booing happens pretty much every year. I think it happened last year in the series with the pens, and I remember there was booing during the san jose edmonton series a few years back that caused a lot of controversy. I don't look at it as the fans disrespecting the country but more the team because any american team would be nothing without Canadians (expect Detroit).

April 19, 2009 at 10:18 PM | Registered CommenterRacinette

I thought the same thing when he was singing the anthem, but then they did it again at the end of the American anthem too so I figured they were booing the guy singing . It would make sense to me as I thought he did a poor job of them both.

Or maybe there is something we don't know about in St. Louis with regards to fans chanting things. Like in Vancouver they say "LOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" for Luongo, and did the same thing for the BC Lions and Lui Passaglia back when he was still playing.....

April 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM | Registered CommenterSpaceman

They were shouting BLUUUUUUES

April 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM | Registered CommenterLego

They were shouting BLUUUUUUES

I figured that after watching the game, but I think my point still stands - you should show more respect foe a National Anthem. As i said before I don't like the fact that the anthems are played at all, these teams are NOT representing a country but if it is to be played it should be afforded the proper respect.

I also don't like the fact that some players start to skate during the final line of the anthem, but I might be fighting a losing battle on this one.

April 20, 2009 at 11:37 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Habs fans booed the american anthem tonight. well done again, habs fan. you continue to make it impossible to choose you over leaf fan. the best fans in hockey...yeah, right! they make us veeeeeery proud. fortunately, they will be gone soon enough.

April 21, 2009 at 1:22 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I'd like to see some stats. I bet that no city who has booed a national anthem won the cup that year. It is certainly true for the Habs!

April 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM | Registered Commenterpucknut