Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > I just won tickets to the Winter Classic

So I got a call this morning from Boston Pizza saying that I won tickets to the Winter Classic. It was one of those contests that you enter not really expecting to win, but you might as well right? I'm not sure what section they're in yet, since the woman on the phone didn't even have the tickets yet (she also didn't seem to know a lot about the game, like she didn't even know it was on New Years Day). No airfare or hotels were included.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm kind of conflicted as to what I should do. I mean, it's the friggen Winter Classic! But it's the Red Wings and Leafs. Should I go and cheer for Alfie if I can even find a flight down there (since I live in Thunder Bay)? Should I sell them?

I'm open to all of your suggestions.

December 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

Is a ticket to Detroit (plus accomodation, transportation, meals, etc) an expense that you can cover and justify? I'd do it in a second, as that's the game at the Big House and you'll be in a crowd of 120k+.

Fly to YYZ, stay in Canada and go to the game on gameday? Problem = can't take a rental car across an international border, but you could probably find a ride on an excursion to the game if you can put up with being on a bus with Leafers for 3 hours each way. For example, here's a shuttle from Mississauga for $75.

If not, then StubHub will probably make you some coin on them. They are currently *starting* at $140USD per ticket.

A quick look at airfares shows some available for about $350 (return) leaving TB on the 31st and returning on the 2nd.

December 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

first off, congrats. Now, if it was me, I'd fleece some idiot leaf fan for 3 or 4 mortgage payments for them. and remember, in T.O., mortgages are BIG!!!!

December 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The more I think about it, the more I'm probably just going to sell them. I can cover the costs (apparently I'm "rich" for a 21 year old), but I don't think I could justify going to the game just for Alfie. I've been to NASCAR races before so big crowds are nothing special to me.

I know multiple Leafs fans so I'll probably just end up selling the tickets to them, if not I'll take a look at StubHub.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

December 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

Kardinal - you can take a rental across international border. :) You just check with rental car agency before. I've never had an issue. The border crossing agents will ask to see your contract.

Chuck - If it were me, I'd probably sell them if you can get good value for them. If it were the vancouver-sens game... then I'd look at flying there :)

December 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM | Registered CommenterCanuck

So I've decided to take the easy route and sell them to my sister's boyfriend. Sure I probably won't make as much as I would have if I put them on StubHub but it saves me the trouble.

And yeah, if it was the Heritage Classic game I wouldn't care how much it costs me to get there, I'd go no matter what. The grand prize for the contest was a trip to whatever outdoor game you wanted to see with hotel and airfare (so obviously I would have picked the Heritage Classic), the 2nd prize was Winter Classic tickets with hotel and airfare, and the 3rd was just the Winter Classic tickets which I won. Oh well, still better than nothing. :)

December 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse