Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Realignment and the Playoffs

"...playoffs? PLAYOFFS?!... I just want to win a game" (and we did last night woohoo)

So, question to anyone... how does the realignment affect the playoffs picture? There is now a couple of wildcard spots.
I thought it would still be West top 8 vs. East top 8

October 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

It's the top 3 of each conference automatically make it, then there's 2 wild cards for the east, and 2 for the west. the 2 are the next 2 teams with the most points, so they may be from the same conference depending on how things stack up. IE - BOS, DET and OTT are top 3 in the Other Guys division, if TOR has more points than the 4th place in the Money conference, they get a wild card.

It's as clear as Hybrid Icing

October 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

I know its early but I have a bad feeling about the PO's. I do assume we make it, but so will the Laffs and I'm very affraid we'll meet them. Our record is far from stellar against them the last few years and apart from that epic meltdown, they took the Bruins further than we would have. Add to that the level of play of both teams this year...
I might be fear mongering here, but it would be a nightmare and if you live anywhere in Ontario as a Sens-fan, you would NEVER hear the end of it.

October 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Clear as mud Pan. I guess we'll find out in April during the hours and hours of pre-playoff babbles by the talking heads on TSN.

Labru, the vicious circle of hockey goes like this: Sens own Habs own Leafs own Sens, and everybody owns the Sabers.

October 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/the-explainer-new-nhl-playoff-seeding-format-1.1871216

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs.
The remaining 4 spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division.
It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends just three.

October 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg