Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Around the league, 2013-14 edition

Ottawa has only played 1 prime time Saturday night game this year, against........the laffs. Their next is not until they play detroit on the 23rd. after that, they don't play again in prime time until they play...you guessed it, the laffs.

of course, the way they've been playing, that might be a blessing.

November 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

"So the lafs go out west and have to play a late game for a change. Oh wait. We can't have that. Lets change the game to 4:00 pacific time so that they are in fact playing at 7:00. It is just getting harder and harder to take this league seriously."

never mind that, did you see bure's wife?

November 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Here's some good news for you all.

Kadri gets fed

November 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Ottawa now leads the league in hits. Nice.

November 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I noticed during the BOS-DET game they played the Hawaii Five - O theme after the fifth goal. Obvious, but never heard it before; nice touch!

November 28, 2013 at 2:51 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Kadri gets fed

Yeah, that was the one I was talking about in episode 11, where the little chippy weasel gives a little hit from behind, then a slash, and then doesn't want to go with Calvert. He got fed, and I liked it, and I also liked the linesman getting in front of Clarkson as if to say "No no...not this time....he gets to fight this one himself". Kadri needs to get fed a lot more for his chippy crap -- I'd like to see a Cowen-on-White-from-the-playoffs-last-year type of feeding please.

November 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

I love me some stats. Maybe not too much the advanced once but I always like to have an 'advanced' look at the basic stats. Make some extrapolations etc. Too bad it's already a bit later in the season, making the extrapolations quite plausible. Otherwise there definitely would be some funny/interesting results.

Few tidbits I 'came across' recently:
Crosby is on pace for freaking 111 pts.
Our EK65 headed to 76 pts.
Ryan is on for 38 goals.

I hope I don't jinx anything but Karlsson has 10 PIM's that's one minor penalty every 6 games. That's not too bad, is it?

Michalek is a team worst -14
Gryba is +5, where Hoffman is already -2.

Cowen has actually quite a good shooting percentage (13%), he should definitely shoot more (23 SOG). Wiercioch has a S% of 2.2, which is quite low for a regular on the PP. I know shooting percentage doesn't say everything as shot deflections definitely brought down Karlssons (8,6%). We know he misses prolific chances, but Condra's percentage isn't that bad 11% but he should try a bit hardaaah (26 SOG).

Conacher, Neil & Hoffman should take more face offs as they haven't lost any yet this season.

Sorry, it started out as across the league with Crosby, but since other teams don't do me much I came around to the Sens quite quickly.

December 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Brian Burke fires Flames' GM Jay Feaster and assistant GM John Weisbrod.

From his press conference...

"We want black-and-blue hockey here, that's what we do in Alberta," Burke said. "We've got to be big and more truculent -- I know you're all waiting for the word, there it is. I want a little more hostility out there than what I'm seeing right now."

Now where have I heard that before??? He also had his tie undone and hair all messed up.

I wonder if he'll try to bring Dion Phaneuf back to the Flames.

December 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Love this one. Don't agree with all of it, but who will?

December 19, 2013 at 6:58 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Well, they did it! The laffs signed phagoof for 7 years at 7 million per. Best news possible for Sens fans. They paid him more than ek65!!!!!

2 years tops before leaf fans are booing him and crying about his contract that they can't move.

December 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

that is good news, but the Laffs aren't a budget team and the cap is going to keep going up and up and as we all know every good Canadian boy wants to play for the Laffs

December 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

watching Andre' Benoit play today vs. Sharks and he's on the top PP for the Av's and just scored. he makes 900,000 and I know he's better than Corvo. What was the thinking behind this move letting him go for nothing?

January 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

No idea. Can't think of any good reason they let him go.

January 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

$10,000 fine for lupul's cross check on eaves. No suspension. Dept of player safety, and. Taking care of the leafs.

January 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Watched a bit of the Vancouver- pitspuke game last night. I used to like the Canuck's style of play but the turdman has now changed them into a boring defense first team like the Rangers were. Vancouver fans were booing the trap they were playing when they were 2 goals down. I don't think he last til the end of next season.

January 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Found in the forums on TSN.

"I would give up games on Friday and Sunday nights for just one game on Saturday night. What's with the Leaf schedule this year? NO Leaf fan prefers lousy Friday and Sunday games!"

How many here just want to punch this guy in the face?

January 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Paul Maurice hired as new coach in Winnipeg. " the jets will make the playoffs, and compete for the stanley cup"

the classics never die.

January 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

An article at DownGoesBrown got me thinking.The loser point obscures the real record. At this moment 2.26 points are earned in an average game.
Ottawa has earned 1.04 points per game. This means that Ottawa's actual record is .460. I've only been a fan since the introduction of the shoot out, so I probably don't know what an actual record means, but .460 sure as heck feels more appropriate than the .520 they currently have.

January 20, 2014 at 6:33 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

As a form of SAB (Study Avoiding Behaviour) I did a quick calculation of what the current standings would look like if 2 pts were awarded for a win and none for a loss or OTL/SOL.

Current system in italics

Atlantic
Boston 60 pts 63
Tampa 58 pts 63
Montreal 54 pts 59

Metro
Pittsburg 68 pts 70
Rangers 54 pts 57
Philly 50 pts 55

Wildcards
Toronto 50 pts 55 (50 GP)
Columbus 48 pts 52 (48 GP)

Outside looking in
Washington 44 pts 52 (49 GP)
Detroit 42 pts 52 (48 GP)
Ottawa 42 pts 51 (49 GP)

Jersey & Carolina 40 pts

Central
Chicago 64 pts 75
St. Louis 64 pts 69
Colorado 62 pts 67

Pacific
Anaheim 74 pts 79
San Jose 62 pts 68
LA 58 pts 64

Wildcards
Minnesota 54 pts 59 (51 GP)
Vancouver 50 pts 59 (50 GP)

Outside looking in
Phoenix 46 pts 55 (48 GP)
Winnipeg 44 pts 49 (50 GP)

Dallas (48 GP) & Nashville (50 GP) 42 pts

January 20, 2014 at 6:33 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

If you look at a system where 3 points are handed out every game: 3 for a regulation win, 2 for a OT/SO win and 1 for an OT/SO loss, the standings would be as follows:

Current system in italics

Atlantic
Boston 88 pts 63
Tampa 83 pts 63
Montreal 79 pts 59

You'd see a clear separation between Boston and Tampa, where they are tied now

Metro
Pittsburg 98 pts 70
Rangers 80 pts 57
Philly 76 pts 55

Wildcards
Columbus 71 pts 52 (48 GP)
Detroit 69 pts 52 (48 GP) !

Columbus' record is actually better than Toronto's and Detroit becomes the second wild card team because of a better regulation record

Outside looking in
Toronto 69 pts 55 (50 GP)
Ottawa 67 pts 51 (49 GP)
Jersey & Carolina 65 pts
Washington 64 pts 52 (49 GP)

Hey, that's looking favourable: only two points behind the Garden Waste and a game in hand... sweet.

Central
Chicago 102 pts 75
St. Louis 95 pts 69
Colorado 90 pts 67

Pacific
Anaheim 109 pts 79
San Jose 89 pts 68
LA 84 pts 64

Wildcards
Minnesota 79 pts 59 (51 GP)
Vancouver 76 pts 59 (50 GP)

Outside looking in
Phoenix 71 pts 55 (48 GP)
Nashville 68 pts 49 (50 GP)
Dallas 67 pts 50 (48 GP)
Winnipeg 63 pts 49 (50 GP)

January 20, 2014 at 6:45 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Count me in for either of these systems, as they are fairer than the one in place now. Oh and by the way, they remove the advantages of conservative play in any stage of the game.

Add to all that a 3 on 3 overtime instead of a shoot out... Labru would be a happy guy.

January 20, 2014 at 6:50 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

SAB. LOL.

No one, and I mean no one, puts as much effort into his posts as Labru does.

Years from now, people will look back and say, they gave out points for losing? Really?

January 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Jets farm team might move to Thunder Bay

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441790

Good news for me, maybe I'll get to see a few games vs Bingo in a couple years.

January 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

"#Sens players describing CORSI as being "for losers" restores my faith in hockey humanity" Found this quote on Twitter so it's gotta be true and it should warm Pan's heart too.

January 22, 2014 at 8:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Former Sens Vaclav Prospal retired from the NHL. He apparently turned down a pro contract tryout with Vancouver.

What is surprising about Prospal are his stats and the number of teams he played for.

Philadelphia (2x)
Ottawa
Florida
Tampa Bay (3x)
Anaheim
NY Rangers
Columbus

So 7 different teams, if you count the multiple times he played for the Flyers and Lightning, that's 10 teams

For a journeyman player, he's fot some descent stats
GP=1108
Goals=255
Assista=510
Points=765

Average 19 goals, 57 points

Last season with Columbus he had 12 goals, 30 points. over 48 games, which is slightly above his career average. Prospal has to be one the NHL's quietest career 20 goal scorers. Kind of surprised he wasn't able to sign anywhere. He'd probably relatively cheap and would score close to 20 goals.

January 24, 2014 at 8:57 PM | Registered CommenterHomer