Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2013-14 season outlook

- Ryan is coming in Hot
- Michalek: declares that he's back to 100%
- Karlsson had a chance to recover from his injuries.
- Spezza also had a chance to recover and itching to show Team Canada that they should have included him

Sens Rookies doing well
vs Pitsspurgh 4-1 win
vs Chicago 4-3 win in a shootout
vs Toronto 6-2 Win

particularly good showings by Pageau and Stone.

Hopefully it all adds up to a great season.

oh and Hockey yearbook picks Ottawa Senators to win Stanley Cup

September 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

This really sounds far fetched to me that not only cup winner, but President's trophy? I think Chicago has that one nailed down.

As for the Jennings, yes! Ottawa let in one more goal than Chicago last year, and with Bishop getting lit up a couple times, that hurt the stats. Hell, not having Anderson all year hurt that badly. I don't think I mentioned this, but even though Andy was hurt, he was 4th in Vezina voting. Now that's incredible.

I think Alfie leaving does bring the team together, but who's going to be that spark plug to really lead the team?

September 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

chicago:

shortest summer, stanley cup hangover, will have a ton of guys going to olympics....don't expect them to be as strong as last year.

September 10, 2013 at 12:03 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I've been playing a bit of "armchair coach/GM" and trying to figure out what the lines / lineup might look like. So far, this is what I've come up with (some parts are fluid, others are fixed):

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
???? - Turris - McArthur
Greening - Zinbanejad - Condra
Neil - Smith - ????
extra: Kassian

Likely to fill the holes in the lineup (in at least some order of likelihood): JGP, Conacher, Stone, Prince, Cowick, Petersson

Fluid: Zbad could move to 2nd/3rd line wing, Greening could move up to 2nd line, Smith could move to 3rd line centre.....you get the idea.

September 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

You also got O'Brien, Hoffman, Grant, and Dziurzynski as likely candidates to see time with the Sens.

September 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I forgot Hoffman, Grant and Dizzy, but not O'Brien. He's so far down the depth chart now, even with a 1-way NHL contract, that I don't see him getting a shot before a lot of other guys on the team.

I also forgot Greening - Pageau - Condra as a line combination, but if that's the case I guess Zbad goes to 2nd line wing.

September 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

"Asked if the Leafs will get over their playoff collapse, Macarthur quipped: "I hope not." He smiled."

There's hope for him yet...

September 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

At least I won't be smashing my fist through an inanimate object this year as I scream "Freakin MacArthur! Always him" as he scores a hat-trick against the Sens.

Zibanejad confirmed he'll start at Centre. MacArthur confirmed he'll play with Turris to start.

September 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I thought from what I saw of them last year that Borocop and Gryba can both easily be a #6 D on the big club,

September 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

We cannot be considered contenders unless we address the 2nd line right wing void. We don't have anyone that's truly a top six RW other then Bobby Ryan. Also Cowen must be resigned if we expect to compete in a tough division that includes; DET, BOS, TOR.

Michaelk Spezza Ryan
MacArthur Turris ????
Conacher Zbad Condra
Greening Smith Neil

Methot Karlsson
Corvo Weircoch
Philips Gryba

September 12, 2013 at 5:21 AM | Registered CommenterSens Fan

I'd argue that MacArthur sure the hell isn't a 2nd line winger on a contending team.

September 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I'd argue J. Howard and C. Crawford aren't #1 goalies on contending teams but they both got rings, right?

Coach Maclean will not play MacArthur on the 2nd line if he's not producing, that I'm sure of.

September 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

My opening lineup would be:

LW - C - RW
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Condra - Zinbanejad - Pageau
Greening - Smith - Neil

Rotate in: Conacher, Hoffman, O'Brien and Prince
extra: Kassian

Worried about the size of the 3rd line and the extras but there is a lot of speed and skill.

September 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Alfredsson to wear # 24 in Detroit. Ha! good luck with the 24:24 chant...

September 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Alfredsson to wear # 24 in Detroit. Ha! good luck with the 24:24 chant...

lol....

Hmmm almost forgot about Stone. I have a feeling if Pageau starts to toe the line maybe he'd get a shot? Hard to say, I wish we had a little more depth on RW for that second line.

September 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Sens will play Detroit in the first round of the playoffs and finish them off in six games!

ShanghaiSenator will be drunk and very happy! (this is a very safe bet, especially the 'very drunk' part)

September 13, 2013 at 1:20 AM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

i predict the 2nd part happens around 1st intermission of game 1.

September 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Cowen signed a 4 year $12M deal. We're all in...

September 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Great news about Cowen

Sens Dawg--Crawford and Howard never had that Leaf stink on them so that puts them way ahead of MacArthur

Your right though, he will need to produce or he won't be on that 2nd line long.

September 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

So, I'd like to revise my lineup prediction in light of all the roster movements!

My opening lineup would be:

LW - C - RW
Milo - The Captain - Bobby Ry
MacLeafer - Turris - Conch
Condra - Da Costa - Pageau
Greening - Smith - Neil

Extra: Kassian

The 3rd line looks pretty skilled an responsible. Not very physical but they will be hard to play against with their puck control and peskyness.
They have an option of moving Greening up to play with Condra and Pageau as that line had a lot of success in the playoffs, but I can't see Da Costa on the 4th line, so that would mean he gets pushed out of the lineup altogether.

Based on camp performance, my choices for first callups would be: Prince, Petersson, Jimbo (FWDs) and Boro, Rutkowski, Sdao

September 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

BobMcKenzie is saying the ZBad move down to Bingo is financial driven--this Bozo Melnyk just needs to sell this damn team before he ruins it competitively and even more financially.
Can't believe that Murray or MacLean can be happy if the team is 8+M under the cap and having to pinch pennies to field a competitive team.
That's if McKenzie is right.

SensDawg in your callups u don't even list Zibanjad at all. Did he play like sh*t all preseason and training camp?
What about Stone? Where is he now?

September 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

He didn't play like shit but like Murray said Da Costa and Pageau played better. Maybe I'm drinkin the cool aid but I believe the organization is trying to reward and give ice time to those that are giving it their all. Doesn't hurt that Zibanejad doesn't need to clear waivers. Da Costa showed good offensive flair, Pageau chipped in also and even got bloody against the Laffs.

As far as callups, Prince and Petersson had a good rookie camp and I think they'll keep improving. Jimbo may get a callup if he keeps working hard and saying the right things, even if it's just to be picked up on re-entry waivers or to be traded.

October 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg