Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Season 2 Episode 1 is now up!

It's great to be back!

August 30, 2013 at 8:17 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

we're coming in hot -- literally

August 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM | Registered CommenterCanuck

something to listen to on my way home.

Are you coming in hot as DJ Z-Bad?

August 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

JP BARRY IS PHILLIPS' AGENT!!!!????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

yeah, I can really see Murray allowing him to wear the C with his contract ending this year and that guy as his agent!!!! F*&K!!!!!!!!!

*counting my pennies*

August 30, 2013 at 3:43 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

it sure looks like JP Barry and Scott Boras are the same guy

August 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I figured out my mistake on the math. Since the 03/04 season, total tickets sold is $7,021,593. Multiply that by $7 each is $49,151,151. This does not include any pre-season or playoff games, lease payments from the team to the Scotiabank Place or other ticket sales or event revenues from concerts, circuses, etc.

August 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Agreed, the Senators themselves might be losing money, but the Sens + Canadian Tire Centre + Capital Tickets combined are not hurting and one cannot exist without the others. Don't forget about parking that probably goes to CTC.

Having the Sens lease their use of the arena is a business expense that lowers hockey related revenues that ties in the overall NHL cap. Makes sense for Melnyk to apply as many expenses as he can to the team and line his pockets other related businesses.

In regards to Alfie's logic that he only made $1M on the last year of his contract so he should get more than market value this year to make up up it.... well let me ask this question. Let's say fair market value is $4.5M and hypothetically he would have made $7M last year, would he have taken $2M?

For Conacher, I hope to see him do well. Remember that last season when the rest of the veterans played 1/2 a season, he played a full one. So he was probably out of gas at the end, while the rest were in mid season form.

August 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

"Bring me Lord Kassian's head on a platter" OMFG I lost it. Too funny.

August 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

Conacher has tons of potential but I am always skeptical about guys that small until they prove they can hang. Most small guys don't turn out to be the next St.Louis.

August 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Great to hear you guys again. Made it up to Ottawa for one night meet a buddy of mine from overseas who was in town. Had a Friday afternoon beer in the Senate. Looked like it had been santized of Alfie jerseys. Sat down sort of depressed and opened the Sun only to find that the press conference had been the previous day....Ugh. Anyway, a big decision is coming for me regarding my jersey. Methot is great pick for you guys. He's bit immature on Twitter but he is a pro athlete in his 20s. He seems to love being in Ottawa, and he was so solid back there compared to Cowan and Gryba. Just showing his experience. Phillips was similar this year. Just going for the high percentage plays back there.

Anyway, here's my beef: What the heck is happening on our right wing? We've lost Alfie and Silfverberg who were playing top 6. So it's supposed to be Pageau and Stone ultimately? Let's hope that works or that Peterssoon develops fast. We blew out both top 6 RWs and added no one. I'm hopeful. I can imagine Turris out there looking on each wing and seeing McArthur and Pageau and saying "I'll never get to 60 points on this line!"

August 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Drove by the arena Thursday and they were putting the new Canadian Tire Centre signs on the building.

August 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

did they have the right size wrench?

August 31, 2013 at 11:19 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Just listened to podcast, the Canucks did buy out KeithBallard. Owner has said they aren't buying out Luongo but if DavidBooth had been healthy they would have bought him out too. Sedins are up but the Cap is going north of 70M next year and they'll have space to keep them if they both want. Pan and Canuck I'll be in Vancouver in a week do u want a signed Luongo jersey or anything? :-)

September 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Aaaahhhhh... another podcast... whooo! Great to see the team back in action!

You know, I'm over Alfie. It took a month or so but I got over it. It was a business decision... was it selfish, yeah probably... but whatever. Am I a bit bitter, probably. I think he wanted way too much for what a player over 35 makes and I agree with the podcast that he really slowed down a lot last year. (Doesn't mean he wasn't valuable as a captain and leader)

It could be that it's different for me being out here in winterpeg, having our own problems. (i.e. the newspaper posting pictures of fat Byf, Toby Enstrom getting kocked out and mugged in Sweden) So maybe I'm twice removed from the actual impact it has on the city of Ottawa. But even writing this, it still hurts. It'll keep hurting until he finally retires, which will be bittersweet.

I saw a great comment on one of the news pages though that said "If Detroit tanks, can we pick Alfie up at the trade deadline?"

Also for team Canada.. I dunno why we'd even bother taking players that were good on the powerplay... we all know in international competition Canada plays a man down almost the entire game, especially on International ice. I just hope we don't take Kris Letang.

September 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

imagine if we lost alfie for nothing, then had to pay to get him back? ouch x 2.

September 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

since Spezzial brought up the Olympics again, the Americans may have 2 Leafers on the US team Kessel and JakeGardiner so with those 2 on the US it's a lock for Gold. So u Canadians don't have to worry about your PP or anything else it's a lock for "us".

when is the last time or anytime has a Leafer been on the Canadian Olympic team?

September 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

tj, I think I speak for many here when I say this.

The only Maple Leaf to be proud of is a red one not blue.

September 4, 2013 at 5:51 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Ahhh... everytime I think of the Leafs I think of the Boston game last year. That memory is going to carry me a long way.

September 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

I can just picture you doing like Bart Simpson did to Lisa when she broke Ralph Wiggum's heart. Play it over and over in slow motion.

September 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

everytime I think of the Leafs I think of the Boston game last year. That memory is going to carry me a long way.

You mean, like this:

Toronto Maple Leaf Fans React to Boston Bruins Game 7 Overtime

and

ACC square -- end of OT, game 7

September 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Finally getting to watch Money Ball tonight. Makes me feel better. At least the Sens aren't spending a third what the top teams are. We're spending over two thirds I think.

September 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I can just picture you doing like Bart Simpson did to Lisa when she broke Ralph Wiggum's heart. Play it over and over in slow motion.

"You can pinpoint the exact second where their hopes rip in half."

September 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Pesky, Moneyball started here in Oakland and they still are waiting for a WorldSeries Title, or better yet a AL Finals or better yet a frikkin playoff series win. Moneyball in Hockey sure the hell doesn't work Chicago was a Cap team, Pitts, Det, Chicago a few years ago, and Boston all Cap teams that win the Cup. Budget teams are just that just like when u go shopping on a budget u get stuff that doesn't last and has little quality.

September 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

In a previous post I mistakenly forgot that Ryan was a right winger. It was a couple of weeks back, but it's the dumbest thing I've ever posted on here. It eclipses my "Spezza must be traded" comment after the 2012 playoffs.

I'm going to take a 30 day suspension from the Forums for making such a dumb mistake. I guess, like the people on the street, I don't know Bobby Ryan...

PS: Thinking about getting a Turris jersey. Am I crazy? He was solid in the playoffs and is going to be here a while.

September 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I'm going to take a 30 day suspension from the Forums for making such a dumb mistake. I guess, like the people on the street, I don't know Bobby Ryan...

Just like the NHL we're pretty lenient with suspensions. a $2,500 fine will be suffice.

September 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM | Registered CommenterHomer