Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Alfie returneth not. :-(

PatrickElias had the same choice to make, a legacy player for his team and he stayed in NJ even though Detroit and SanJose were going to come hard for him along w/ others

July 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

but he won a few Cups, so not the same. just thought of that

July 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

People may not like this but i'm fine with it. It's time for a leadership change anyways. We have lots of good leaders on the team, and if he wants to go then see ya later!

July 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

It would've been different if he had been like Iginla and switched mid-season with one of the teams that making a serious cup run. I would have applauded and wished him good luck and I think the fans would've supported him. Him leaving for the entire season is what for me, is hard to swallow.

July 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

WTF. I only went away for 2 days.

July 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

@ Boingy -- thank for the comment and love for my handle.

Anyways I think the Sens are a better team today then they were yesterday at 11:59am. Ryan and MacArthur great additions. MacArthur alone has the same amount of points as Alfie has in the past few years, will replace him in the pts department and Ryan wow what a great addition to the team!!!. I also believe with another poster on here that the Sens are not that far off to win a cup from Detroit. I am really looking forward to seeing Ryan and MacArthur in action come October.

July 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Will the Sens retire no. 11 now? It was a given that the season after his retirement, Alfie's number would be retired and risen to the rafters. I'm sure that any ceremony will have to be put on hold for a few years.

July 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Oh boy, I can hardly contain myself waiting for October and watching Clarke MacArthur and his 8 whole goals in 48 games and healthy scratch in the playoffs and 5th highest paid player on the team take his place on the checking or grinding 3rd line or 4th line. If he's on the 2nd line then this team is in serious trouble because he is not a 2nd line player or a 2 unit PP player. He wasn't trusted enough to play in the most important games of Toronto's season and that was a team that bitch slapped Ottawa every game but one last season. But that's just me, 3.25M for 8 goals I guess is the going rate when your team decides it will be 14M under the Cap and your competitors will be at 64M. Good luck with that.

July 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

we're all mad, shocked, bitter and hurt right now but in a year or two, all will be forgiven. He's still the guy who carried the team for 17 years and still the guy who's name we chanted. Whatever his reasons were, its not the fans he has an issue with.

July 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell
July 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Just listened to the show. ...should've listened to this right when it came out on the weekend now I'm depressed all over again thinking about it. Although I seem to be going through the 7 stages of grief and I'm now somewhere between anger and resignation. I don't think I'd boo him but I wonder how fans in Winnipeg will react honestly when he goes to play in our arena this year.

As soon as the news broke out on Friday 4 people in my office messaged me to offer their condolences.

In the long term, I don't think it will hurt Alfie as much as we think it will.

Also to the podcast- Mike Modano wanted to play out his career in Dallas and they refused to re-sign him, so he went to Detroit. Two years before that they also stripped him of his captaincy because he was 'too old' and they gave it to someone else.

So I think it's slightly different. I'd compare it to Mats Sundin where he came out of retirement/whatever he was in and played with Vancouver for half a season instead of the Leafs.

July 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

While it was a kick in the nuts at the time, after a spate to reflect I'm fine with this.

Alfie's decision to leave was largely the result of the same character traits that we came to love him for.

- Competitiveness: He finally admitted he wanted a Cup. Good for him. He knows he may only have one year left with a full 82 game season, and Ottawa is not quite there yet.

- Unselfish loyalty: He carried this franchise for 17 years through the good and the bad. He played out the last year of his contract at a ridiculous $1 million. In the press conference he admits that Ottawa is building something great, and admires the team that is taking shape. But he knows they're not quite there yet. I believe he left now rather than midseason in order to relieve pressure on the organization to sell off some of their future to make a push just for him. I suspect that he doesn't want to be a rental, and rather be there for the entire season.

He left on his own terms to fulfill his dream at a time that the organization should not be making moves for a Cup run. Good on him, the team needs to move forward out of his shadow to make themselves a new identity.

July 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

not to spoil your post Orange, but if Ottawa had met his agents demand of 12M over 2 years at the start of free agency then Alfie would still be a Senator.

July 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

its become pretty obvious to me that if Alfie had stayed, we would not have Ryan now. Ryan was plan B. Melnyk was not going to spend for both.

July 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

if that's the case until Melnyk sells or gets more investors with plenty of money or lastly that TSN, CBC and Rogers contracts come in this team is going to run a very small payroll compared to it's direct competitors in Boston, Det, Toronto and Montreal who are all going to spend to whatever cap there is.

July 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Like it or not, we are a small market team and cannot compete for players with the teams that have more money than brains. We will have to rely on developing draft picks and reclamation projects like Turris.

July 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Alfie has been down-graded from the 14" golden hammer to a 4" rusty mallet.

August 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The article in the Citizen that I just read from Melnyk sure shows that Alfie won't have any place back in the Ottawa organization after his playing days are over, and it sure looks like he'll not move back to Ottawa and return to Sweden to live--can't see him settling in Detroit or anyone with real money settling in Detroit area. In my opinion.

Below is an excerpt from the article

Asked if he was fine with the way negotiations went, he said: “I’m definitely OK with the way things happened. You can’t turn back the clock. Look, we play as a team, and no one single player supersedes the betterment of the whole team.”

The interview continues, and yields this take on Alfredsson's decision...

“I was never upset — I don’t think that’s a fair way to categorize it. I was — like everyone else, I was surprised, and the bottom line is, he is a great legacy to the organization. We would have liked to have had him finish his career with us, but you know, it’s his life, it’s his decision,” he added. “If he’s true to his word that he thinks, and I believe he is, that he thinks he can win a Stanley Cup — or somebody convinced him he can win a Stanley Cup — more likely in Detroit than in Ottawa, it’s his decision.

“I think he’s wrong, I’ll tell you that, that’s where we part ways — I disagree — ‘cause I think we’re a better team, but if he believes it and he’s committed to it, then it was his prerogative,” Melnyk continued. “All we could do is wish him all the best. We look forward to Detroit finishing right behind us and him having a good year.”

August 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

It's not word-for-word (I can't type that fast), but here's a summary of DA11's press conference today at the ROH. He's continuing his commitment to the hospital and mental illness awareness, but he was also talking about how things went with the team as far as negotiations. It's turning into a he said / she said as Murray has since been quoted in the Sun.

How I came to this ‘new adventure’.

Bibi and I came to Ottawa to make it home, not PEI, for at least a couple of years; it became 18 years. Over those years, became the father to 4 young Ottawans, make some special friendships, to play over 1100 games, to lead team for 13 years. A journey family will treasure. Part of that journey was learning what a special place Ottawa is, have always been supportive to me and my family, picked us up, always supported those in need and to me and my family. To the army of Sens fans, organization, staff, teammates, on behalf of Bibi and myself thank you from the bottom of our hears. Hockey was why we came here but it was this hospital and team that taught me valuable lessons, how to take hard decisions and how to talk about them in public with confidence, how important the struggle for awareness of mental health issues are important. To Royal Ottawa Hospital, the Boys & Girls Club, and all the charities I’ve worked with: thank you too.

How did i come to this hard decision to move my family and career to Detroit?

When I did my last contract to end in 2012, asked to help salary cap by adding a year to the contract by adding a year. Both sides understood that probably would retire and wouldn’t play last one. Negotiations for extension at fairer value were asked for to balance out the past season, but didn’t work out. Last season was special. I decided in late June I wanted to play one more season, told mgmt I wanted to return, reminded about agreement from previous year, to my disappointment negotiations stalled, days later other teams contacted me, including Detroit which I liked. They needed a right handed shot. I was delighted about their enthusiasm about me fitting into their plans and team. It opened my eyes to a possibility I had never thought of, of playing another year or two with another team. We struggled with this decision. We decided in the end for a new adventure in Detroit. We felt this summer like we did all those years ago: excited and nervous. We are not sure how long this new adventure will last, or if/when we will return but Ottawa will be always in our hearts.

My dedication to this community remains, as does my commitment to this great hospital.

Scanlan question about comment from the day he signed in Detroit: I wish I could take the ‘better chance’ comment back. These are two great teams. All know in today’s NHL that making the playoffs is what counts and anything can happen after that.

August 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

When I did my last contract to end in 2012, asked to help salary cap by adding a year to the contract by adding a year. Both sides understood that probably would retire and wouldn’t play last one.

That's an interesting statement. I think it's the 1st time that either side (player/team) admitted that they signed a contract with an extra year with the "understanding" that it probably wouldn't be played for the sole purpose to reduce the cap #. Now Alfie did end up playing that final year, so nothing will probably come of it from the NHL, but I could see them giving the Sens a call.

One has to wonder if there was no lockout, would Alfie have played a full season? Sure he felt good last year, but it was a half season. Will he be able to endure a full season in a very competitive division?

August 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM | Registered CommenterHomer