Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Alfie returneth not. :-(

Looks like it is a done deal. Alfie has signed a 1-year-deal in Detroit.

I know he was going to leave eventually, but like most of us, I assume that he would retire as a Senator. I did NOT think he would finish out his career elsewhere, and ESPECIALLY not with a team that is moving into Ottawa's division.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426996

July 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM | Registered CommenterBoingy

Piss on you, mr. alfredsson.

I thought you were better than that.

July 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

just in shock

July 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM | Registered CommenterAtheist Aussie

Say it ain't so Alfie. Russell promises to give up bacon if you come back.

July 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

It seems pretty obvious that something has happened over the past week, since Alfie said he was going to play another season.

From the Detroit website:

Prior to late Thursday afternoon, Alfredsson wasn’t on the Red Wings’ radar, as their first priority in free agency was to sign a No. 2 center. However, his agent started shopping him around, seeking a one-year deal for the 40-year-old Swede who has spent his entire 17-year NHL career in Ottawa.

It looks like something went really wrong with negotiations. I'd say it's Murray saying "give me a number" rather than giving a starting point.

Whatever.......this isn't going to be easy to handle for me.

July 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Like a lot of people, I had long thought that the post-Alfredsson era in Ottawa was going to start this coming season, back when there was all the buzz about his imminent retirement. Then there was the "one more season" announcement, which I guess we all just assumed was going to be a "victory lap" of sorts in Ottawa. Nothing doing, it seems.

The post-Alfie era really is going to begin this season after all, but not the way we thought it would--with a retirement, a tearful goodbye, retiring his number, and lots of glowing articles in the Citizen and Sun. Instead, it will begin with him in the uniform of a divisional rival! In other words, it begins with a kick in the nuts!

SpezzialDelivery said in another thread that Alfie is entitled to make as much money as he can and take as best a shot at a championship as he can while he can. I can't dispute that.

But still...after all the genuine love this guy has been shown by the Ottawa fan community, this does feel like a kick right to the grapes with Matt Cooke's skate.

July 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

SpezzialDelivery said in another thread that Alfie is entitled to make as much money as he can and take as best a shot at a championship as he can while he can. I can't dispute that.

I tried to take myself out my shoes as a 'fan' for a second and think about it like a business. Even so... I don't think Detroit is going to win a cup this year and even if they looked really good and Aflie went Iginla-style to them at the end we'd probably cheer it on because we knew it was his last hurrah.

But to sort of throw it all away to take off before his final season... I know a lot of it isn't about the 'money' it's about 'earning what you're worth'. But it's hard to sympathize when they're already earning more money in one year than I will in my lifetime. I think Kardinal is right, something must've gone horribly wrong in negotiations this week. I'll miss pointing out the Alfie chant to people on TV.

Just feeling devastated.

July 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Somehow, I think we have heard the last of the "Alfie" chant. Call it a hunch.

July 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

Shocked beyond belief. It's terrible on all levels and good on none.

The money must have been way off. Like $1.75mli less. Is it his fault? We DID have the cap room. That WAS his market value. It was only a year committment. Who's fault is it then?

I think Alfie wants a Cup bad. He often has a blow up in the playoffs when it's clear they aren't going to go further. Remember the stick explosion all over Silfverg in the NYR series. Not to mention the shot at Niedermeyer. And finally the recent "we can't come back" comments this season. When he knows it ain't going to be this year he gets angry. He wants a Cup more than more Alfie chants at this point.

July 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I hear that, Pesky, and I have never doubted Alfie's competitive drive, but if you're only coming back for one year...its a gamble no matter which team you pick, right? Only one team out of 30 gets to win the Cup in any given year, after all.

Its one thing if you see a team that is building toward something big, and sign on for two or three (or more) years. But to put all your eggs in one basket for one year? Seems like a big crapshoot to me.

It must have been the money. They must have made him an offer that was insultingly low. That is the only explanation I can think of that makes any sense.

July 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

pissed off.....we're probably doing an emergency episode tonight....EEEEEMMMMAIILLL THE SHOW!

July 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

I can't even began to write all the curse words I want to use---I kept hearing BobMcKenzie on Montreal and Toronto radio saying that this wasn't a done deal coming back to Ottawa but I really didn't think it would come to this....

F'ing Pissed about this---the fans have got to hear from Melnyk on this not Murray, this had to of been an ownership call
Melnyk can sure be a stupid owner and he runs that damn mouth of his a lot, this is on him and that damn agent and of course Alfredsson in the end too.

Detroit of all places, I already hated them and now it just got 10 times worse

July 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I think we're looking at financial problems again for the first time in a long time. I don't think Gene can afford to spend much more than the cap floor.........

If that's the case we have far bigger problems on the ice than a 40 year old leaving.

July 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones
July 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Thanks Pesky for not brightening my day with that post, and that's because you are probably right--Owners w/financial problems never ever win sh*t.

July 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Puddleduck is pissed from the looks of that video

July 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I've only been a Senators fan since 2003 but this is the worst day ever in my history being a fan with this team, even losing to Toronto and Buffalo and a million times to Pittspuke, and then they top it off giving a 3rd line puke from Toronto 3.25 Million a year to be a grinder when they have a frikking million grinders already on this team
I'm off work today and got to much time on my hands, have to quit reading and listening to this sh*t--has Murray been taking cues from Gillis in Vancouver and didn't notice that MacArthur was a HEALTHY SCRATCH through out the playoffs. Did Murray and Melnyk smoke some bad sh*t or what?!?

July 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

He's a professional athlete plain and simple...Remove your emotions from the picture this is just a business deal. I am honestly sick of all the complaining and negativity around this. I hope he ends up winning a cup with Detroit and wish him the best, but at the end of the day its not the end of the world, he's just another human resource like the rest of us.

July 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

(this is the best summary I could quickly type while listening to the Detroit news conference this afternoon)

Alfredsson's comments on conference call with Detroit this afternoon:

- difficult decision to leave Ottawa after 17 seasons
- had nothing but great times in Ottawa
- didn't see myself making a change even a week ago
- got closer to free agency, thoughts creeping in, haven't won a Cup, that's my dream, talked to Detroit
- Detroit showed interest and has won championships in the past
- excited to get opportunity to fulfill a long-term dream
- was very difficult to contact teammates and Senators organization to tell them going somewhere else
- last few days have been difficult

SN question: Why did you decide to move? Came down to selfish decision that I haven't won a Cup, it's a big priority for me, Ottawa is getting closer and closer and going in the right direction with a bright future, but at this point I don't have the time to wait for that. A tough decision to make that hasn't really sunk in, but doing it for myself and this feels like the right thing to do for me.

ESPN question: What made you think Detroit was better contender than others? Had to make choice among 30 teams. Talked to a few, I liked the puck possession game and fast pace game of Detroit. Liked the personnel, and I can come in and be of help in different areas, and be part of something good. I know lots of the guys from other situations and how they play. Good culture in this team.

Mendes: You talked about Ottawa not being a contender....did the last two games against PIT solidify that? No, not really, as I said earlier, I felt a week ago that I wasn't going to go anywhere. Then the negotiations went a few days and I started thinking that Ottawa is in a great spot and going well with lots of good things in the right direction, I don't want to change anything going on there nor demand Bryan / Eugene to make a push for me to go for it. Too many things going on, stay the course there, torch will have to be passed soon anyway. That is my reasoning to look somewhere else for a team that has a lot of guys that have been there before, are going to go for it to try and win again. This organization really knows this sort of thing. That's how it came about. If I retired, and stayed in Ottawa, and enjoy my last year there, it would have been a great ending, but the ultimate prize, and you know Ian I'm a competitive person, I don't think I would have had the same drive to play it out. I felt I needed a different challenge. it was an extremely hard decision to make.

Supplemental from Ian: are you worried about your legacy in this city? No, I'm not worried about my legacy. I expect there will be anger and bad sentiment from fans. There definitely should be. I thought that through, and I have my favorite teams and players too. I know what I did in Ottawa, I gave it everything through my career and so many people to thank. This is about me, not for anybody else. It's all about trying to get the Stanley Cup.

Laurie Fegan, CBC Ottawa: you've left a huge impact here in Ottawa, hockey and charities, incl Royal Ottawa Hospital mental illness plan. Will you continue this, giving you won't be living here? yes, I am going to continue to be committed to my charities in Ottawa. Boys and Girls, ROH, and others. I've invested a lot in Ottawa, and they have in me. This is a sports decision to challenge myself to see if I can get to the ultimate goal in this sport. The ultimate prize in hockey is the Stanley Cup.

Follow up from Laurie: Family to stay in Ottawa? We are going to move the family to Detroit. Very hard to live apart at this time in their lives. An adjustment, but all are going to Detroit. After the 1 year deal, we'll see, but that is the plan. Can't say if I'll come back to Ottawa after that or not. Ottawa is a special place but we will spend a year in Detroit and go from there.

(Detroit media question) When you were talking with Zetterberg, were you talking about playing together with Datsyuk? They are two of the best 2 way players in the game. With or without the puck they do so many good things, and do well under pressure. I don't know if coach Babcock has made his mind up about who plays with who, but he's happy that I'm joining as I'm a right handed shot and there will be lots of chances for me. We've talked about lots of things: hockey, living around Detroit, I've got 4 boys and will need to find everything we've had in Ottawa in Detroit.

July 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

I'm not surprised at Daniel's comments about this being about him wanting to win a Stanley Cup, but I question what he said as the reasoning about how he made this decision. He's earned the right to make the move, but I think he's covering for something else. I can't believe he went from "I'm coming back to Ottawa" to "I'm leaving" in a week.

I don't think the legacy in Ottawa is tarnished, but I think it takes a step back for not finishing his career here.

July 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Sounds like I was totally wrong about the money being the issue. What really threw me is that Murray (and tweets from Karlsson) made it sound like a done deal.

I think he just snapped and made a sudden decision to risk it all and go for it. I think it's telling that his attitude changed when he was back in Sweden. Sounds like he would have made a different decision if he was staying in the house out in Kanata.

July 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

so much to say but the thought that keeps coming back to me is that i don't think the wings are a better bet to win it all than the sens are.

July 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Episode just recorded and produced -- and should be available soon

July 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM | Registered CommenterCanuck

@methottomymadness (GREAT handle, by the way--love it): I agree with you, but only to a point.

Alfredsson is indeed a professional athlete, and has the right to make career decisions just like the rest of us do. No argument there. And in the end, life will go on. The Ottawa Senators will play on, and enjoy both success and failure. No matter what, Alfie wasn't going to be in Ottawa forever.

But I strongly disagree that Alfie is "just another human resource", not after all that he has done for and meant to the Ottawa Senators. To say that he is "jut another human resource" is really to say that he is "just another hockey player". It implies that his leadership, his experience, his skill, and the rapport that he built with fans all meant nothing. I can't look at his time in Ottawa and think that. It doesn't compute.

There is also the sheer shock of this change. Up until yesterday, we were all pretty much convinced that Alfie was going to retire as a Senator, either this year or next. Alfredsson's announcement about Detroit was a very abrupt change, and we need some time to digest it.

Now, your basic point is still sound: hockey players move around a lot for various reasons. He was going to leave town soon anyway. Deal with it. That is a fair point, and it is a point well taken.

And deal with it this club and its fans will. As we saw this year, the Sens have a vibrant core of young hockey players, and are headed in an exciting direction. And Alfredsson's career is coming to an end soon, so his leadership was not part of the club's long-term future anyway.

But he wasn't "just another human resource". This will be a different hockey club without him.

July 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM | Registered CommenterBoingy

Word.

July 6, 2013 at 3:33 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones