Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Alfie returneth!

PRAISE ALFIE! THE GOLDEN GAWD IS COMING BACK!

From Marie Lehmann, Hockey reporter in Sweden (via Twitter):

Daniel Alfredsson har bestämt sig för att fortsätta karriären. "Min agent ska sätta sig i kontraktsförhandlingar". #twittpuck #nhl

Daniel Alfredsson has decided to play another year. "The playoffs felt great. No backproblems". #nhl #sens

"I needed a few weeks to see if the necessary urge for summertraining and precamp was there. And it is", Daniel Alfredsson. #nhl #sens

"The chance to maybe play one more Olympics wasn't part of my desicion to continue BUT I'd like to, ofcourse", Daniel Alfredsson #sens

....and to top it all off:

@ErikKarlsson65: It's a beautiful day !!! #perfect

Now, Mr Murray: get him signed, please.

June 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

@DarrenDreger:

Alfredsson confirms to agent J.P Barry he will play next season. Barry now must negotiate contract with Sens GM Bryan Murray. #TSN

June 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Glad to see him back. Negotiation probably won't take too long. Probably in the neighbourhood of $4.5M, which is what Whitney and Jagr got from Dallas. Alfie's cap hit last season was $4.8. I'd expect it to be for 1 year and he'll decide after that if he wants to sign on for another season. Granted his back felt good this season, but it was a shortened one. I don't think he'd want to handcuff Ottawa with a two year contract if he's not sure if he'll be able to play two years.

June 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Great News!!!

June 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

...and it was good.

June 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Happy happy joy joy!

One more year! Awesome!

June 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Whew... thank goodness. Not that this year wasn't already better than expected but I'd have hated him to go out after a shortened season with the craptacular send off CBC gave him.

July 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Rumblings are that Alfie wants a $5-6 million deal and Euge may not be able to afford him. Elliott's Friedman brought it up in his 30 thoughts blog.

July 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM | Registered CommenterCuckelson

Hehe. Alfie has unlikely done anything other than tell his agent to do his job and head off for fun in the sun in Sweden. It's all business from here on. We've been spoiled by having the Golden Gawd on a long-term contract for so long.

July 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Chiarelli reached out to Alfie's camp and spoke "at great length" according to Pierre LeBrun of TSN. Hopefully it was about the Bruins getting their asses kicked in the Finals.
He can't sign anywhere else can he?!?!?!?

July 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

From the friend of a friend file. Sens may offer Alfie a cheaper 2 or 3 year deal but he would only be expected to play for one year. Not familiar with the technicalities but I guess he would get paid if he plays or retires.

July 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

My guess: Chiarelli, former assistant in Ottawa, is doing Murray a 'favour' by talking to the agent to set a bar. I can't see Boston being serious about wanting Alfie. This is Ottawa Sun filler, nothing more. Much ado about nothing. Alfie has a wife and four kids -- they aren't moving to another city for one season (or maybe two), and he's not going to go there and play without them after enjoying spending more time with them than usual during the lockout.

July 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

He will stay if there's any way he can which there should be. The team wants to sign him too. The delay is that he is probably worth more on the open market than what the Sens are looking to pay. So...it comes to asking the Golden Gawd for a hometown discount. I'm sure JP Berry is saying "that's whack!" So a leaked call toChiarelli is his next tactic.

Alfie's probably worth $5mil to a team eyeing playoff run. His lack of term and desire for the Cup would make him very attractive.

Does anyone have any idea of Melnyk's financial situation? He may be really hurting after the lockout.

July 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

might be a divorce more than the lock-out that hurt him.

July 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Divorce? Is Ontario a 50/50 split province like most US states? if u are Eugene will be hurting

July 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Not familiar with the technicalities but I guess he would get paid if he plays or retires.

As far as I know, for a +35 year old player, if he retires before his contract is up, he doesn't get paid, but the team is still on the hook for the cap hit. This is to prevent teams giving an older player $9M over three years, with the intention that the player only plays one. The player would only get $3M, not the full $9M for only playing one year.

July 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Dreger is saying he's mulling offers from Det Bost and of course Ottawa, dammit he's treating this like he's a UFA or something :-)

they can't let him leave over money

July 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Dreger is getting his info from Pierre LeBrun, who was the one flogging the Alfie-to-Bruins rumours during the run up to the trade deadline. All the reports on this story refer to LeBrun as the source. i'm starting to think ESPN has a bonus system based on the number of retweets, page views or comments at the bottom of a story on their website.

July 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Barry is using the press to run up a market/$$ figure for Alfie. nothing new there.

July 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

he's doing a damn good job of it then, Bob McKenzie says that the opening offer by Barry caught Murray and Melnyk by surprise by how much he wanted. He also said Boston and Detroit are very serious in their offers.

July 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

but Murray is confident, so I hope to hell he's right

July 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Same here.... When I saw rumours that he might be signing with Detroit I was like, "Yay! -uh wait, what!? o_0"

I don't want to selfish about the whole thing, because I know Alfie hasn't won a cup or anything, he's entitled to try and earn what he thinks he's worth, etc. But... please, please don't let your legacy end with bitter feelings and an angry city that was your home for the past 20+ years. I just think the Mats Sundin fiasco, or what would happen if Lidstrom had played his final year in Pittsburgh and not Detroit. (As an example)

You'd go from being treated like... well a Golden God to ... a 3rd line centre on another team.

July 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

SI.com is reporting that Alfie has signed with Detroit, and saying that multiple sources have cofirmed it.

http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/05/report-daniel-alfredsson-tells-ottawa-senators-hes-leaving/

July 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM | Registered CommenterBoingy

I hope he will be back but it doesn't look good.

He would certainly be welcomed by the Ottawa Senators after he retires, provided he remains with the team throughout his career. I'm not sure I would want him back if the rumours are true.......

July 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator