Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2013 Draft, buyouts, UFA frenzy

A definite WTF.

July 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

don brennan had something to do with this.

July 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Corvo? No one else was available?

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at acquiring Jagr, provided we could get him for a decent price.

July 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

tj is not going to like this....

July 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Well Sutton & Redden are available.....if we were going to pick up former sens players...

July 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM | Registered CommenterChris

yet they let benoit go. huh?

July 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Didn't Sutton officially retire?

But really... CORVO? The guy that left because he didn't like Ottawa? I guess it wasn't that bad after all...

I was hoping we'd stick with Gryba.

July 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Good catch, i must have missed sutton retiring.
Maybe we could go after Brenden Morrow?

July 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM | Registered CommenterChris

Corvo's probably cheaper than Morrow, plus you won't need to disinfect Corvo as he hasn't played in Pittspuke... yet.

July 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

How long do you think the disinfect will be for McFarter...um McArthur? or is it more of lifelong stain when leaving the laffs?

July 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM | Registered CommenterChris

@Chris I'm trying to not think about that one...

July 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Perhaps your right on that one..............hopefully Murray has another trick up his sleeve to forget that signing.

July 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM | Registered CommenterChris

and to top off this asinine Corvo signing they traded Cannone to St.Louis for future considerations?!?!?!!!???

I don't even know who Cannone was but I am pissed about Corvo and only because they let Benoit go for the same amount of money
McFarter with Leaf stink all over him and now stupid Corvo who only ever saw fit to score vs. the Senators he didn't score against anyone else it seemed. Chris I loved that moniker for MacArthur by the way.
Murray says this piece of Leaf garbage could be on the 2nd line?!?! He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs and now he's a 2nd liner for the Sens--if that's the case how is this team better?

July 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

MacArthur may not be too bad. His stats from a couple of years ago weren't bad at all.

"He shall return!"

July 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

@tj I guess the 20pts in the regular season is what Murray is looking at.

July 9, 2013 at 6:09 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Why did Alfie consider the Sens a non contender? Just go to capgeek. The four lowest spending teams are the Sens, Panthers, Jets and Islanders. Directly above us are the Avs, Edm and Calgary. In that company, who would consider us serious about a cup run? Having $14.5m sitting unspent says a lot. We could have added Weiss and Filppula and said 'hey alfie we've still got 5m, we're f&^*kin serious!'

July 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM | Registered CommenterAtheist Aussie

Since we're using stats to make a point... The Sens were one of the top 5 bang for buck teams in the NHL last 2 years. In other words, the money they spend go far and they have a coaching staff to make sure it does.

July 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Great points SensAussie--there is no doubt that the owner of the Senators does have financial difficulties compared to other owners in professional sports and that's why they are 14M under the Cap. WayneScanlan was on a podcast this week and spoke at length about this and he's concerned if Melnyk will be able to hang onto this team in the long term. Or add some investors to help him. (Russell your a local business owner)
Dawg they did make the most bang for their buck but Alfredsson would be someone with insight into whether they would step up to add pieces to help with a Cup run so besides not meeting his agents demands--Alfredsson also knows that Detroit will do whatever it takes money wise or player wise to win.

Case in point the SanJose Sharks virtually sell out every home game and have Comcast Sports as their local TV guys and they are a Cap team.
They lose close to 15M every season and that's the virtual difference between what Melnyk spends and the owners of SJ spend. So I can't blame Melnyk for not wanting to lose 14-15M a year. Hopefully the NHL signs some huge Canadian based TV contracts soon so the Senators can get some more money to keep the players they have coming up like Ryan and Spezza in 2 years.

July 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Kovalchuk announces his retirement from the NHL. So when is the emergency show to talk about his?

July 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Homer, both the NewJersey Devils fans in the world called in and said not to bother

July 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Pretty sad when your star player would rather walk away from tens of millions of dollars and play in Russia than play in New Joysie.

July 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Dammit...I was hoping Kovalchuk would underperform and be overpaid for many many years in New Joysie.

July 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Condra re-signs 2yr @2.5 with Ottawa

July 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM | Registered CommenterChris

that's about $500,000 per goal for Condra. not bad work if you can get it.

July 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I predict he'll that by the end of next season Condra will be earning 100,000 per goal--take that to the bank!

July 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln