Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2013 Draft, buyouts, UFA frenzy

With the season over, we now have two weeks of insanity with the amateur draft, the amnesty buyout period between the draft and July 5th, and then the usual UFA signing frenzy.

There are lots of rumours swirling about trades involving Smith and Hemsky, and I for one am hoping there is no substance to them. Usually, the trades that are rumoured are the ones that don't happen while others appear without any previous talk. I'd like a top 6 winger, but not a $5M/year, underperforming, often-injured soon to be UFA.

Will the Senators trade up in the draft?
Move players out / in?
Sign UFA(s)?
Who will Murray's experiment / reclamation project be this year? (GL didn't work out last year, but was a worthwhile attempt)

June 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

WHO KNOWS?! OOOHHHH BABY! WHERE'S......MY SCOTCH!!!!

June 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Not surprised that the Oilers are after Smith. They tried to get him earlier in the year. I don't think Smith had a great season and Murray may be willing to consider offers. But can't see him going for a straight Hemsky for Smith Swap. And I don't think the Sens can afford to give up size and grit. They have a lot of smaller non physical guys. Now if Murray can find away to get Bickell.

June 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Bickell is going to cost some team a bloody fortune, and I think could supplant Clarkson as the most sought after UFA if he hits the market. I remember him well from his days as a 67, and his play in the post-season has been very out of character. It's been great to watch, but I have a lot of trouble believing he'll continue to play that way during the regular season.

June 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

seems to me Hemsky is a soft-ish player. if so, he's the wrong guy for the Sens.

June 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Flyers buy out Ilya Bryzgalov for $23 million. Someone has to lose their job, if they haven't already.

June 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

After watching TSN's mock draft I would like to see Ottawa draft Kerby Rychel. He's described as an honest, hard-working player with a gritty demeanor. He’s often the first player to stand up for a teammate and will drop the gloves at a moment’s notice to change the complexion of a game. Rychel has a scorer’s touch and nose for the net. He reached the 40-goal plateau for the second straight season in the OHL after posting 41 as a sophomore a year ago. His biggest downfall is his skating. The grit and scoring the Sens need.

June 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Touring around capgeek.com and nhlnumbers.com, I had a look at the Coyotes:

7 forwards signed (1 of whom is Rob Klinkhammer)
6 defencemen signed
0 goalies signed (two who played this past season are both UFA)

They've got a lot of work to do!

....and it's nice to see the Flyers ink a big cheque to Bryzgalov. The buyout tops the Yashin buyout by the Islanders, and I'll bet Ed Snyder was gritting his teeth as he wrote it. I hope he chokes on the broken teeth. How does Holmgren still have a job?

June 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Flyers buy out Ilya Bryzgalov for $23 million. Someone has to lose their job, if they haven't already.

But they are not going to look back, only forward...

"What's the sense of looking back? Today we look forward," Holmgren said. "I'm not going to look back. I admit it was a costly move, but we have to move forward. No sense looking back."

Sounds like "It never happened". You know, should Holmgren ever get fired by the Flyers, he'd be a perfect candidate to land an NHL front office job.

Who was the starter before Bryzgalov? That would be Bobrovsky, this season's Vezina trophy winner in Columbus. Good thing they are not looking back.

June 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Letang just turned down a 8 yr deal at 7 mln per. Seems he's heading to Toronto. That sure would mean the Sens need to improve, because the Leafs sure did. The only thing I hope is that the Leafs way overpay him, or that they have to move Phaneuf because of it.

About Letang though, who does he think he is (he's no Karlsson ;-) ). Shero offered maximum term and 7! mln. I don't know if he's looking for Suter money or something, but I'd say that's a reasonable deal. On the other hand, someone sure will be willing to pay more. Good luck to him.

June 28, 2013 at 4:34 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

tells you a lot about letang if he does go to the leafs. he'd give up playing with a team as good as the Pens and go to a crap team like toronto just to make more money. he's more about the cash than winning.

June 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Here's a thought on Letang:

- offer was 8 yr x $7M ($56M)
- he turns it down and rumour is that it's because he wants more money
- if he goes UFA the max contract length is 7 years under new CBA.
- this means a team has to offer more than $8M per season for him to make more money than what he turned down

I don't see this ending the way he is hoping for. ;)

June 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

unless he just wants out of pitts, for whatever reason.

June 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

"Confirmed" via Twitter:

Can confirm Letang's agent Kent Hughes countered the Penguins 8 year, $54 million offer, asking for 8 years, $62.5 million/ full NTC

AYKM? $7.8M cap hit, full NTC, 8 years......for a guy who's a defensive liability? He's getting traded, quickly.

June 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

These players are delusional. They want the BIG money and a full NTC. Oh and I want red jelly beans waiting for me in the hotel room on road trips.

Screw you!!!

You want a NTC, then that comes at a discounted price, $6M vs $8M. 8 years from now, you are not going to be worth $8M. Problem is that some GM are stupid enough to give these assclowns whatever they want.

Letang doesn't have a NTC on his current contract. Trade his ass to bottom feeder team, see his production/value drop and he won't even get what Pittsburgh is offering him when he becomes a UFA.

June 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

"Problem is that some GM are stupid enough to give these assclowns whatever they want."

and this is why we have a lock out every few years. and the owners blame the players for it.

June 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I like the idea of trading him to a bottom feeder to show how he's not worth the money he's demanding. That's brilliant! The perfect middle finger to a guy who's thinking that it's all about him and not about team play. Or, if someone does sign him to 7/8 years, they're screwed as the current CBA is 10 years so there's no chance of another amnesty buyout in the next CBA saving them from ruin.

Delicious!

June 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Problem is, as much as I hate to say it, Toronto is not a bottom feeder anymore... But hey, they probably would have to package Gardiner in a deal.

June 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I believe these are the picks the Sens currently have (subject to change due to trades, of course):

1st round (#17)
2nd round (no pick; this went to St Louis for Ben Bishop)
3rd round (#78)
4th round (#102 from Philly via TB, with Conacher for Bishop)
4th round (#108)
5th round (#138)
6th round (#161, from Dallas for Gonchar)
6th round (#168)
7th round (no pick; traded to Chicago for Rob Klinkhammer; pick now belongs to Calgary)

June 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

I have a feeling the Senators are going to trade some of their young prospects and maybe this #1 pick for a top player on offense. BobbyRyan maybe? Of course Philly and Toronto want him too. Well, Philly wants everybody.....

June 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

... and Toronto thinks they have a god given right to have everybody

June 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Oh HAI forums! It's been a while. I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting sick and tired of just picking up prospects and ok players. We need game changers, and we need rings in the room. Now with guys like Turris, ZBad and Pageau, we have lots of 2nd line centers. I definitely think that packaging up picks and prospects for someone top class is a necessity.

I hope that Alfie kind of comes in and says that if the team gets an elite player, he will take a lower pay, let's say $4M, but if they don't pass him the cash (after all he only got $1M last year), so $6M. My assumption is that Alfie doesn't resign until after the free agent frenzy depending on this. It's a little pushy, but I think it would also be fair to Alfie.

One thing that I think the team really needs in the pipe is a potential 1st line Center. Spezza's not getting any younger. To get that though, you need to draft that...and at 17, I don't think that happens. Not this year, but eventually we need that high pick.

June 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

How about Seguin. He's apparently in play now. What would the Bruins demand? Picks, cheap prospects and/or rookies?
First and third round pick + Prince?

June 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

nathan horton is available too.

June 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Seguin is another centre. Horton would be great, but I don't see Boston and Ottawa trading any more with the new conference. I think Peverley would be a smart pick up. He brings experience, a ring, is relatively cheap and can play 20 minutes a game.

June 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan