Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Year in Preview

Issue solved. Gonch to dallas for a 6th rounder.

Sorry Senior.

June 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Did I miss something? Why would Dallas trade for a guy they could have gone after as a free agent anyway?

June 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

gives them 1st shot at him.

June 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Fair enough. At least the Sens get something for him instead of him just walking away.

June 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Unlike most of you fine folks I was of the view that we should pay up for Gonch for a two year deal. We have too many role players and not enough guys who can get it done. However, the big numbers being speculated about in the media are pretty scary.

My hope is that it's half BS and half his mgr earning his cut and that Gonch will settle down and sign a nice 2-yr $8mil deal. We DO have lots of cap room and have more coming in 2014-15 when Milan's deal ends. Now, Eugene actually has to write the cheque...It's real money for him.

I think he's worth is because he's a UFA. That's what they cost. If you don't want to sign any UFAs you'll save a fortune but you probably won't win a Cup.

June 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Just heard the news that's Gonch is done. Oh well. Time to move forward.

June 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones
June 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Tweet from Garrioch:

Sergei Gonchar says in a text to the Sun he is pleased with the move to Dallas. I assume he signs in the next few days. #Sens

It'll be interesting to see if he does sign there, and for how much. Dallas needs blueline help, so we'll see how much they're willing to gamble on a 39 year old Russian being a good building block (or at least a mentor for younger players).

I think Murray is going to bring in a veteran blue line presence. It could be a puck mover, it could be a stay-at-home guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of our prospects/rookies is moved in the exchange. I would imagine there are teams looking to get rid of players to fit under the cap, so it's up to Bryan to be mercenary about who he takes and at what price. He's got a budget, but he's also got a low payroll and has to make it to the floor without signing a overpayment-to-make-the-minimum contract like we've seen in the past few years.

June 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

... or they can overpay Alfie.

June 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

so Gonch for 10M and 2 years, would anyone of wanted the Ottawa Organ-I-zation to do that?

June 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

check out bob cole at 1:42

I saw this on twitter this morning. I swear cole almost wakes up. what a true professional. no sens hate there.

June 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Driving down the 416 yesterday and see this large sing at Primo Trailers Sales - Alfie, one more year!

June 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

why doesn't the salary cap appear to ever stop Philadelphia?

June 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

why doesn't the salary cap appear to ever stop Philadelphia?

And yet it never seems to do them any good....

June 16, 2013 at 1:03 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Kardinal:

How pissed should we all be if Sean Monahan ends up in Buffalo at the #8 pick? my opinion that will royally suck having to face him 8 times a year for years and years to come. Unless Murray can move up I hope he ends up in Calgary

June 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

If Monahan ends up in Buffalo, I wouldn't be happy at all. He's a very good player and while I'd like him to succeed I'd rather he not do it at our expense. I still think Murray has something up his sleeve with regards to a trade to move up in the draft, to land a top six winger or bring in a veteran blueliner. There are going to be teams looking to dump some salary and Murray is savvy enough to make a good trade that benefits the Senators (see: Marc Methot for Nick Foligno last year) without giving up something really crucial to the team's success in the short and long term.

The lead up to the draft, the amnesty buyout period between the draft and July 5th, and the UFA free-for-all are going to be an interesting 10 days.

June 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

OV and Malkin will be biggest cap hits next season. But, would either be your #1 choice to build your team around?

June 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

no on both of those guys, I'd take Crosby then Stamkos before Malkin--I wouldn't even consider OV in the top 5 to take to build around.

listening to Don Cherry in Boston and he said someone in the Ottawa org. called him in 06 and asked who would u keep Redden or Chara and he said that he thought they were joking w/him, because it was obvious to everyone that Chara was the man to keep. If only they would have.......

June 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln