Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The good things about 2012-13

ok, it ended just the way we thought it would, so no whining let's remember the good things about this past season:

1) The pageau chant/emergence.
2) Andy's vezina worthy campaign, injury or not.
3) Pesky. a bunch of ahl'ers that never gave up.

please cont.

May 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

... a whole lot of pasty legged Sens fans will be putting their pants back on ... finally.

May 25, 2013 at 2:16 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

damn, that is such a good thing.....

May 25, 2013 at 4:17 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

There were so many injuries to key players and yet we still made the playoffs as the 7th seed and won a playoff round. This team is headed in the right direction!

May 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

The line slaughter against MTL. a landmark moment for this franchise.

May 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Sens Call-ups. Thanks to Kardinal, Canuck and Pan for stepping up and filling the void left with the retirement of the Sens Underground guys. Not sure if this site would have survived if you guys had not done your pod casts.

And a call out to Shredder for keeping this site up and running so we have a place to vent about refs and TV announcers, make fun of leafs and their fans and cheer on our team.

May 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

oh, and who could forget the laffs pulling the most colossal choke of all time!?

May 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

--Karlsson AND Spezza both returning after they were "done for the season"

--The Stache, aka The Walrus

--the Extra Stache who sat right behind The Stache

May 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

Don't forget that Cowen was "done for the season" too along with Karl and Spezza

This story below is telling about MacLean as a coach: The stuff below is from Yahoo's Nicholas Cotsonika

Conacher had been scratched from Game 2 against Montreal. He had made the wrong play in Game 4, committing a turnover that led to the Canadiens’ second goal, and had been benched for a stretch. He had no points in the playoffs, and facing a 2-1 deficit in the final moments of regulation, the Senators were pulling their goalie.
MacLean called Conacher’s name, anyway, and told him to go to the net.
Murray was puzzled in the press box. Conacher? Why Conacher? He’s only 5-foot-8, 180 pounds. Why not a 6-foot-1, 212-pound veteran instead?
“I’m thinking up in the box, ‘Chris Neil’s a pretty big body to put out there in comparison,’ ” Murray said. “But obviously he had a feel.”
MacLean felt Conacher had the speed they needed. MacLean felt Conacher had some redeeming to do.
“It got me so excited,” Conacher said. “I wanted to get that goal so bad.”

Sure enough, Conacher got to the net, and the puck bounced to him, and he scored the tying goal with 23 seconds to go.
“He gave me a little smile and said, ‘You owed us that one,’ ” Conacher said. “That’s how it was. I don’t think I’ve had a coach that’s ever done that – if I’ve had a bad game, to put me out there like that. That obviously was, I guess, the right move.”

It's exciting moving forward and thanks to the Callups and Shredder for all their work to keep this site up and working and the podcasts.

May 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Amen. I am SO happy that the Callups picked this thing up. Great job, Kardinal, Canuck, and Pan. I'm a big fan.

I, for one, plan to continue contributing with game summaries and such, and I encourage other Groundhogs to do the same.

May 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

I thought of two other things:

1) Having not one, not two, but THREE quality goalies to choose from. A nice change from Ottawa's usual situation.

2) The acquisition of Cory Conacher. Yep, I'll miss Ben Bishop, but I liked what I saw from Conacher, all in all. A good trade.

May 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

Definitely the call-ups, loved listening to it at my workplace when I could. The whole season was pretty amazing on its own, especially with how well they did considering the injuries early-on and ESPECIALLY because everyone tried so hard, and I think MacLean deserves a lot of credit for that one.

May 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

The Sens Call-ups for sure. I looked forward to the new episodes every week.

Also:

More Marc Methot, less goaltender interference penalties.

May 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM | Registered Commenterdata_sprite12

Daniel Alfredsson leading the team in playoff scoring.

May 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

just in general, how well they did. I said last year that I thought the Sens would be about the same or even take a small step back this year. But even with the injuries, they did better. that's an astonishing accomplishment and bodes well for the future.

May 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Bryan Murray not panicking after all the injuries and having confidence and trust in the players he had signed and drafted. This could have all turned out differently if he had started trading players, etc. and gave into all the pressure.

Also, as good as this and last year have been, knowing the best is yet to come. The core of young guys that will lead this team in future years is emerging. Karlsson is a natural born leader. Pageau is showing a lot of poise and maturity. Condra and Greening are solidifying their roles. Silfverberg and Zibanejad are seeing what it takes and pushing through it.

Now, all Bryan Murray will probably do is keep refining and tweaking. There will be 3-4 more guys coming up from the AHL and pushing for spots. But he will also have to find a UFA that is the right fight for this team, just like he did with Methot. Again, his best move may be to stay pat and put his faith in the young core, but knowing Murray, you never know what he may pull out of the hat...

May 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg