Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Round 2 Game 4 - Dirty Birds @ Pesky Sens

This is it, the critical game 4. Tied 2-2 or down 3-1.

Not sure who the refs are yet, but the NHL has them working in pairs, So we can probably deduce who it will be.

So far this is who has reffed what games.

Wes McCauley, Marc Joannette (Ott-Pit Game 1)
Stephen Walkom, Eric Furlatt (SJ-LA Game 1)
Dan O'Rourke, Kevin Pollock (Det-Chi Game 1)
Chris Rooney, Brad Meier (NY-Bos Game 1)

Brad Watson, Tom Kowal (SJ-LA Game 2)
Dan O'Halloran, Chris Lee (Ott-Pit Game 2)
Brad Meier, Chris Rooney (Det-Chi Game 2)
Chris Lee, Dan O'Halloran (NY-Bos Game 2)

Wes McCauley, Marc Joannette (SJ-LA Game 3)
Eric Furlatt, Stephen Walkom (Ott-Pit Game 3)
Tom Kowal, Brad Watson (Det-Chi Game 3)
Dan O'Rourke, Kevin Pollock (NY-Bos Game 3)

Brad Meier, Chris Rooney (SJ-LA Game 4)

Good news, Tim Peel is not reffing, bad news is Dan O'Rourke is and we we are bound to have him before round 2 is done.
Good news, O'Rourke reffed last night in NY, bad news is they all suck.

There are 6 ref pairings and we've seen 3 of them.
Dan O'Rourke, Kevin Pollock, Brad Meier and Chris Rooney all worked last night, so it's doubtful they will be working tonight. That leaves the Tom Kowal, Brad Watson pairing as probable refs for tonight's game. They weren't free of controversy in their game 3 of the Det-Chi series.

May 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I TJ them all.

May 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

how about this? it was revealed today that Stephen Walkom, ref from game 3, used to coach Mario lemieux's daughter and sydney Crosby's sister's hockey team. no conflict of interest there.

link

May 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Pierre would tell you they're all professionals and that it shouldn't matter, but still it influences their impartiality. Consciously or unconsciously.
I know they're supposed to be the best the NHL has to offer, but these kind of ties should make the NHL exclude them from Pitt-games, IMO. It's not as if nothing depends on those games. We're not even talking about proceeding to the next round or not. Think about how much money is involved in an extra home game for a team. If I were Melnyk...

May 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

It will be hard for them to win tonight. But if they manage to, I have high hopes for them. They have the momentum returning to P'burgh and have shown last game wasn't a fluke. And as all the pundits tell you: you're not in trouble till you lose at home, so they wouldn't be in trouble yet.

May 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

whether you're a sens fan or not, or what you think of the refs, no one can deny this just doesn't look good. any responsible league would avoid this situation just to avoid any appearance of impropriety.

May 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Is the Tin Foil Hat Committee in full session here as well?

So what if Walcom knows Mario, or coaches his daughter, or lives in Pitts? How does that make him suck at reffing?

We hear all the time how small the hockey community is and that everyone knows each other. Are the Murrays in conflict of interest when they make hockey deals together?

May 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

@Dawg
I see what you mean, but this situation is different than making a deal. You should think of the Refs as judges (in a court or a jury), what would/could happen if one of the judges has clear ties with one of the parties...? Just saying. Let me stress that I'm not saying that Walcom did actually show bias and show favour for Pittsburgh. But the fact he's close with two Pens-families might influence him more than even he likes to admit.

BTW
Just watching the pre-game interview with Alfie. He had a nugget: They were asking if he felt for Stone to come in at this stage. Alfie replied that if anything, he felt for Conacher that he had to come out. Great leadership there, those guys must love him even more than we do.

May 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

The problem with the playoffs is that the reffing has just been all around inconsistent, every single game. Every game has been called differently, sometimes they call something, sometimes they just let it slip. It's impossible to know what is and what is not a penalty in these games. Either call it all the same or don't call anything and penalize the team that has the better powerplay. It's been silly.

May 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

@Spezzial & Labru

The inconsistency is the real issue here, you nailed it SD. They probably already do this, but all refs need to be gathered and explained exactly what is a go, and no-go in the playoffs. We've seen it all just in the Ottawa series - chincy calls, no calls, phantom calls, calls to the War Room. It's all over the place.

I got in a big argument in the RSU Facebook group about this article on Walcom. Wow, I never thought I'd actually talk to people who wear a full tin foil body suit.

May 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I use mylar to make mine, not tinfoil, as it's more comfortable when I'm in my Sens snuggie.

Having said that, like our current Parliamentary "troubles", appearances count for more than actual facts in situations like this. It LOOKS BAD for a ref to have been coaching a team owner's kid because one can't help but think that a relationship will create bias because, as humans, we know this to be true within ourselves. Tossing out "well, they are professionals" means nothing as we know within ourselves we probably wouldn't be able to be professional and unbiased if we were on the ice and in zebra stripes during a TOR-OTT game.

Conflict of interest rules are for when an individual/group/organization is involved in several different situations/interests, where one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation for an act in another. It doesn't *have* to do it, but if it *could*, it is a conflict of interest and one of the parties should remove themselves from that situation to get rid of the potential for problems.

May 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

whether you're a sens fan or not, or what you think of the refs, no one can deny this just doesn't look good. any responsible league would avoid this situation just to avoid any appearance of impropriety.

perfect wording Russell... "any responsible league". The NHL has proven time and time again that it not responsible, nor does it care about optics.

This is a league that has owned one of it's teams for about 4 years now. Reduced the suspension of a player on that team. Allowed a game winning goal in the 1999 Stanley Cup playoffs that was disallowed all season long. When a ref makes a blatant mistake, the NHL either doesn't say a word about it or it releases a statement saying that they fully support the refs decision.

... and the list goes on...

Unfortunately in the NHL's eyes there term "Conflict of interest" is open to interpretation just like every rule in their book.

May 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

The refs were brutal in NYC last nite. Here in SJ they called off a goal for LA that basically won the game for the Sharks. The one Friggin team that doesn't get bad calls IMO is Pittspuke. can anyone figure that out as to why?
By the way I was thrilled they sucked in SanJose

May 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Don't fret about that brutal call on Gonch, the refs will call that on OPrick and others when they do that too

May 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

YES!!!!!!

May 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

Take That Pukes!!!!

May 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

9MM bullet

May 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

holy crap! where did 9MM find that speed!!??

May 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

LOL!!! Letang was crying that he wanted another penalty on Ottawa

May 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Damit. Just went for ice cream. Great timing.

May 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

haven't seen him skate like that since last year.

May 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Methot crunched Letang and Letang didn't like it

May 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Damit. Just went for ice cream. Great timing.

you fat bastard!

May 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

the guys who started that breakout made great passes

May 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln