Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Game 1 - Sens @ Habs

SNES!

Hope Gryba is back for next game. TSN panel broke down the hit very nicely - not a suspendable hit - but we'll see what Brenda thinks.

ANDERSON ... he's not human. He's not even Swedish. Oh yeah, and we got him for Elliot :))

May 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I just had a look at tsn.ca

Habs fans keep saying, "Anderson can't keep it going....can't keep making so many saves...he's bound to come down...."

Sheesh. Talk about whistling in the graveyard!

May 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

maybe, maybe not. but the sens can play a hell of a lot better than they did tonight, too. I would hope that Andy doesn't have to play that good again. Also, i don;'t think that was EK65's best game, despite the goal. he has a lot more to show them.

May 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

andy lost a tooth on that shot that hit him in mask tonight...and just kept going. #bawlsofabeast

May 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Mini episode 23.3 was just recorded. Look for it when Shredder publishes it for us

May 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM | Registered CommenterCanuck

1. Obviously Crabs fans haven't watched Andy all year - he's been clutch.
2. They won't be getting 5min PPs + 2min of 5-on-3's ... I hope So Andy won't have to stand on his head... that much
3. Instead of worrying about the Sens they should worry about their goalie problems.

May 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Yeah, if we can keep those penalties down, that would be ideal. Really though, most of the game Montreal was all over us. It looked pretty sloppy all around on both sides. (Lots of chances that the Habs just whiffed on) The Gryba hit looked really awful at first so I can't blame the refs for making the call they did, it happened so fast. I think Eller got hurt badly because his head hit his visor then hit the ice. There was a LOT of blood, that's a broken nose for sure. Tomorrow will be interesting... Will listen to the podcast at work whooo!

May 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Eric Gryba will have a disciplinary meeting with Shana-ban and crew today at noon.

Absolutely no need for this ... complete BS.

May 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

"The Canadiens reported Eller suffered a concussion with loss of consciousness as well as facial fractures and loss of teeth"

Consistent with smashing his face on the ice IMO... I still believe the hit was clean with no head contact. Call me biased if you want, but that's the way I saw it.

May 3, 2013 at 5:34 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Why are the pundits flogging this horse to death - clean hit, bad result. Moving on...

Obviously you don't like to see any of these injuries but I doubt that much time was spent discussing Matt Cooke's butchering of Karlsson.

May 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Interesting conversation this morning: no discussion of Subban's feet leaving the ice during his hit on Neil. Furthermore, if Subban's hit had resulted in Neil being on the ice and bleeding, would Habs fans be claiming it was a hit that required a suspension? Methinks not.

May 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

For me, I looked at precedence. At the time of the hit, it looked absolutely brutal, but when broken down by TSN from the different angles I could see that Gryba hits him in the chest, Eller is leaning downward, and the head snaps back a bit and he falls face first. It was an open ice hit on a really dangerous pass.

TSN compared it to the hit on Landeskog that also did not result in suspension where he was clearly hit in the head that also resulted in concussion.

I was at home watching w/two Jets fans and a Habs fan when it happened. We were all shocked but the two Jets fans immediately said it wasn't a dirty hit.

I'm just glad we still ended up winning despite of it.

May 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

What really got me last night was Garry Galley going off on Gryba IMMEDIATELY saying it was a blatant/clear elbow to the head, Gryba should be gone, it was targeting the head, etc.

Then he shut up for about 1.5 periods.

In situations like this the refs need the benefit of replay review! Or at least, the war room in TO should review it like they do with goals.

What really grinds my gears this morning is Mendes saying the refs did the right thing by throwing Gryba out and giving him a penalty based on the fact that Eller bled profusely and Montreal fans wanted Sens blood.

ARE YOU F-N KIDDING ME?!??!

Since when do the refs based on what the crowd wants? If that's the case Mtl should play 50min a night on the PP because their guys tend to flop around on the ice like an Italian soccer player.

May 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

"It's typical! Montreal typical!"

May 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

So apparently Prust is going around saying he hopes Gryba doesn't get suspended... to quote The Great Cornholio, "Are you threatening me?"

Wouldn't be surprised after this if Kassian is in the line up tonight, although both Neil and Smith can handle it, and they play better.

Oh... and he also called MacLean a "fat bug-eyed walrus"... I seriously hope he gets leveled, legally and cleanly...

May 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

as God is my witness, I just saw this; scruffy, dirty guy hitch hiking on 417, going to MTL, TODAY, ....wait for it.....AND HE'S PLAYING A FREAKIN' BANJO!!!!!!! I dare you to pick him up. #squeallikeapig!!! #mondieu!!!!

nothing about this is exaggerated.

May 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

had no problem with the subban on neil hit. i'm sure chris was ok with it too. but, you know neil took that number and will remember it. subban will problem regret that one. should have let sleeping dogs lie.

May 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

although I don;t think he should be, I won;t be a bit surprised if Gryba is suspended a game. he's not a star player and it would be an easy way to placate habs gans and those screaming about head shots. as much about appearances/optics as anything.

May 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Russell, was Chara suspended for the hit on Paciorety? No. Gryba's was cleaner than Chara.

May 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

point taken. but Chara is a star. i'm just not going to be surprised if he is though.

May 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I think Gryba caught Eller on the chin with is shoulder. Not intentional like Ference's elbow on Grabo, but it had a worse outcome.
For Eller to faceplant on the ice the way he did, he had to be knocked out cold on the initial hit.

Hard to say if it'll be a suspension or not. My gut says it will be. You don't get a call from Shanny to discuss this week's episode of Survivor. As Russell pointed out, he's not a star player.

Not sure how bad Eller's infury is, but I heard that he suffered some fractures in his face. Reminds me of Kevin Stevens in Pittsburgh some years back. he faceplanted on the ice and they had to pull the skin off his face, fix his facial bone structure with metal plates and and put the skin back. a gruesome injury you don't wish anyone.

May 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

If Gryba is out, Wiercoch is most likely in... am I the only one who thinks the Habs would be better off with Gryba on the ice?

May 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Oh... and he also called MacLean a "fat bug-eyed walrus"... I seriously hope he gets leveled, legally and cleanly...

Wow, this series has suddenly become a huge media circus. I'm glad McLean isn't apologizing for Gryba but sticking up for him. He's not going to care what the Montreal coach says, everyone's just been waiting for soundbytes to attach themselves to since Torts has been pretty mild this year so far.

May 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

2 games for gryba.

told ya.

May 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Stupidest decision ever. I want to see what Shanafail's video explanation is.

May 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter