Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The late season slump

saw an interesting post on Twitter today about the sens slumping of late. it does seem this started right around the time Daugs and Bishop were traded, Conacher, Pageau and Kassian were brought in, and O'brien was benched.

could all be coincidental but it does make you wonder if the chemistry was upset. They haven't been their pesky selves since that time. I still believe its more a youth issue, young guys feeling the pressure, exhaustion from playing so many tough, tight games, but its good debate material.

April 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

you might even throw in the returns of 9MM, Cowen and Andy. Has the team lost its rallying cause?

April 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I did wonder about that a little... maybe the other guys felt like they could finally slack with the return of some of their big guns?

Maybe while they were pending return, they tried their absolute hardest and now have let up a bit.

However - their schedule is intense compared to say, the Rangers who play New Jersey twice, Buffalo and Florida. Washington was the same, except they play Ottawa and Winnipeg the next couple of games which will make or break all those teams. Ottawa has played Pittsburgh and they'll play Boston last. Last night however was a disgrace, I actually switched to the Jets game after it was 2-0 =/

April 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Not trying to make excuses, but I think it has been a generally discombobulated year, with a long stretch of uncertainty during the lockout followed by a compressed schedule and a HELL of a lot of bad luck.

My $0.02 worth: I think that, when Spezza, Karlsson, and Anderson all went down to injury, the rest of the team rallied, but could only keep up that pace for so long. It just feels like this team has nothing left in the tank. After losing 7 of their last 10 and leaving 14 badly-needed points on the table, the numbers sure do reflect that.

God, these last two games were back-breakers, weren't they? 85 shots and just two goals. Between that and the plague of injuries, everything just seems to be going everyone else's way this season, and almost never Ottawa's way.

April 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM | Registered CommenterBoingy

i can't forget those two losses to FLA and TB. those are so huge right now.

April 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I will always wonder how many of those 85 shots would have been taken by Karlsson or Spezza and would have ended up being goals...

April 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

I will always wonder how many of those 85 shots would have been taken by Karlsson or Spezza and would have ended up being goals...

I think the same thing.. it's not for lack of trying, but maybe just lack of experience

April 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

... so angry still about last night's game.

April 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

- Daugavins was always benched
- The "book on Bishop" was out around that time (5-hole); remember the Leafs game?
- O'Brien's TOI had been steadily decreasing

My view is the lineup changes have nothing to do with the fact they are losing. It's HOW they are playing that's the root of it, as well as, the intensity of the competition. Every night they are either playing desperate playoff teams, or teams with nothing to lose, full of rookies and vets playing for contracts.

Also, Mac has stopped juggling the lines as much. They used to change from game to game. They just need to play the way they did against Washington with a little more grit.

April 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

1) Anderson has had his worst two games of the season.

2) We're young. There's a lot of ice time going to Greening, Pageau, Condra, Smith, etc. These guys are not looking very top 9 forward these days. Even Turris is struggling out there. What I wouldn't give to see Spezza out there having a three point night. I love the way Alfie-Karlsson-Spezza-Michalek interacted last season. So much talent working together.

3) The level of play in the league has jumped as it always does near the playoffs. In this compressed season it just came a bit later.

April 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

they were on a good streak until the Leafs kicked their ass on Easter weekend the Sens followed that up with several losses then they won 4 in a row and once again the Leafs beat them and now the Sens are spiraling down. Since the Wash win the Sens have controlled offensive zone time and played much better on D overall--right now they simply can't score.
I personally don't think the trades and cuts have much to do with them not scoring

April 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln