Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > NHL Awards

So the debates have begun.

Ovechkin or Crosby for MVP

Caps' coach Adam Oates' biased opinion thinks Ovie should get the nod. Here's a quote from Oates.

“Obviously Sidney Crosby is another candidate, for sure. He had such a scoring lead, but I think you’ve got to factor in the fact he’s missed a lot of games.”

Now, shouldn't you also have to factor in that Ovie was completely invisible and a non factor for more games that Crosby misses due to an injury? Basically Oates thinks Ovie deserves the MVP based on his performance in the past dozen games, 25% of the season.

Anderson has played in 19 games so far. With 6 games to go, he'll probably play in 23-24 games, so 1/2 the season. He leads the league in GAA and Save %. In those 19 games, he only had a couple bad games. Yet, he probably won't get considered for the Vezina because he missed too many games.

I guess that it's better to lay a goose egg for 18 games and stand on your head for 18 others to be considered for the Vezina over missing a dozen games due to an injury and standing on your head for a couple dozen games.

April 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I'll throw John Tavares in the circle for the Hart. It's about "who is most important to their team", and while there is no question that Ovi and Crosby have been valuable to their respective teams, they both have a better supporting cast than Tavares and he's got that team fighting for a playoff spot.

I don't think CA will get consideration for the Vezina due to his missing so many games, and that's a shame because he's played so well.

There has been a lot of talk about Therrien being a shoe in for the Jack Adams because of how well the Habs are doing, but he's not had the plethora of injuries to deal with that Paul MacLean has. The Paularus has a team in the playoffs that's been without it's two biggest stars for the last 2/3 of the season, as well as other key injuries. That should had it to him, period.

April 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Ovechkin not even in the running as far as I'm concerned. He was a no show for the last half of the season. There are a number of players that have been more important to their team than Ovechkin has been to his.

April 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Agreed, JT should get some strong consideration.

Pittsburgh is 8-2 in their last 10 and they did it without Crosby. So it's not like they survive without him.

Sorry Ovie, playing at the top of your game for 12 games doesn't make you an MVP. That only makes you a Russian.

On Ottawa, who do you consider our MVP? Just about everyone stepped up and contributed in their own way. Our success despite all the injuries wasn't attributed to a single player, it was truly a team effort. I like that more than having to reply on a single player to make things happen.

April 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

In Ottawa, who do you consider our MVP?

He's 19' feet tall, but plays as three different guys: Anderson, Bishop, Lehner. Collectively, our goalies have been our MVP all season. How many 1 goal games have we won or lost in OT/SO? That's why we are where we are in the standings.

April 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Jake Gardiner!

April 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Paulrus, hands down. Therien has done a good job but MTL's success is as much a result of Markov's return and Gauthier's leaving.

JT is a pretty good call for MVP. Toews?

April 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Toews or Crosby

April 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

tj, not so sure about Crosby. From the NHL website "The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team"

Best MVP to his team. Since Crosby has been injured, Pittsburgh hasn't missed a beat. Is Crosby the best player in the NHL? Yes, hard to argue that one. Similar to Anderson, who probably won't win the Vezina because of number of games played, Crosby plays on a stacked team that can keep on winning without him in the lineup. Both victims of circumstance.

Now take Tavares out of the Islanders lineup and I doubt that they are in a playoff position.

April 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I have to agree with TJ. Sure, Ovechkin is a scoring machine right now, vaulting his team into the playoffs, but where was he for the entire first part? I watched him play in one of those games and he was listless and barely put in any effort. Sidney played almost the entire season and played hard- are they still winning without him? Yes... but watching him play with the team was pretty amazing. If Ovechkin had played the entire season as hard as he's playing now iI'd say he was a shoe-in, and I happen to like Ovie a lot more than "Sid the Kid". (I can finally start to appreciate him this year since the media gave up on him)

Also Crosby has 56 points despite missing the last two weeks with a broken jaw.

(I should also mention Tavares is a fantastic player, watching him play in person and overseas when he was w/Spezza was unbelieveable, I can't wait to see him in the Olympics)

April 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

If MacLean doesn't win the Jack Adams I'm gonna go ballistic.

April 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

Come on, we know they'll just give it to Randy Carlyle.

As for Senator's MVP I would agree with the goalies but also keeping the team from falling apart on itself I would also credit Alfie, who apparently has been a huge mentor to the kiddies coming up to fill in some big roles.

April 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

EK65's coming back. give him the norris right now!

April 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell