Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2013 PlayOff watch

Although I'm terrified the Sens might find ways to drop out of the PlayOffs, let's stay optimistic and assume we'll manage to make the POs.

Who'd we wanna meet?

The way play is going for the Sens these days, it wouldn't matter too much, because a sweep is a very real possibility. Be it at the hands of the Pens, Habs, Bruins or Caps or (God forgive me for even thinking this) them stinking Leafs. Let's hope the Sens manage to find the #Pesky again in time. Tell me what you think.

-Looking at our abysmal record against the B's, we'd rather not meet them. Especially if we don't have home ice advantage (a notion I believe everyone should let go already). Not just this year but almost going back to the departure of big-Z. Not to look too much at records because they don't tell the whole story, most of them were 1 goal games after all. But seriously I can't imagine a larger underdog role for the Sens than against the B's.
-The high flying Pens? They're totally loaded and very good, I wouldn't mind playing them though. Not that I count on an upset, but their playing style seems to suit that of the Sens and would definitely make for some exciting hockey. If that goon of a Cook would manage to break a jaw or catch a suspension right before the series, that would be perfect.
-The Habs? I don't know much about them, but I know they're doing very well. Lots of offense from the D, just as the Paulrus likes it. Should be an exciting match up. A new rivalry? They're close after all.
-The stinking ones? Ugh, that would be ugly. Our own barn taken over. If we lose (a real possibility this year), that would be bad for Sens-fans for years to come. I don't like the Leafs playing style and we already lost from a Randy Carlisle team once, with a better team. Let's pray this doesn't happen. Sure on paper, this match up should be the best for the Sens, but I don't like it... at all! It would be a very unlikely match-up in the first round however (the B's are 6pts up on the Leafs and have a game in hand and 10 pts up on the Sens, the Habs even 1pt more, so in order for this 4-5 match up, very strange things have to happen).
-The Caps? Well, what do you know; just as the play offs come around they get hot. Even Ovechkin. This seams to be a likely match up at this moment (if the Sens decide not to throw games anymore ;-) ), I don't think I mind it that much. Yeah, we can have 'em. What think you :-) ?

April 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Good post by Varada over at WelcomeToYourKarlssonYears

April 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I want us to stay exactly where we are in 6th. I hope the Jets can get their act together and win their division but regardless I'd rather play anyone in the Southeast.

April 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

The Southeast is by far the weakest division so it really is our best bet. Only the Capitals have been surging pretty hard lately, they'll come out blasting in the playoffs. (I don't think the Jets can get their act together to top them but who knows)

April 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

WHY THE SENS NO WORK HAHDAAAAHHHHH!!!????

April 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

lmfao!! Also why does everyone want to play the jets in the first round? IS IT BECAUSE THEY'RE TERRIBLE!? (they really are... lol)

April 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Partly because they're my two favourite teams (don't worry, the Sens will always be #1 for me), partly because they suck, partly because I was hoping (at the beginning of the year) that they'd make the playoffs and Toronto wouldn't.

April 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

Sens number to make the playoffs is 4. So a combination of a Sens win and a Jets regulation time loss and we clinch a playoff spot. We'd have 54 points and Jets maximum possible points would be 53. If the Jets win their three reaming games, then we need to win 2 of our 4 remaining games.

We face Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia and Boston.

Winnipeg faces Buffalo, Washington and closes out with Montreal on Thursday.

April 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

LET'S GO CAPS!!! Regulation win for the Caps means Ottawa has to win one of Philly, Caps, Boston.... Surely, they can at least do that!!

God, this playoff race reminds me of 2008 when they clinched by another team losing ....

April 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

No - we need the Senators to beat Washington and the Jets to beat Washington, then both teams can make it in =/

April 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

The Capitals are leading the Jets 2-0 after the first period. I don't like to see the Sens back into the playoffs but it's better than them missing out entirely.

April 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Jets lose, Isles lose in OT :-( and the Rangers lose to Florida of all teams. the three teams around them all lose and Philly is kicking ass tonite it's still way up in the air. Philly is next up... the Sens want that #6 or #7 seed, no. #8 gets them Pitts A team.

"God, this playoff race reminds me of 2008 when they clinched by another team losing ...."
then the Sens were swept in 4 by Pittsburgh and not one of those games was really close and that was the last we would see of Heatley also unless I'm misremembering

April 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

@ian_mendes:
Scenario that is still possible -- and absolutely frightening: Leafs win the division and face the Sens in the 1st round in 2-7 matchup.

:O

April 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM | Registered CommenterSensGab

"Scenario that is still possible -- and absolutely frightening: Leafs win the division and face the Sens in the 1st round in 2-7 matchup."

Version B: Leafs 2nd vs. Sens 7th... Karlsson and Spezza return, Andy shuts the door and the Sens destroy the blue jokes in complete reversal of the last decade. Sens fans salute Laffs Nation with the twitter hashtag Welcome to Your Karlsson Years

I know, I know... the sky is falling right now because they are struggling but no one gave this team a chance vs. the Rangers last year and they could have closed out the series in Game 6 if it wasn't for a couple of zebras playing for the Rangers.

April 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I hope the Senators can hang on to 6th. I mean, Washington is kind of a beast in the playoffs but I like our chances way better than vs. Pittsburgh or vs. Boston.

I saw that Montreal will play Toronto in the first round of the playoffs. I bet CBC will spend the entire day on the matchup. God I hope Montreal wins.

April 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Islanders lost to Buffalo. That's one step closer to not playing Pitts in the playoffs.

April 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Islanders lost to Buffalo. That's one step closer to not playing Pitts in the playoffs.

Yeah, but they picked up a point, so if we lose both our games this weekend there's still a chance for us to drop to 8th.

April 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM | Registered CommenterSensGab

Ottawa can still finish the season in 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th place.

Top 4 teams in the east will remain in the top 4. Montreal and Boston can still swap places (2nd and 4th).
So there are a few scenarios on how this could go. Not sure if I got everything correct, but I guess we'll find out by 10pm tonight weather or not Sunday's game against Boston will have any meaning.

1st Pittsburgh (47GP, 70PTS) Locked-in
2nd Boston (46GP, 61PTS)
3rd Washington (47GP, 55PTS) Locked-in
4th Montreal (47GP, 61PTS)

5th Toronto (47GP, 57PTS)
6th NY Islanders (48GP, 55PTS)
7th Ottawa (46GP, 54PTS)
8th NY Rangers (47GP, 54PTS)

Ottawa has the tie breaker over the Islanders
Rangers has the tie breaker over the Sens
Toronto has the tie breaker over Ottawa
Montreal has the tie breaker over Boston

Ottawa 5th place finish
- Toronto loses to Montreal in regulation
- Ottawa wins against Flyers and Bruins
- Even if Boston wins against the Caps, they end up tied with Habs, but Habs win tie breaker
- result, Ottawa vs Boston

Ottawa 6th place finish
- Rangers win against NJ and Ottawa gets 3 points in two remaining games
- OR Rangers single point against NJ and Ottawa gets two points in two remaining games
- OR Rangers loss to NJ and Ottawa gets a single point in two remaining games
- Must not combine two Sens wins with a leaf loss in regulation. That would put us in 5th against Boston.
- result, Ottawa vs Washington

Ottawa 7th place finish
- Rangers win against NJ, and Ottawa win or single point in two remaining games
- result, Ottawa vs Boston or Montreal

Ottawa 8th place finish
- Ottawa loses two remaining games
- result, Ottawa vs Pittsburgh

Rangers play at 3pm today. Boston vs Caps at 7pm. Habs and Leafs, also at 7pm

April 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM | Registered CommenterHomer