Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Trade Center 2013

Well the Penguins are making a pre-emptive strike with a couple trades.

Brenden Morrow and a 3rd from Dallas for prospect d-man Joe Morrow and a 5th
They also picked up Doug Murray from SJ 2nd round picks in 2013 and 2014.

So they picked up some scoring and defensive depth and if they were a strong contender before, they're a really strong contender now.

On the Sens front, no trade, but they signed collegiate forward Buddy Robinson to a three-year entry-level contract.

From tsn.ca

A native of Bellmawr, N.J., Robinson played in 38 games this past season, registering eight goals and eight assists with 48 penalty minutes. In two years with the Lakers, he recorded 26 points (13 goals, 13 assists) with 85 penalty minutes over 77 games.

Prior to attending Lake Superior State, the six-foot-five, 236-pound winger spent parts of two seasons with the Hamilton Red Wings of the Tier II Ontario Junior Hockey League. He registered 61 points (26 goals, 35 assists) and 101 penalty minutes over 81 games.

Robinson played the final 19 games of the 2010-11 season with the CCHL's Nepean Raiders, recording 24 points (five goals, 19 assists) and 20 penalty minutes.

He didn't put up big numbers in college, but could have some potential with the right development in Bingo. And with a name like Buddy, how can you not like him? He also played in out backyard with the Nepean Raiders, perhaps Murray has had his eye on him for a while now.

March 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

let the discussion begin.

with the Pens loading up, you know the bruins will too. Those are going to be two really tough teams to beat. So if you're the Sens, you look like you'll make the play-offs, but how deep can you realistically expect to go? So, if you're Murray, do you trade Gonch, maybe make so other moves, looking at the future? or do you make some moves and try to do your best this year? Or, just ride it out with what you have?

If it were me, I think I'd have to make the moves. Losing Gonch would really hurt right now but with all the injuries, even with how well they have done, i'd have to think that this isn't the year. too many cards stacked against us. Set it up for next year.

March 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I hope Murray stays pat. The times of trading for rentals and albatross contracts should be over by now.

Lehner still needs a season or two of development, thus making Bishop NOT expendable.

Murray should sign Bishop for one more year and re-evaluate the goalies at that point.

Gonch is not going to fetch much on the open market, compared to how much he's needed in this lineup right now. Come summer time, the Sens may not want to re-sign him, even he does want to come back, given how many talented D are on the roster and in the farm. But the Sens will definitely need him for the final playoffs push. And you never know in the playoffs...

March 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

guys in the radio were speculating that the way Gonch is playing now, you could get a late 1st rounder for him. Not sure that's true but if you could....

March 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

It's s tough one. Gonch is playing his best hockey in a Sens uniform so his value is the highest it'll ever be.

Will he or will the Sens want him back in Ottawa next year and for how much? If so, which Gonch would we get. 2013 Gonch or 2010 Gonch?

You also don't want to mess with with what is probably the best chemistry this team has ever had by shipping someone out or bringing someone in that does't buy into the team's never give up attitude. Even in the 2007 cup run, the chemistry and comradery on the team was never this good. You don't hear of any negativity within the team.

March 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Alexander Semin is now off the trade market after signing a 5 year $35M deal with Carolina. What a bummer...

March 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I say ride with what you have and see how the playoffs go, especially with your best player out for the season--EK65

I watch Douglas Murray every night they play and trust me he is without a doubt even much slower than Latendresse--how Doug Wilson got 2 Second round picks is beyond me but I'm not a brilliant GM like Ray Shero.

They have to keep Gonchar, hell he's playing 25 minutes a nite and playing well (somehow)

March 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Gonch is a UFA - the value of a rental won't be that high.

Keep him; like a true vet, he's only picking up steam going into the playoffs.

After tonight's game against the Devils we can see that Bishop is also very valuable to this team. And, I think he's ahead of Lehner in terms of development. Lehner is only 21 after all!! If the Angry One can just sit tight and keep working hard everything will fall into place 2-3 years from now, with him and Bishop sharing the net.

March 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I think Marty Havlat will be bought out by the Sharks this off season, does anyone want Marty back in Ottawa so he can fill up that all important player on the injured list slot?

March 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Love Marty but he's too injury prone and his best days are behind him.

I'm looking at Mike Hoffman as the Havlat - he's got the speed and hands.

March 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

K-Dawg is going to be put on waivers at noon, according to his agent Jay Grossman.

His contract was awarded by arbitration and the team couldn't walk away from it as it was less than $1M. If this was only about getting a roster spot, there are 2-way contracts that could have been sent down (Dziurzynski, Benoit, Wiercioch, Benoit, Gryba, Silfverberg, Zibanejad).

I doubt he'll make it to Bingo.

March 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Dizzy sent down to Bingo. Looks like they actually may be clearing up some room on the roster.

March 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Ian Mendes threw it out there that Hoffman may be on his way up to big club. that makes sense. He'd bring offence.

March 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

and sure enough, Hoffman recalled. apparently, K Daug didn't like being a scratch.

March 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Good for Daugie. I hope he gets picked up by another team that can give him more minutes. Heart and soul guy.

March 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Drats!!! now watch K-Dawg go on to be the next Bobby Butler after the Sens let him go?!?

March 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Who let the Dawg out !?

March 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Homer, I believe that's your 2nd warning.

March 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

am I the only one who thinks Rutherford of Carolina is as insane as Russell said the NYRanger GM was when he signed Redden years ago?

Alastair ‏@Alastair68
@DamoSpin Semin signs $35 million deal and responds with -3 first game after #wownoonesawthathappening
Retweeted by Damien Cox

March 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

maybe Rutherford thinks the 2 buyouts that the CBA lets u have is for players you even sign this year?

March 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Semin is Floataturd 2.0. that is just the dumbest signing. how do these men get these high-powered jobs when they are this mentally challenged? #fullretard.

March 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

when I first saw the contract terms at 35M, I thought it was for 7 years at 5M per season---thought 5M per season is kinda high for that production and the term was way too long. But 7MILLION for 8 goals is #fullretard.

March 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

K-Dawg claimed by the Bruins. You know, the team that was upset about the ringette spinarama move in a shootout.

March 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Crap. had to be the bruins.

interestingly, that means 25 other teams passed on him. i really thought there would be a lot of teams that would have a use for him.

March 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Homer, I believe that's your 2nd warning.

Too much cheese and not enough bacon?

March 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM | Registered CommenterHomer