Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Some stats

Stats are (almost) always nice. So here are a few observations from looking at the Sens' stats on NHL.com at the 29 game mark.

-Only 7 players played all 29 games up to this point (Turris, Smith, Silfverberg, Philips, Condra, Neil, Methot).

-Only 10 players with 10pts or more (Turris, Alfie, Gonch, Smith, Greening, Wiercioch, Silfverberg, Karlsson, ZBad, Milaaan)

-K-daug is a -8 in 18 played games. I thought he played not too bad, but this number proves otherwise (for as far as numbers can prove such a thing). It seems the Sens results are better without him. There are some other regulars who are a minus: Methot (-2), O'Brien (-2), Smith (-4), Gryba (-4), Regin (-4). I didn't expect that. There are some players who didn't play much who did quite well: Spezza (+3 in 5 gms), Borocop (+1 in 6 gms), Latendresse (+4 in 10 gms), Karlsson (+6 in 14 gms, still tied for lead with Silfverberg).

-Did Karlsson really play 14 games, it seemed way less.

-Who'd have thought that Wierchioch (29) and Alfie (25) would complete the top 5 of our penalty minute leaders.

-Z-Bad is tied for first in PP goals, it's only 3 however, so I don't know how representative that is.

-Karlsson and Silfverberg are the only players with a shortie. I remember the days the Sens lead the league in that department. But having the #2 PK without the SHG's is fine with me. We're without Spezza and Karlsson after all.

-Karlsson is still 4th in SOG, trailing Turris and Alfie only by 4 and 3. Having played only half the games. Man he was on pace for a ridiculous season. That's what makes it hurt so much, we all saw clearly he improved so much on his Norris-trophy season.

-That 'Ooh, ah'-kid shoots the puck a lot. 21% more than the number 2 on the list (Turris). The shooting percentage could be higher though 7.4% is 38% lower than Turris (11.9%).

-Jimbo should shoot the puck more, his percentage is a very respectable 14.3%!

-Sure, other players have to play more minutes because of the absence of Karlsson. Errr... Karlsson still leads TOI with 27:03, Gonchar picking up a lot of those minutes has only 24:38 (which is still ~10% lower).

-Kassian only has 5:17 TOI/g which is approx. half of the next lowest regular: K-Dawg with 11:09. Even Stone had 10:00 and Grant 8:29 (in his 5 gms). I don't particularly like this trend, because other players have to pick up those minutes, where they otherwise wouldn't have.

-Karlsson played quite long shifts (no surprise there), even with his 2.5 mins more playing time, he skated 1.5 shifts less than Gonch.

-Jimbo (46.4), ZBad (45.4) and Regin (44.2) should work on their face-offs. Only Alfie and Condra have lower percentages, but they aren't Centremen.

That's about it for me. Let's hear your observations!

March 19, 2013 at 4:11 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Here are some stats for Ottawa as a team:

-Tied for the lead in OT/SO points. They are losses nonetheless. Of all the teams they are tied with, the Sens have the highest points total.

-P% is .621 (6th in the league), I'd have never believed you if you predicted that, even with Spezza and Karlsson in the lineup. Chicago has a ridiculous .879!

-25th in Goals for/g (2.38). From all the teams with lower G/G, only San Jose is (just) in a play-off spot. Other teams include illustrious names like Panthers, Predators and BlueJackets (but also the BlueShirts, who'd have thunk).

-1st in GA/G (2.00) less than Chicago (2.03). Shout out to all the goalies!

-10th in the league in 5-on-5 Goal-differential (no surprise there).

-11th PP in the league, which is a surprise because I think it still stinks without Karlsson (and Spezza). Come to think of it, the numbers might buoy on the first 14 games.

-2nd PK in the league, nice work.

-1st in S/G, and still I'd like 'em to shoot more!

-29th in SA/G, that's the Bingo mentality coming trough. There's no indication of the quality of those shots, but combined with the lowest GA/G it must result in the highest save% in the league. That could indicate a low average quality of de shots on goal. As long as the goalies can keep up, I'll take it.

-Chicago is a ridiculous .933 when scoring first, but then again, they're a .879 in total, so they know how to win even when not scoring first. I don't know what to think of this stat, it indicates if you can keep the lead I guess. I'd be more interested in the opposite, winning percentage when scored upon first, that would be the #pesky stat for you. Ottawa is a .727 by the way, wich is good for 8th in the league.

-Winnipeg must not lead often after the first, because if they do, they win each and every one of them.

-As a team we're just above 50% (50.1%) in face-off wins, which I didn't expect, but since both Turris and Smith are above 50% it's plausible.

March 19, 2013 at 4:41 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Not Sens related:

-Ron Francis who is #4 in all time scoring with 1798 pts, is a -10 for his career.
-Ray Bourque, #11 with 1579 is a +528, higher than Gretzky who almost had twice as many points.
-Gretzky had a shooting percentage of almost 18% over his whole career.

March 19, 2013 at 4:55 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Wow labru, that's a lot of stats. did you catch the asian flu or something?

March 19, 2013 at 5:41 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

@Homer
I study at a University of Technology, does that count? Not that maths are my strong suit however. I did catch a hint of some kind of flu though, not ill, but just not feeling too well, therefore I was sitting at home studying the wrong materials ;-)

March 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I looked at the face offs again. Apart from the fact they killed us in the last Boston game, we just have to get better at them. Our top 5 face-off men aren't even playing (regularly)

Stone(100%)
Dziurzynsky (75%)
Da Costa (60.9%)
Spezza (57.1%)
Grant (54.8%)

Smith is the only one respectable above 50%: 51.7%
Silfverberg and Dog-ovens are even (exactly 50%)
The rest is (well) below 50%

This is somewhat worrisome, I guess!

March 25, 2013 at 5:04 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Some more stats about shooting the puck:

Some Sens are doing fine, others could probably manage to shoot a bit more. Since looking at the total shots doesn't tell you much with the widely varying amount of games played. I decided to have a look per GP.

From the sheet I concluded that 2+ SOG/GP is respectable for a top 6 F or a top 1 offensive D.

SOG/GP
Karlsson - 4.5
Silfverberg - 2.8
Spezza - 2.4
Alfie - 2.3
Latendresse - 2.3
Turris - 2.2
ZBad - 2.1
Neil - 1.9
Gonch - 1.9 (He could probably shoot a bit more, but all in all seems to be doing just fine)
Michalek - 1.9 (He also should have shot more, but that's a discussion for another season).
Gryba - 1.8
Wiercioch - 1.8
Smith - 1.8 (Since he plays a top 6 role now, should shoot a bit more IMO)
Methot - 1.1

The amount of shifts and shift lengths aren't all the same though. Let's take a look who makes the most of his time on the ice:

MinutesOnIce/SOG (It's decimal, but since it's only for comparison...)
Silfverberg - 5.7 mins between SOG's (Seems to be making the most of his time on the ice, could work a bit on his S% (±8%)).
Karlsson - 6.0 mins (He shoots more per shift, but his shifts are almost 25% longer than anybody else on the ice)
ZBad - 6.2 mins
Latendresse - 6.5 mins
I'm starting to see why I like the Ooh-Ah | ZBad | Latendresse line quite a bit.
DaCosta - 7.1
Dziurzynski - 7.3
Neil - 7.4
Spezza - 8.0 mins (We know he's a passer, but his underrated shot could be used more)
Condra - 8.1 (And that's not even counting all the shots that go wide or high, nice work!)
Regin - 8.2
Alfie - 8.2
Wiercioch - 8.5
Turris - 8.7 (First/Second line center..., shoot it more!)
Smith - 8.9 mins between shots (Top 6 role, shoot it more!)
Michalek - 9.8 (Shooting is his game, do it more. Next season that is.)
Gonchar - 11.6 (As said, he could get a few more shots off. Especially considering both his goals were game winners!).
Methot - 21.2 mins between shots (I know it's not his role, but he could try...?)

Outlier:
Borowiecki - 77.9 mins between shots (1 shot in all his time up here, I don't know what his stats in Bingo are. But then again it's not really his job either).

March 25, 2013 at 6:45 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru