Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > So where do we go from here.

I guess that saying the last week or two has forced all of us to rethink our expectations for this season is stating the obvious. There have been many opinions expressed in different threads the forums on what the Sens should do. Some believe that Murray should use some of the teams assets to try and hang on and make the playoffs. Others say just go with the guys we have now and see what happens. Others are all for calling the tanks out of retirement. Since all of us here are experts, have your say. I'm sure Brian will take of suggestions into consideration.

February 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

i say we sell off all our Sens gear and go on a 6 month bacon binge.

February 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

i say we sell off all our Sens gear and go on a 6 month bacon binge.

Quitter!

...and it should be a six month ghost pepper burrito binge. (hmmm...I wonder if I could sell that as a weight loss program)

I think we're going to see a lot of Bingo players through the rest of the season, and that assets that are expiring (Gonchar, Bishop, Latendresse, Regin, Lundin, Benoit) will be traded for picks, even later ones.

Untouchables: Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie
Unlikely to be traded: Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Lehner, Neil, Turris, Smith
Everyone else is at least possibly in play (NTCs notwithstanding).

February 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Untouchables: Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie, Andy

Fixed...

February 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Methot also has to be considered untouchable. Especially with Gonchar leaving.

February 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Coach MacLean drills into team "pay off comes from hard work"....

...Zibanejad a healthy scratch

If that doesn't send a message, I don't know what does.

February 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Yeah I agree that they'll be on the trading side at the deadline, probably Gonchar first then others afterwards.

February 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

It's safe to say that the last couple of weeks have changed the way the team and the fans are now looking at this season. After the Karlsson injury most of thought that was pretty much it for the season and then when Anderson went down it was that's all she wrote folks and who should we trade to prepare for next season. Now the Sens are taking a run at first place in their division. Murray probably now finds himself in the position of having gone from a seller to a buyer. What do you think. Stick with the line up we have now and see how far they can go or should Murray be looking to pick up a couple of guys to improve our chances of making it to the playoffs?

February 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

If they're making a run at the playoffs? stick with the line up. these guys have character and peskiness. why mess with that?
Rangers landed Rick Nash, what did that do for them?

I figure Lehner will make a few starts to see what he can do at the NHL level as Ottawa needs to figure out what to do with their goaltending next season. If Ottawa does consider trading Bishop at the trade deadline, the offer would have to be fairly high to make it worth while. If not, then wait until summer to make a move.

Sometimes the best trade you can make is no trade. Unless you want to trade Lundin for someone who can help out in Bingo.

February 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Agree with Homer. Completely disagree with anyone wanted trade a pile of players. I say the team is untouchable except pt for a couple of guys notably Gonchar. I could see a Bishop deal happening for a good return. His value is pretty high right now. There is some sort of rule that makes him a RFA this summer if he starts a certain number of games. If he gets those starts and becomes an RFA we gold unto him until this summer/training camp/beginning next season and the deal should be sweeter. Could be dangerous signing him to a new contract before the trade though.

As for most guys, they won't be going anywhere. One of the reasons this team has banged out 5 in a row is because these guys have been playing together for a long time in the A. Keeping a group together and developing within is IMO the best ways of making a perennial contender. Look at the powerhouse Sens teams of the past. The top guys were drafted and developed at home. The. Team would be familiar with each other, chemistry would be great, the locker room would be great.

And realistically, aside from 1 or 2 skilled players what does this team need to trade for? The hard working call-ups are winning games. More importantly they are developing their games. This team, next year with Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, Andy and Cowen back in the lineup is a contender. Grab a couple big free agents this summer (Corey Perry welcome to Ottawa) and this team contends for the next 7 or 8 years.

February 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM | Registered CommenterCuckelson

everyone keeps assuming Bishop is the trade bait but if he keeps playing like this, maybe its Lebnetter instead?

as amazing and fun as this run has been, i have to think the bubble is going to burst sooner or later. you can live on your goaltending only for so long. then again, MTL won two cups with crappy teams and P.Roy doing all the work so...WHO KNOWS!!??

February 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Daily Hypothetical here: ... if ... IF ... the Senators roster contends for s strong play-off spot this year and IF they manage to stay the course and go deep in the playoffs ...

... if a Cup was won by the 2013 Ottawa Senators ... Karlsson's name would likely not be eligible to be enscribed upon it. Too few games played, and no play off games played ... that seems just so WRONG to me.

February 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

after all those good points by everyone watch Murray now trade for O'Reilly from Colorado for some guys we don't want him to trade

February 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

well, then again, if he can pull off another foligno/meth deal, have at 'er!

February 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

" if a Cup was won by the 2013 Ottawa Senators ... Karlsson's name would likely not be eligible"
But Alfie's name would be so that makes it OK.

February 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

I had just barely even heard of Methot and now he's on the top pairing on a good team--Murray makes way more good trades and moves than he does bad ones.

February 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

"Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances. "

So that's 1/2 a season. This year that number would be 24 games. Karlsson played 14 games.

I think that the NHL would make an exception in a case like this. He did after all play some 30 minutes a game and was on his way to win another Norris trophy. It's not like he's a Gilroy something like that.

February 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Boston did it for Marc Savard ... his name is on the Cup.

February 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

While it appears that most of us feel the best thing to do is leave the team as is and see how far they can go, Melnyk may have a say in that. I forget how much they said the Sens made last season by making it to the first round of the playoffs but I bet if Ottawa is close to a playoff spot at the trade dead line, he may push Murray to bring someone in to help get them in.

February 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

in tonite's thrilling Montreal v. Toronto game who or what the hell do we pull for?

February 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

"in tonite's thrilling Montreal v. Toronto game who or what the hell do we pull for?"

on ice zombie attack!!!!

February 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

were going to get a regulation win anyway in this battle of the douches, the best we can hope for I guess is no 3 point games when they play. unless you pull for injuries when they play each other........

February 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Daren Millard ‏@darenmillard
James van Riemsdyk, Tyler Bozak & Phil Kessel were all minus-4 tonight vs. Canadiens. Season-low for all three players.

this always makes me smile when that happens to Leafs

February 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

with all this talk various sports analysts about the possibility of Alfie getting traded end even Boston supposedly being interested I have to ask this to other groundhogs ans especially some former podcasts hosts.

Hypetheticly speaking of course... at the trade deadline, if Ottawa's chances of making the playoffs was very low and Boston offered Brad Marchand for Alfie, would you make the trade?

March 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

The Golden Gawd in exchange for The Little Ball Of Hate?!? Get real ... that's a mismatched deal of epic porportions.

Beside - Brad's a key driver in their offence. Boston is NOT getting rid of Marchand.

... stop trolling Shredder, Homer ... ;0)

March 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck