Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Spezza to have back surgery.

Apparently there will be a press conference at 11:00 to announce that Jason Spezza will have back surgery. Not good news.

January 31, 2013 at 10:45 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Definitely not good news. Regin is no Spezza. Maybe Z-Bad will get promoted to the top line. He gets more results than Regin.

January 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I think all our thoughts are with Systine at this difficult time.

January 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

waaaaaaahhhhhhh

January 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

No estimate, but pundits suggest in the 6-8 week range at best.

January 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM | Registered CommenterCanuck

Turris is centering the new top line with Alfie and Milo.

January 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Imagine if this was a couple of seasons ago....who would we have to play centre? It's bad news, to be sure, but we have Turris / Smith / O'Brien / Regin / Zibanejad to work with, and even Da Costa down in Bingo, so at least we have options to consider rather than having to hit the panic button and getting fleeced in a trade for a centre.

January 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

rather than having to hit the panic button and getting fleeced in a trade for a centre.

Oh you mean like the leafs

January 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

well this blows

but Kardinal's right they do have depth now and that's a good thing--and leave it to Homer to make everyone laugh in the face of the Sens best offensive player being lost for the season.
well unless your a stupid Leaf fan....

They have a million injuries it seems between Ottawa and Bingo after listening to Murray's press conference

January 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Regin didn't have a great game the other night, and Smith is not knocking my socks off either. I'd like to see O'Brien and Z-bad get some nights in the top 6. O'Brien looks like a first round draft pick out there. Oh wait, he is one!

January 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

"I think all our thoughts are with Systine at this difficult time."

that's pretty funny too, considering how much this sucks.

January 31, 2013 at 8:45 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I'm sorry for you Michael... (he had Spezza in his fantasy team 'The Bacon Exploders')
when I heard the news I noticed my first thought wasn't even the Sens season, but my fantasy league. I wasn't sure anymore if I had him, because I had him in the years before. I hope you'll be able to get a fine replacement.

I'm sorry for the B-Sens, as this undoubtedly means Z-Bad will stay a while longer with the big boys, especially with the way he's been playing.

And finally I'm sorry for the Sens and us fans, we'll miss another prolonged stretch in Spezza's prime. I have a lot of confidence in our rookies, but this surely is a blow. I hope however Murray won't do anything stupid, being faced with this. I'd rather give up the season, not tank, but accept being out of the play offs; than giving up a prospect or pick and being stuck with a mediocre replacement/'addition at C' for years to come.

February 1, 2013 at 4:26 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

"O'Brien looks like a first round draft pick out there. Oh wait, he is one!"

LOL. Late bloomer. I'm happy for him, for those who had him as dark horse in their fantasy league and for Murray (as it's the only high profile Muckler inheritance that seems to work out. Looking back on it it's no wonder Murray traded away picks 5 -7 of that draft (2007), it hasn't come back to haunt him either. Greening was Muckler's 7th rounder from 2005 though and Regin a 4th rounder from 2004. Other than that Ottawa's scouting and development was very poor, it's though as they didn't take developing a team via prospects seriously. Luckily that changed and it's rather exiting for fans. I say spend a little more on scouting and the farm team, it helped save millions in the last few years (since Ottawa didn't have to spend to the cap).)

BTW: I discovered a nice new function of DuckDuckGo, my favourite Google replacement. Listing draft picks

February 1, 2013 at 4:47 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I'm curious how this is going to affect the PP. Having both Karlsson and Spezza with their passing abilities on the same powerplay was a real plus. Them finding Turris, Alfie and Gonchar for the one timer has proven to be effective. Time for others to step up, I guess.

February 1, 2013 at 5:45 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Just looking at the Sens draft picks from Labru's link.

We drafted Brian Lee twice?

I know that we drafted Mathieu Chouinard twice, be even he only shows up once on the list. That was stupid, 1st round in 1998 and 2nd round in 2000 when he went back in to the draft because we couldn't agree to a contract. He played a grand total of 2 minutes in the NHL with LA.

February 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Labru, not only the PP, but faceoffs. He had taken 119 faceoffs in the games games he played and won 57% of them.
Our next faceoff guy is Turris with 123 in 7 games winning 49%.
Next is Smith with 94 taken at 56%

February 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

With the frustating Mr. Spezza it's always been a case of "ya don't know what ya got until it's gone." He ain't clutch but his stats don't lie.

On the other hand it's the opportunity of a lifetime for the remaining centermen. Z-Bad could be a top 6 centre. What is he, 19? Regin, O'Brien could crack the top 6 as regulars. What a chance. They've both fallen off the fast track long ago. Finally, Turris could have his reputation completely repaired by being THE man. Our best forward, our top line center.

Even Silfverberg might buy some more top 6 time out of this. We need to see who can step up and save the day for us.

February 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I remember waaaaaayyyy back, Crazy Ivan said that tall guys have a tendency to have back problems and that Spezza's might be a career long issue for him. he was bang on about that one.

February 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell