Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Around the league

With Redden already signed with the Blues for $800,000, Gomez signed on with the Sharks for $700,000.

Both players signing for western teams kind of makes sense. Montreal and NY didn't have to buy them out early, as it didn't them save them any cap space or money. The NHL and NHLPA agreed to allow it and it was done as a favor to the players. There was probably a "gentleman's agreement" that they sign with a western team since they wont play against their old team unless they meet in the Finals.

In other news. Leafs still suck.

January 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Steve Simmons had a chat with fans and this was one of the questions someone asked

"Steve, do you think the media (radio mostly) does a disservice to the Leafs by their negativity? I have never heard nor read so much negative coverage about a home team in my life. Is it too much to ask for some media to be pro Leafs. Loved your Kostka article BTW."

What can you say that hasn't already been said....

January 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

TSN panel says PK Subban will be traded what does anyone think the stinkin Habs can get for him?

January 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Well it obvious isn't it? To Toronto for Mike Komisarek, Tim Connolly, and Darcy Tucker's bought out contract.

January 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Leafs killed the Pens 5-2 tonight. I think the NHL will have to start cutting off pieces from the cup and start mailing them to the Leafs with each one of their epic wins.

In other news, the Sens have caught the eye of the Great One:
[Gretzky] continues to watch a lot of NHL games, with the Ottawa Senators catching his eye in the first week of the season with the depth and talent they possess for a young team.

"They're strong on the puck, solid defensively," said Gretzky of the 2-0-0 Senators. "It could be a fun year for people in Ottawa."

January 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I think PK could be valuable, but considering the options vs an offer sheet, it may not be much. They would need a D man back and either a prospect or pick. I'm thinking Tampa. Thing is, if the new GM trades him now, he'll crucify himself against the fans.

January 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

"They're strong on the puck, solid defensively," said Gretzky of the 2-0-0 Senators. "It could be a fun year for people in Ottawa."

... I think I see Wayne's ulterior motive behind this one ...

"... oh Jesus, they want me to go to Toronto?!? How can I screw this up so that they'll never let me into their nutty organization??? I KNOW!!! I'll publicly compliment the Senators! They'll crucify me in Toronto for that one ...!"

January 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

3 top RFAs still unsigned: Jamie Benn (DAL), Ryan O'Reilly (COL, injured and returning from KHL), and PK Subban (MTL).

B-Sen Eric Gryba named to AHL All-Star game to replace Andre Benoit who's currently with the the O-Sens.

I don't want PK Subban in Ottawa; we've got EK65 and have Wiercioch/Ceci/Claesson in the system, and I don't like his cocky attitude when in an interview (I don't think it would be good, long term, "in the room"). Let the Montreal circus keep him.

January 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

One week in Florida and I saw Brian Lee play more shifts than he did his last year in Ottawa.

January 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

booo my flyers are 0-3 and LA is 0-2. I'm not having a very good start to the season, this sucks...

January 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Columbus had a goal disallowed yesterday because of goaltender interference by Figs.

Columbus lost 3-2 to Chicago.

Can't say I miss those calls

January 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/maple-leafs-patient-comes-potentially-trading-phil-kessel-153102240.html
The names and faces change but the stupid goes on. Apparently the lafs are rumored to be ready to trade Kessel. I like to make fun of him because he wears a blue and white jersey but really I can't say I dislike the guy. In fact I kind of feel sorry for him. He didn't ask to be trade to toronto. He is one of the few players on the team that has any talent but as the article mentions, he is not a leader. Look leaf guys, Phil Kessel is not the problem. You have no goaltender. Your defense sucks. You cannot brawl your way to the Stanley Cup. (Colton Orr back in the NHL? Really. Even Burke gave up on him) Maybe they can trade him for a goalie but then who is going to score. If your going to trade someone, might I suggest a certain no. 3 on defense.

January 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Bruins trade Tim Thomas to NYI, and get a 2nd round pick in return: story

AYKM? Seriously?? The Islanders make this trade to keep the team from going below the cap floor, so Thomas gets paid even if he's "taking the year off" and Boston gets a 2nd round pick for giving away a couple of million dollars that they no longer have to pay? Okay, now I'm convinced that some team will actually trade assets to Vancouver for the privilege of taking on Luongo's albatross of a contract.

I think Slats is secretly working for the other "New York" team now.4

(update) Oh, the pick only counts if Thomas actually reports, and as of now he's not going to. In other words, the Islanders pick up the cap hit for nothing. That's better.

February 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

So how many players are the Islanders paying to not play now?
And I'm glad to see that the teams are not trying to circumvent the new agreement.

February 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

If the Islanders need some help, they could pay my mortgage if they want to.

February 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

The Islanders also activated Visnovsky today, so they didn't have to make the Thomas deal to stay above the cap. If they did it so they can move something out, it could get interesting. Imagine that: NYI being interesting. Wow.

February 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

So how do they get the word to Thomas that he has been traded if he hiding in his underground bunker to escape from all those left wing commie pinkos? Has he anyway of communicating with reality?

February 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

I predict that In Cam Ward's next game he will allow in 4 goals on 9 shots and get pulled. Shortly after tj will have an aneurism.

February 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Winnipeg blew a lead against the Leafs to lose late in the 3rd period. Good thing I cheer for Ottawa or I'd be forced to wear a paper bag over my head at work today.

Rick DiPietro: But you can't acquire Thomas... We're only allowed one goalie who doesn't play! Oh.... oh I see. *hangs head and walks out*

February 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

It seems the current price for a serviceable NHL defenseman is a 5th round pick. Anaheim picked up Lovejoy from Pittsburgh, and LA picked up Ellerby from Florida for this price. I guess we should be impressed that Murray got a 7th for something as useless as Floatalev.

February 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

so that's how u spell aneurism. And yes I will if that turd does that

February 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Spot the idiot, Daytona Beach

she was my waitress though so I couldn't tell her why i wanted this pic. she might have spit in my food.

February 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

ex-sens stuff:

the old brian elliot is back. his numbers are at the bottom of the league.

redden got in a fight tonight. didn't do so well but at least he was getting a NHL beating and not an AHL one.

February 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell
February 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Now the rest of the world knows was we have known for years.

February 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior