Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > SCU contest # 2

Post your favorite Sens moment for your chance to win a Sens jersey of your size and style of choice. I promise it won't be a dud this time.

January 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

October 8, 1992. GAME 1 of the modern Senators and it was a 5-3 win over the Canadians at the Civic Center.

Our 1st goal was scored by Neil Brady. Our captain was Laurie Boschman and our goalie was Peter Sidorkiewicz.

Sure it took another 22 games for another win and only had 10 wins in total. But without that 1st night we wouldn't have had other great Sens moments.

January 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Brawl vs. Buffalo

It kind of cemented the identity of that team going into the playoffs that year, that they won't be pushovers.
I think it brought the team closer together, and I think it helped against Buffalo later that year in the Conference Final.

January 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I moved to Ottawa and became a Sens fan last year. I started watching some early games and became hooked with the late game victories that came from the cardiac kids. Then the all star game stocked with senators just was awesome. Finally for my Habs and Leafs friends being able to ride the Sens to the play offs made the entire last year a great year to hop on the wagon.

Can't wait for Saturday and this season :)

January 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM | Registered CommenterDalecon

Favourite Sens moment; tough one.

How about; The first time I stepped onto the ice at Scotiabank Place and launched one into the net from the blue line in front of thousands of fans.

P.S. If Pan makes a crack about rubber chickens, please disregard him.

January 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM | Registered CommenterMarko

My favourite Sens moment was on this day, exactly ten years ago. It was the first Sens game I ever went to and I was actually a Toronto fan at that time (I was a young and dumb 10 year old and didn't know much about hockey). It was Minor Hockey Night or something like that, so they were giving out free Martin Havlat bobbleheads to all the kids (he got the game winning goal and an assist that game, was one of the three stars, and instantly became my hero).

It was a game against Washington that we won 5-2. The atmosphere was amazing and the fans were so friendly. One guy we were sitting next to asked me if we were going to win. I meekly answered "I guess so" and after that he really got me pumped about the game. It's probably thanks to him that I became a true Sens fan after that. So thank you random fan, you saved me from years of embarrassment and disappointment as a Leafs fan.

January 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM | Registered CommenterChuckProuse

James, I'm not mailing a jersey to Kenya! Facebook me, it's been a long time!

January 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

My favourite moment is not necessarily something that happened on the ice, but the result of what happened on the ice. It was on Saturday May 19, 2007 and I just moved back to Ottawa, my now husband and I were finishing up a yard sale, watched the game in which the Senators clinched their spot into the 2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What I love best about that moment was the atmosphere on the streets and in the pub afterwards, how walking down the street in my Chris Kelly t-shirt I was getting honked at, people were cheering in the streets along Bank Street. My husband and I drove around town before deciding to go to dinner. It was purely awesome and a moment I will never forget, the camaraderie and excitement amongst us Sens fans. It is one of the reasons why I love sport, and one of the reasons why I chose to make a career in sport. There is nothing like it! I do hope that we all get to experience a moment like that agauibn

January 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

For my favourite moment, I nominate: the entire 2011-2012 season.

Think about it. Nothing was expected of Ottawa last season. The Hockey News said the Sens would finish last. Hell, even most of us fans thought it was going to be a lost year, full of nothing but "rebuilding".

And what do we get instead? A scrappy team that refuses to quit. An aging captain that gets cheap-shotted into a concussion, and bounces back to score his 400th goal. The trade for Turris. The trade for Bishop. A Norris Trophy-winning defenceman. A feisty coach (with a great 'stache!) who takes on a d**khead referee (and the entire League watches as the Sens pay the price). And, what no one expected, a playoff run where Ottawa takes one of the best teams in the League to seven games. Some "rebuilding year"!

If I have to pick one highlight: Matt Carkner jumping Brian Boyle in Game 2 of the playoffs. I'm not a big fan of fighting. And if I'm going to be completely honest, I didn't have a bit problem with Carks' suspension, either (he DID punch a guy when he was down, and even though I enjoyed it, you understand why they have to discourage that). But I wasn't sorry that that happened. No way. Notice how no one--and I mean NO ONE--says that the Sens are "soft" or "pushovers" any more? That's why. (I'm going to miss Carks.)

But if I can, I nominate the entire 2011-12 season.

January 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

"James, I'm not mailing a jersey to Kenya! Facebook me, it's been a long time!"

suck it up, Princess. I mailed a gift pack to Japan. I think i sent Paul an old pair of underwear, or something.

January 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

"suck it up, Princess. I mailed a gift pack to Japan. I think i sent Paul an old pair of underwear, or something."

Russell, you have a donate button, we don't ;)

January 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

My favourite moment (so far I might add) is last year when the Senators came to Winnipeg and were trying to clinch their spot and Winnipeg still thought they had a chance at one. It was super cold out, furious wind. I went to stand by the hotel where the bus takes the team to the arena and kept getting pushed back by the security guards. I had a sign in my hand that said, "Jason please take a photo with me I brought a box to stand on." I saw him get into a car w/Daughavins and rushed over with my sign. And Spezza, the class act that he is, waved me over. I didn't want to bother him too much so I just got him to sign my jersey.

Then later that night, in a sea of blue being maybe 1 of 5 people in the whole arena with Sens gear, got to watch Spezza come out of the box and give Turris that amazing goal after dancing around the entire team. It doesn't get much better than that for me. It's taken me 15 years to get back into an NHL arena and it's been worth every dime I've spent.

January 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

"got to watch Spezza come out of the box " TWSS

Hope you're going to today's game. I'd love to get you on the show. I think the views of someone from Winnipeg would be great

January 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Me and my brother miraculously got tickets so we'll be there. I'm going to try and take a bunch of pics that I can post later tonight. I'd love to be on the show sometime if you'd listen to my ramblings, it is quite a hockey world over here.

GO SENS GO

January 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

"suck it up, Princess. I mailed a gift pack to Japan. I think i sent Paul an old pair of underwear, or something."

"Russell, you have a donate button, we don't ;)"

Yeah, but that all went for website costs. I paid all the pool costs and prizes out of my pocket. So, cash in your empties and cough it up.

January 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Good point raised above. how will the Sens get treated by the refs this year? Is all forgiven and their point made or will they still be sticking it to us? Was a coach of the year nomination enough to garner some respect for the stache?

January 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

We'll see - I mentioned that in one of our 8 summer shows. (How did we do 8???) It may still be difficult considering the divers that are on this team like Neil and Karlsson....stupid refs...

I don't see how Torts can rip apart the refs and they actually go up to talk to him, while a more milder Lorax gets ignored.

January 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan