Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2013 Schedule

Really, first game is in the afternoon? WTF, way to get the people to come back and watch.... MORONS.

January 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM | Registered CommenterSystine

It's so that CBC can run a triple header. Luckily it's against the jets which should be and easier game.

January 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

F them. Who watches afternoon games... have a life to live.

January 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM | Registered CommenterSystine

and god forbid should they put the leaf game at any other time than 7:00. Even when they play out west they start the game earlier so the game is at 7:00 eastern. Stupid thing is that they can start the leaf game at 2am, it will still be a sell out and have a large TV audience.

January 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Across the pond, every game is at an ungodly time. But then there's the advantage of no media spoiling the result to you, so you can watch the game at a time of your own choosing. That is if you can catch a torrent-feed.

With the lost games, shortened schedule, fans only slowly coming back, it's hard to think the schedule isn't built around making as much money as possible. Even more than with regular scheduling.

I guess there's still more money to be made by thinking out of the 'old-media-box'. iTunes has been experimenting with live streaming some events. How about a world wide deal with them? Live games for $4, every game on-demand: $3, one dollar extra for play-off games. All games are available, no black-outs or nothing and easy one-click payments.
There are some crinkles that need to be ironed out, though. Apple doesn't want advertisements in its iTunes stuff, so the fee minus Apple's cut should be competitive with ad revenue. The problem is paying more than $4 for the games will result in very few downloads. One solution could be Apple revamping its iAd platform for video, so the quality of the ads is high enough for Apple's standards. I could handle a few high quality ads in a game I've payed for. If Apple and the NHL were able to put such a deal in place, Apple would sell quite a lot extra Apple TV's I guess. There are other problems, cable companies won't be happy with that kind of deal. I recall a few of those owning MLSE and a few others being heavily involved with other franchises.
It will be a dream for the next few year's I'm afraid. It's just sad to know it's technically possible, and that it's clearly the future, but some companies are milking the old situation to the last drop. Only in their own interest. Until then I'll use BitTorrent and they won't get a dollar of me. I won't get an ultra expensive cable package that let's me hopefully see 3 or 4 Sens games and a whole lot of other stuff I'm not interested in.

January 14, 2013 at 5:13 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I guess everyone in Winnipeg sort of expected Toronto-Montreal to be the 7:00pm game and the fact we're playing on the Saturday at all has people here pretty pumped. What really surprises me is that instead of Calgary-Edmonton or even Vancouver-Calgary as the late game it's like Vancouver-Anaheim or some BS like that. Vancouver really has become the Toronto of the West it's extremely disappointing.

January 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

Toronto could have been playing Carolina or the Islanders and it still would have been a 7:00 start.
Saturday games for the Sens this season.

Jan 19, 3pm against Winnipeg
Feb 9, 2pm , against Winnipeg
Feb 16, 7pm against Toronto
Feb 23, 7pm against Toronto
Mar 2, 12pm against Philadelphia
Mar 16, 3pm against Buffalo
Mar 23, 2pm against Tampa
Mar 30, 7pm against Toronto
Apr 20, 7pm against Toronto
Apr 27, 7pm against Philadelphia

Anyone see a pattern here? 10 games, 5 start at 7pm, four of which are against Toronto.

Leafs meanwhile have 14 games on Saturdays and all of them start at 7pm

January 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I know, we just gotta face it, the NHL is all about Toronto. (Although that's also CBC and TSN) And probably NYR and Pittsburgh on the American side. And then the late slots are all about Vancouver. It was hard being a Sens fan out West where Toronto was the only team you could see on CBC for hockey, ever. We used to get Edmonton on Sportsnet but that was it. TSN was always a bit of a crap shoot. Me and my brother speak french fluently so we often just watched the french CBC so we could at least watch Montreal.

January 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

We used to watch Habs games on French TV. My young nephew didn't speak French and was very impressed with that "Larondelle" player. He was all over the ice playing big minutes.

January 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I don't mind afternoon games if I have absolutely nothing to do, but it does make it hard to watch a game on tv in the afternoon, it would be different attending a game live. As a former OHL season ticket holder the weekend afternoon games were a common thing so I got used to it.

January 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

This is one thing I can't bitch about being a sports fan on Pacific time is freaking awesome. Games at 4pm on weekdays for Ottawa and then Vancouver or SanJose at 7pm
Noon starts or whatever in the afternoon are perfect for taping and watching later with no chance of anyone here telling me about an Ottawa score.

January 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln