Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Screaming Trees drop nuts in midwinter

After years of truculent success the Screaming Trees finally relieved themselves of the sack of dead weight that is Brian Burke. In true Leafish fashion they not only did this less than two weeks before the season opener and after 113 days of the lockout, but they compounded their "genius" further in promoting Nonis to GM.

Looks like they are still following the Vancouver model of looking to finish first and falling flat, rather than sneaking in the eigth spot and winning it all.

January 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

AO, congrats on maybe the best thread title ever.

January 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Burke will stay on as an advisor. I don't see this being a change at all. Common sense would be to have this as a clean cut, blow up the team, admit that you want to have a younger, faster and developing team and pick someone who can draft and bring in quality people. Promoting Dallas Eakin to have a supportive and developing coach instead of another hard head.

The Leafs even suck at sucking!

January 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Good-bye, Brian. I'll never forget what we shared; "thank you, Kessel! clap clap clap-clap-clap"

January 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

... ditto. A piece of genius is what that was ...

January 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

So. They fire the GM who likes dirty goon style hockey and who brought in a coach who likes dirty goon style hockey. Replace him with a GM who built a team on speed and skill. Do they dump Carlyle too?

Don Cherry was behind this some how.

January 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Still, not as bad as MLSE hiring a current soccer player from Europe to coach Toronto FC. It literally equates to having Chris Phillips head coaching a team in the KHL right now. *facepalm*

And yes, both moves happened within the same week.

Someone over at MLSE has been sucking on the glue bag too hard...

January 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Dave Nonis, The Messiah version 14.0.

The timing of this move is just mind boggling. That whole organization is in disarray, from the top guy right down to the stick boy.

Brian Burke should run for mayor of Toronto. They deserve each other.

January 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

"Brian Burke should run for mayor of Toronto."

why would he want to take a step back like that?

January 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

If Ottawa fired Murray, would TSN drop everything to cover it?

January 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

they would if Brian Burke took over in Ottawa

January 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

And then he takes Bryan's team and wins the Stanley Cup. Where have I seen this scenario before?

January 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Amen!

And then he takes Bryan's team and wins the Stanley Cup. Where have I seen this scenario before?
LOL.

January 10, 2013 at 3:39 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Senior I thought about the same thing when I saw the TSN page. They had like, 11 videos about it.... lol.
Also yes, this is the best thread title ever.

The Leafs are a great example of how you can throw money at something, but it won't make it work.

January 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

The leafs are like that commercial with Mike Rowe for Dirty Jobs.

They don't get paid to succeed, they get paid to try and fail, which makes them very successful failures.

January 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM | Registered CommenterHomer