Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2013 Sens Lines

What are you projected lines?

There are 12 forwards under contract (Jesse Winchester is UFA with no deal at the moment).

LW - C - RW
Michalek - Spezza - Silfverberg
Latendresse - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Regin - Neil
Condra - Smith - O'Brien
(Scratch: Daugavins)

Karlsson - Methot
Gonchar - Wiercioch
Phillips - Benoit
(Injured: Lundin, Cowen)

Silfverberg will get the call to play on the top line with Spezza and Michalek. Wiercioch will replace Cowen, Benoit will replace Lundin. Bishop will be backup because he is not exempt from waivers.

January 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

the D will be a big question mark, I believe.

January 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Methot and Karlsson on D, no brainer

January 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

injuries are going to be the bane of a bunch of NHL teams and I hope to hell that Boston gets the most injuries of any team. I wouldn't shed a tear if that whole damn team got every one of their knees torn up.... F that jerk Jeremy Jacobs

January 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Don't forget ... Gonchar and Malkin apparently had a 'Brokeback Mountain' moment over in Russia and want to play together in Pittsburgh again ... awww, how sweet. Russians in love ...

I say whatever the Penguins want to give/trade us for a 35-plus year old defenseman is good by me ... if an elite team wants him, give us something good for him.

January 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Karlsson was tearing it up in Finland, more than a point per game average he's got his momentum so I can't wait to see how he pans out.

January 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Just thought of this - would you put in an offer sheet for PK Subban or Michael del Zotto for $4-5M? May cripple the current team and not be able to match, and if they do, they would be painted in the corner long term for the long term and make them overall less competitive.

January 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

I don't like the sideshow Subban brings with him (i.e. his big mouth), and his on ice skills are not enough to overlook that.

January 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Ok, I'm really interested in del Zotto now. I'd say 7years at $4.5M. Here's the compensation table:

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

First and 3rd for someone young like that could work. It cripples the rangers, so I don't think they'd match
Methot/Karlsson
Phillips/Gonchar
DelZotto/ Boroweicki
That could look good, and then next year with Gonchar out (or traded when Lundin gets healthy)

Methot/Karlsson
Phillips/Cowen
DelZotto/Boroweicki

In 2 years
Methot/Karlsson
Delzotto/Cowen
Ceci/Boroweicki

Borocop can be replaced with Weircoch or Benoit, but I prefer his physicality and grit compared to the other D I've named.

That and Bishop/Lehner, just start going broke for forwards in development and drafting and everything's good.

Thoughts?

January 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Guys, I would welcome Del Zotto with open arms to the Sens! I have been following his career since junior, he's awesome. Wouldn't want Subban on the team though.

January 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

I don't think the Sens go after Del Zotto for 2 reasons:
1. Rangers would not give up one of their few skilled dmen (unless a team overpays).
2. Giving up 2013 draft picks would not be smart in a deep draft.

I gotta revise my blue line projections...

Karlsson - Methot (unchanged, confirmed by Big Mac Stache)
Benoit - Wiercioch (this pairing has worked in all situations in the AHL, both have played 8 NHL games and wouldn't be totally unfamiliar)
Phillips - Gonchar (limited minutes for the older guys, but still serviceable)

January 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I agree about Benoit - Wiercoch as far as keeping the Bingo guys together, but I'd prefer it to be one of them and the other is Borocop to get some extra grit in the lineup. I also think that Regin would be the 4th line centre and Smith between Neil and Greening if that's the 3rd line as the checking line needs to have grit and size.

January 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Kuba's name would look good on that list right about now.

January 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Pittspuke doesn't want or need Gonchar if u heard Pierre McGuire today, Pittspuke has a million and a half Defenseman already and half of those will be HOFer's one day. I really have a small dislike for Pittspuke.

LOL @ Senior about Kuba, what's so funny is they really could use him now.

January 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I hope you are joking Senior. The situation on D isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. All Methot (or whoever is playing with Karlsson) has to do is ... pass it to Karlsson - that's it. Gonchar could stay in Russia for all I care. I'd much rather see 6'4 Gryba up here cleaning house in front of the net. Borocop, Wiercioch... Those guys are ready.

I'm more worried about scoring. Takes time to develop offensive chemistry. How short will the leash be on Latendresse on the 2nd line? Same for Silfverberg if he doesn't produce with Spezza and Michalek?

I'm also worried about Anderson in net. Remember he had a few stinkers last year... but Maclean showed patience with him. Well, can't afford that this year.

... yeah, I'm getting pre-season nerves! it feels good to be nervous/excited about the season! Can they skip training camp and just drop the puck already?!

January 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

" I really have a small dislike for Pittspuke." Say it right, TJ!

I'm concerned bout having 2 rookie defencemen on the team. That said, last year, they iced Con and Rundblad, and Weircoch and Boroweicki are older, so I may just be worrying for the sake of worrying.

I know there's, been a lot of talk about Andy no playing and practicing, but I think that all came from TSN overhanging one of his tweets. In one quick clip about Luongo working out in Florida with Francois Alaire, you see Lou doing a drill with a goalie in front of him. That's Anderson, so he has been working out.

January 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

"I hope you are joking Senior"

Aww. No. Kuba +/- 26. Next best 16, Karlsson & Alfredson. 2nd most minuets played per game by a Senator. Kuba 24. With Cowen out, Sens sure could use him this year.

January 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

You're right, Senior, but not for $4 million for 2 years.

January 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

His + / - can't sell me on the albatross contract he wanted. I know what Kuba brings to the table, but I'm much more excited to see what the young guns have to offer. Perfect time to throw them in the fire.

January 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Yeah Pan your right, I hate Pittspuke!!!!

January 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

"I hate Pittspuke!!!!"

there we go. TJ hates something again. we can drop the puck now.

January 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

My projected lines (at least to start the season with):

LW - C - RW
Michalek - Spezza - Greening
Latendresse - Turris - Alfredsson
O'Brien - Regin - Neil
Daugavins - Smith - Condra

No need to rush Silfverberg, Greening deserves another shot at the first line IMO. No scratch needed, everybody makes minutes, probably take an extra skater on a longer road trip. Shuffling is possible between the 3rd and 4th line.

D
Karlsson - Methot
Gonchar - Borocop
Phillips - Wiercioch
(Injured: Lundin, Cowen)

If I paired a rookie with Gonchar it would be the more stay-at-home, gritty type: Borocop or Gryba. I see room for Wiercioch, but more in a pairing with Philips. I think the pairing of an offensive with a defensive D-man has worked out for the Sens in the past. Long term I think the Sens should give Karlsson/Cowen another look. I really liked them together.

Goalies are clear: Anderson and Bishop.

January 10, 2013 at 3:36 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Nichols on the 6th Sens makes a good point:

My projected line up features 3 new pairings, where the chemistry is a question mark. A solution could be pairing Philips with Gonchar, but that's not really something to look forward to. Especially if they're to play a lot of minutes. I don't think there's any way around this though. The addition of a new D won't change the fact that all pairings will be new.
One way is calling up the pairing of Benoit and Wiercioch to play together. On the other hand, sometimes a pairing just works. Let's hope that's the case, 3 times.

January 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I like your D pairings Labru. Nice balance. Although, I think Benoit will be give a shot just because he's the second leading scorer in Bingo behind Silfverberg.

Silfverberg will play on the top line to start. He's got great hands, vision and wrister. Reminds me a lot of Alfie.

January 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

They're solid in nets and good at forward but the D is very ify. They maybe just OK with the guys they have now if they stay healthy. But with a lot of games squished together guys are going to get tired and there is more chance of injury. Murray has to pick up a couple of depth guys.

January 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior