Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Lockout is over

when does the schedule come out? I can't wait to buy tickets and merchandise!!!! yay I haven't been this excited since...well in like forever!!!

leave your grumpiness at the door fellas! You are supporting more than just owners and players by purchasing said items.

and whats this I hear about free Centre Ice? I have Bell does anyone know about that?

January 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

and whats this I hear about free Centre Ice? I have Bell does anyone know about that?

There has been a lot of noise from the fan side demanding something like NHLCE for free for the season as a "thank you / please don't leave us" offering by the league, but as far as I've heard it's just a demand and not a rumour of anything like free or reduced price actually happening.

January 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

If they want Russell back, they're gonna have to think bacon. Or maybe of they brought Chris Kelly back in an Ottawa uniform.

January 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Reduced gate prices would be perfect!

It would entice fans to fill up the arena and it would make the team look good. Doubt it will happen, though. They'll probably offer something small like key chains and one free parking voucher for the first night's attendees. No doubt it'll be lame.

January 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Interesting article from Bob McKenzie about what options the Rangers have with Redden.

1. Package him up with picks and trade him to a team cap space, essentially pay them to take Redden off their hands.
2. Send him to the AHL, but with the new CBA his cap hit still counts against the cap this season. BUT if he gets injured and is still injured during the buy out period for next season, then the Rangers can't buy him out.
3. Keep him up, but don't play him. Basically pay him to stay at home in a padded room so he doesn't get hurt. Even hire a chef to prepare his chicken.

the full details and rules of the CBA are not out yet, but if teams can't buy out an injured player. That not only makes things "interesting" for the Rangers, but for any team planning on buying out a player next season. If that player gets injured between now and then, you potentially can't buy him out and handcuff a team trying to get under the 64.3M cap.

January 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Ottawa has cap space, and should need another D man (realizing he's not the super star he once was), and he's likely still respected in the community.

A fit?

Redden cap hit + 1st rounder from NYR?

Maybe.. but doubt Melynk would open his wallet for this scenario though.

January 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM | Registered CommenterCanuck

If they wouldn't pay Kuba, they sure aren't going to pay Redden. And any first round pick they get would be a late pick.

January 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Guys, whatever you are smoking I want a puff!!

January 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Hey Canuck, what's up with the Dutch kids music? Thought I heard it during the podcast as well...

January 11, 2013 at 3:20 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

you're forgetting one thing about redden: he's no good anymore. omg, let this go!

January 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

You're right Sens Dawg... it was called "mind rape", and it was a good smoke.

January 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM | Registered CommenterCanuck

"Hey Canuck, what's up with the Dutch kids music? Thought I heard it during the podcast as well..."

This might be something only Ottawa locals will get. The local sports radio station here as a weekday morning show called TGOR (Three Guys on Radio). They have different sound clips they use for certain situations.

One situation is when SOMEBODY starts rambling on and on about something (or whining about something) they play that "Sni Sna Snappy" song overtop their voice - cut them right off :)

And hey, isn't that German? Not that I'm gonna argue with someone in Netherlands about their own language.. but... :) Oh, and I was over in your region in December (Brussels). By Canadian standards I was in your backyard, by Euro standards I'm sure I was a far far away :)

January 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM | Registered CommenterCanuck

I do listen sometimes to TGOR via Webradio, haven't heard it though. The song is originally German I believe, but this version sure is Dutch ;-) It's a funny way to cut someone of for sure. Here's the German version for comparison

I live in Gouda (yes, from the cheese), which is roughly 2 hours by highway (120km/h+, Canada uses km's right?) from Brussels. We think of that distance as quite far indeed, because we seldom have to travel that long. Don't see it as a problem though. The province I'm originally from (Zeeland) is even closer, an hour to Brussels Airport should be possible with not too much traffic. So yes, you were quite close!

January 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Take a hike, Peter

A few weeks ago, a bunch of creative members of cbcsports.ca had this amusing idea of showing what Peter Puck was doing during the lockout. One of the scenes was set in a coffee shop near the Air Canada Centre. Burke happened to be there.

When one of the CBC staffers approached Burke about posing for a photo with old mascot, Burke grumbled, "No. I'm not happy with the way CBC has treated the Maple Leafs, and you can tell the boys downtown."

That's Burke. He can be compassionate and charitable one moment, bombastic and a bully in the next.

January 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

... are you KIDDING me ... the CBC is the un-official mascot for LeafsTV! What the hell was the guy thinking ...

January 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

So that's why he was fired.

January 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

"Unhappy with how CBC treated the Leafs"

What, does he think HNIC should have Joe Bowen for their lead announcer as Bob Cole isn't a big enough homer?

Or perhaps that HNIC should be HNIGTA / HNILN (Leafs Nation) since Toronto is the centre of the universe and the Leafs are like the Vatican of hockey (as said in his bitter-with-a-veneer-of-poliltically-correct presser today)?

Suck it Phaneuf! And Burke!

January 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Habs tell Gomez to stay home

They'll still pay him, but they don't want to risk him getting injured and not be able to buy him out this summer.

What can get interesting is if there are other injuries and the Habs can't call anyone else up because of roster number restrictions while having a healthy body just sitting there.

I wonder what other teams will sit a player out like that? Rangers with Redden is almost assured.

Not sure what the situation with Boston and Tim Thomas is. He's only under contract until this year, but he doesn't report to camp and Boston suspends him I think his contract would slide to next year. Boston would probably buy him out. Question is which is cheaper, pay him for 48 games this season regardless and be done with him, or buy him out this summer.

January 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Sad but true article:
Sutcliffe

January 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Agreement to allow early buyouts. Good news for players like Redden and Gomez.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

January 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Thx Russell for that article

He and Jeremy Jacobs and their ilk are the reason I was so pissed at the owners for what they did but it's over and Wirtz and Jacobs are still and will always be rich assholes.

January 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln